Dr Feelgood/Wilko Johnson

Talk about non grunge music and music in general in here. Don't be shy, we don't bite.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, j-bug, KristinNirvana, evee103, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, boxcar

XsInMyEyes
Grunge master

Dr Feelgood/Wilko Johnson

Post by XsInMyEyes »

Nope, not the Motley Crue album... I'm talking about the bluesy, RNB proto-Punk-ish act from Canvey Island, Essex active in the the 1970s. My father, last I checked, is a massive fan.

With Wilko Johnson -who left in 1977 (they started getting popular after that TBH) and who I have seen live - they have an interesting, and pretty unique sound ... in a time where rock was getting pretty decadent with prog and glam, these guys were definitely all about taking it back to its raw, minimalist, hard-driving roots, with Wilko Johnson's scratchy riffs and Lee Brillaux (lord rest :( ) with his intense singing.

I'll share two tracks from the 1975 debut album Down by the Jetty - which was apparently a huge influence on the Punk/new-wave/post-punk scene, an odd thing for a blues/RNB band - they were a massive influence on Pistols, the Clash, the Damned, the Jam and Gang of Four (you can really hear that on some GoF songs like "Damaged Goods")
Among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected.
- William of Occcam
XsInMyEyes
Grunge master

Re: Dr Feelgood/Wilko Johnson (RIP)

Post by XsInMyEyes »

What a tragic coincidence :cry:

It was sadly announced today that Wilko Johnson died aged 75 on 21st November 2022, which just so happens to be 1 year anniversary of me creating this thread :(

It was a privilege to have seen him live. For me, his really angular, scratchy guitar playing made WJ possibly the most unique British guitarist of all time.
My heart goes out to the family. His legacy will live on forever, the WJ style influenced all manner of artists from the Sex Pistols, Blondie, The Ramones, Kurt Cobain's favourite Gang Of Four, you name it.

As a silver lining, I really think some people on this forum might like some of his stuff - especially from the early days with his band Dr Feelgood - they were like a bar band on steroids, kind of the missing link between 50s Rock N Roll and 70s punk.
Among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected.
- William of Occcam