GREENRIVER....fathers of grunge?

Some say Green River was the group that started it all. The band members would later go on to be in Mother Love Bone, Mudhoney and Pearl Jam. Come express your opinion on how grunge started and the role Green River had in its formation.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana, evee103, boxcar, j-bug

Angst-Ridden
Grunge prophet

GREENRIVER....fathers of grunge?

Post by Angst-Ridden » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:33 am

Does anyone else consider them fathers of grunge? They were the first seattle grunge band and they gave birth to other bands and are connected with most grunge bands... Monkeywrench, Mudhoney, Steve Turner (solo), PearlJam, The Melvins, BloodLoss, the list is endless.....
Can anyone argue they were not the fathers of grunge? Anyone else think of a band that they think was the father of grunge?
>>>Insert cheesey saying or quote<<<

March2Fuzz
Grunge master

Post by March2Fuzz » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:37 am

I dont know.. Melvins could be, Malfunkshun maybe?? But those bands were taking little bits of influence from earlier bands. They evolved from on bands like U-Men and those really early alternative/punk bands, so could you call them "the fathers of grunge?".. Thats what i think anyway. But im not really that fussed...
There you are...when you stand in the rain,
and the rain fills your brain
makes you think that god......was fucked up
when he made this town

Angst-Ridden
Grunge prophet

Post by Angst-Ridden » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:46 am

im not an epert on early grunge... never heard of U-Men... did they come from seattle? Cus i think the fathers of grunge definatly have to come from seattle...

Leech Bucket
Grunge guru
Location: A place in a little small town. The only way to get there is to go straight down.

Post by Leech Bucket » Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:41 pm

I'd say they are the "first child" of grunge. The Melvins was the father of grunge and Malfunkshun was the mother.
Jesus built my car
It’s a love affair
Mainly jesus and my hot rod

Leech Bucket
Grunge guru
Location: A place in a little small town. The only way to get there is to go straight down.

Post by Leech Bucket » Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:49 pm

They def do
Jesus built my car
It’s a love affair
Mainly jesus and my hot rod

Angst-Ridden
Grunge prophet

Post by Angst-Ridden » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:00 pm

Adam you didnt need to post all that... i knew therewere alot of bands that came from around seattle... i was just saying that the Farther had to come from Seattle or atleast near it!!
Perhaps historically U-Men or the Melvins were the first Grunge band... but since apparently Mark Arm was the first to invent the word grunge... green river was the first Grunge band. Also many people may have thought they were the first definitive sound of grunge...

Angst-Ridden
Grunge prophet

Post by Angst-Ridden » Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:30 am

Ok... i believe you, ofcourse im gonna have to listen to some U-Men before i can decide whether they are first grunge or punk going on grunge.. ill probably try and download some

incessantmace
Site Admin

Re: GREENRIVER....fathers of grunge?

Post by incessantmace » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:58 am

Wow, a very detailed sum-up of grunge regionalism, Adam! I only noticed this just now, so have my belated thanks for this :D

Don't forget that Tad was originally from Boise, too. And that mini wave of the Gits, 7 Year Bitch and Alcohol Funnycar who immigrated from Ohio to Seattle. I think some other persons of the grunge panorama came from places outside the Pacific Northwest, but it doesn't change the whole picture.
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
P A I V wrote: fuck off i talk new york

Christeson
Grunge fan

Post by Christeson » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:58 am

Hey everyone, this is my first post here. Big grunge fan, but obviously not as big as I once thought. A lot of that information blew me away and some of those bands I have never heard of. I'm going to have to check them out. As far as Green River being the fathers of grunge? I'd say their more like the visionaries. They saw where the music at that time was headed and took the road first. Thats my opinion.

The above site is pretty cool if you want to make a little extra money.

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:23 am

Hey Christeson, welcome to the board! Yes, there are some pretty big grunge fans around here, but make sure you don't mess with the Alice Mafia :shock: :wink2:

(Oops, just noticed your post was from two weeks ago... don't be mad, usually the bunch around here is pretty quick with saying hello to new members :) )

Why don't you post in the Introduction section and tell us a little bit more about yourself?
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
P A I V wrote: fuck off i talk new york

j-bug
Site Admin

Post by j-bug » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:01 am

LESS of the Alice Mafia talk punk.esecialy if you know whats good for you.
:twisted:

Pennyroyaltea
Grunge God

Post by Pennyroyaltea » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:20 pm

Christeson wrote:Hey everyone, this is my first post here. Big grunge fan, but obviously not as big as I once thought. A lot of that information blew me away and some of those bands I have never heard of. I'm going to have to check them out. As far as Green River being the fathers of grunge? I'd say their more like the visionaries. They saw where the music at that time was headed and took the road first. Thats my opinion.
yea i would have to agree with that!!!!
shanze wrote:And you will. You will.

Then you put your spell on him and Jerry shall be yours.

FOREVER!

infinitegrunge
Grunge zealot

Post by infinitegrunge » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:45 pm

What does that even mean? If there was someone to show them where the music was going, they wouldn't have done it first. And if they DID do it first because they somehow envisioned "where music was going" (which I doubt since they were just guys making music cuz they were bored) then they are the fathers of grunge.

Pennyroyaltea
Grunge God

Post by Pennyroyaltea » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:35 pm

infinitegrunge wrote:What does that even mean? If there was someone to show them where the music was going, they wouldn't have done it first. And if they DID do it first because they somehow envisioned "where music was going" (which I doubt since they were just guys making music cuz they were bored) then they are the fathers of grunge.
thats not what this means
shanze wrote:And you will. You will.

Then you put your spell on him and Jerry shall be yours.

FOREVER!

nicos
Grunge fan

Re:

Post by nicos » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:51 am

Angst-Ridden wrote:Adam you didnt need to post all that... i knew therewere alot of bands that came from around seattle... i was just saying that the Farther had to come from Seattle or atleast near it!!
Perhaps historically U-Men or the Melvins were the first Grunge band... but since apparently Mark Arm was the first to invent the word grunge... green river was the first Grunge band. Also many people may have thought they were the first definitive sound of grunge...
nah he didn't invent the word nor was he the first to coin the music grunge he said so himself.