Shawn Smith of Brad, Satchel, and Pigeonhed has passed away

This is a board for discussion about grunge on the whole. Stuff that doesn't relate to specific bands alone can go in here. Feel free to share with us how you discovered grunge and give your opinion as to what grunge is to you.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

KristinNirvana
Site Admin
Location: The Mecca, the Holyland, the one and only....SEATTLE!

Shawn Smith of Brad, Satchel, and Pigeonhed has passed away

Post by KristinNirvana » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:13 am

Shawn Smith has passed away. I don't know the details of how it happened but various people in the scene are posting about it on facebook. I first heard it from Marco Collins, the KEXP radio DJ. So now we have 3 Seattle singers who have died on April 5th :( I heard the news right after leaving from the park by Kurt's house to pay my respects.
Life isn't nearly as sacred as the appreciation of passion
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud
Post abortive? Go to https://passboards.org/ for support

sadie

Re: Shawn Smith of Brad and Satchel has passed away

Post by sadie » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:17 am

Someone said complications related to diabetes, but nothing verified yet 😢
I come from a country of northern lights, lightless days and nightless nights.
I'm not gonna sit around and waste my precious divine energy trying to explain and be ashamed of things you think are wrong with me.

KristinNirvana
Site Admin
Location: The Mecca, the Holyland, the one and only....SEATTLE!

Re: Shawn Smith of Brad, Satchel, and Pigeonhed has passed away

Post by KristinNirvana » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:56 pm

Marco Collins just wrote this on Facebook,

"Hey y'all, I know that when we lose somebody we all look for answers but I think someone jumped the gun as to the cause of death for Shawn Smith.

I just got this message from Shawn's friend and Brad bandmate, Regan Hägar regarding the claim that Shawn died from complications of diabetes:

"This is not true and getting spread pretty far. Is there a way you could help remove that false info for us? He had a heart issue unrelated to diabetes. It tough as the Seattle Times also wrote some false info. I figure I’ll try to help shawn in this way. Hope you’re well. Stay strong ❤️"
-Regan"
Life isn't nearly as sacred as the appreciation of passion
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud
Post abortive? Go to https://passboards.org/ for support

sadie

Post by sadie » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:19 am

Oh good to know!
I come from a country of northern lights, lightless days and nightless nights.
I'm not gonna sit around and waste my precious divine energy trying to explain and be ashamed of things you think are wrong with me.

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:24 pm

I remember friends had set up a GoFundMe for him a while ago and he was pretty pissed off about it. He did struggle with financial and health problems but he didn't want anybody's pity for that. Another great Seattle voice is gone, and that April 5 date makes it kinda spooky indeed.

This will always be my favorite song featuring his voice. I put it on the mix I gave my students when they got their high school degree.
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
otherimprov wrote:And who made you president of grunge town?