Where would Nirvana be if Kurt lived...

Come as you are if you feel stupid and contagious, come over here and entertain us!

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

harrytruman
Grunge maniac

Re: Where would Nirvana be if Kurt lived...

Post by harrytruman »

nirvana & grunge would rule the 90's & 00's as well

there would be no boybands like backstreet boys or nysnc

rap music would less popluar

music today would be very diffrent
[quote="incessantmace"]No. He was there before Earth Itself was created. He Is the One who commands the Old Ones in shock and awe simply by being. Eons shrink to mere instants before Him, and Eternity itself is dwarfed by His sheer Existence. He Is, Was and Shall Forever Be, because Life and Death and Matter and Space and Time rest upon the Cosmic Entity of Entities that is Him. harrytruman.[/quote]
TheBrothersMudd
Grunge zealot

Post by TheBrothersMudd »

harrytruman wrote:nirvana & grunge would rule the 90's & 00's as well

Thats retarded, rap was popular before Nirvana, and I can honestly see Kurt (if he got clean and continued making music) making an album with a rap artist,

"Rap music is the only vital form of music introduced since punk rock" - Kurt Cobain

and with the boy bands, that probably would of happened too.
yep
harrytruman
Grunge maniac

Post by harrytruman »

TheBrothersMudd wrote:
harrytruman wrote:nirvana & grunge would rule the 90's & 00's as well

Thats retarded, rap was popular before Nirvana, and I can honestly see Kurt (if he got clean and continued making music) making an album with a rap artist,

"Rap music is the only vital form of music introduced since punk rock" - Kurt Cobain

and with the boy bands, that probably would of happened too.
the reason boy bands got famous because grunge music faded away
if grunge didn't fade away the boy band fad would have never happened
[quote="incessantmace"]No. He was there before Earth Itself was created. He Is the One who commands the Old Ones in shock and awe simply by being. Eons shrink to mere instants before Him, and Eternity itself is dwarfed by His sheer Existence. He Is, Was and Shall Forever Be, because Life and Death and Matter and Space and Time rest upon the Cosmic Entity of Entities that is Him. harrytruman.[/quote]
TheBrothersMudd
Grunge zealot

and with the boy bands, that probably would of happened too.[/quote]
the reason boy bands got famous because grunge music faded away
if grunge didn't fade away the boy band fad would have never happened[/quote]

How can you possibly know that?
yep
TheBrothersMudd
Grunge zealot

The Backstreet Boys formed in 1993, thats when Nirvana was still around.
A-Ha formed in the 80's
and even before that New Edition started in 1978

Boy bands have been around for a long time, you can't blame their popularity on the death (or fading away) of Grunge.
yep
Creeper113
Grunge prophet

Post by Creeper113 »

Boybands were around long before Nirvana, groups like New Kids on the Block were cornering the teen market in the mid 80's
SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven »

Rap and boy bands were around well before Nirvana and grunge. Those genres were always very popular, the only reason we, here at this lovely forum, reference them from grunge's "death" to the present is because thats when they gained strength. After the demise of Grunge they gained traction and a spotlight because labels, music television were looking for something new and "safer". Rap and boy bands were always really popular, they always sold records, they always had big hit songs and big named artists. But after the 70's punk rock craze, 80's metal phenomena and Grunge's brief stit, the media wanted something safer to promote.

They were always popular, the only different is once the new craze faded something had to step in...They were always popular, but the demise of Grunge did help their stock just a tad.
XsInMyEyes
Grunge master

Post by XsInMyEyes »

I do feel that Nirvana’s studio body of work was complete.
Then again, “Do Re Mi” certainly had a ‘goodbye’ type of flavour to it. That does incline me to view the route of a 4th, final album, the ‘farewell’ record. I think that Kurt would’ve followed through with his talk of “really ethereal and acoustic”, because such a description suits “Do Re Mi” very well indeed (counterpoint: “YKYR” does not), as it does the nature of a farewell record.

Seeing as punk music and The Beatles were a profound influence to Cobain, I have some speculative thoughts that he may have wound up residing in Britain or Europe. Known and remarkably famous there he might have been, although not quite to the extent of that in America, not least Seattle, so that would have been preferable to him.

If there was/is a way to retire completely from public life, Kurt would’ve gone down that avenue at some point, in my opinion. I can adjudge that much from his psychology.
I struggle to ponder what he would think of the world today. There is no question in my mind that he would detest social media, smartphones, memes, bad music, celebrity worship, and he would not much care for reality television, either — simply put, he was ‘true’ as a human being, these things would have been a profound clash with his nature.

All I know is that if I can be a hundredth of the cultivator of artistic brilliance that he was, I would be very delighted indeed.
Among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected.
- William of Occcam
buckwheat
Grunge maniac

Post by buckwheat »

Coming out with a new style, alot of doors were open to him. Maybe doing some more acoustic things...maybe Dave and Kurt would collaborate more. RIP Kurt. Happy B day.
Spite all my rage.....i am still making minimum wage.
BleedTheFreak
Grunge guru

Post by BleedTheFreak »

This is all just personal speculation, so, take it all with a grain of salt.

Not much would change in terms of the music industry, most of the trends in mid-late 90s/early-00s music (post-grunge, nu metal, boy bands, pop punk, etc) were already gaining commercial relevance by the time Kurt went out, they were already on the look for the next 'Nirvana' and those trends were really less of a cultural thing and more the result of market forces. The Mickey Mouse Club gang (J. Timberlake, Britney Spears, etc) would still be picked up by RCA, written songs for by Max Martin & co, and processed through the first version of Anteres' pitch correction (autotune), throw in Napster and illegal downloading and the rise of modern pop music is an unfortunate inevitability as the industry shifts from one that sends A&R guys to scout for 'hip' bands into one that completely manufactures them.

The real unfortunate part of Cobain living is that Nirvana would hold far less relevance in the modern day, they'd be 'that 90's band' first and foremost and the number of post-grunge ripoffs would beat that horse dead in any timeline, though, I think without Kurt's martyr status, there'd probably be a few more Pearl Jam knockoffs and a few less Nirvana ones, since, indirectly, I think Pearl Jam would probably stay together a bit longer, but AiC would still break up due to Staley and SG probably still retires and Chris goes to Audioslave. I think a good portion of Nirvana's maintained success today, in our timeline, is because "they" (the label and rock mags) continue to use the 'rock martyr' image for as much cash as it's worth, Nirvana in Forever 21/Urban Outfitters and such -- not that Nirvana wouldn't still be a trendy t-shirt and successful otherwise, but they'd be more comparable in modern success to a 90s' Pink Floyd than a The Beatles, by 2014, you'd see a lot less bands still trying to emulate Nirvana than you would in our timeline.

Krist and Kurt would've fallen out, almost a given, but Novoselic would probably have a bit more of a musical future outside of his short time in Eyes Adrift and Sweet 75, but he still probably would've went down the 'indie rock' path, but I could see him ending up in a Sonic Youth/Dinosaur Jr-type act for a good few years and maybe having a one-hit wonder in '97 when britpop blew up. Likewise, Krist still would've been the more political one of the bunch and have changed careers, he still would've been turned off by the vandalization at the 1999 WTO protests, and ended up a libertarian like today, which, more than likely driving a further wedge between him and Kurt, who was far, far more left-wing.

Kurt would've pressured Dave to start a new band, and I could see Pat Smear joining him, but I really don't think this band would be the Foo Fighters, the material they first put out would probably be Marigold + the Pocketwatch demos, but instead of Dave starting off on his complete lonesome to cope with Cobain's death, Grohl would have a whole band, maybe comprising of other Seattle locals, which means that the SDRE guys more than likely won't be the ones joining him, thus no falling out w/ Goldsmith, means Taylor Hawkins stays the drummer for Alanis Morisette, of all the changes, this is the biggest because we get a completely different FF, different purpose, different tone, different members -- which by process of the butterfly effect means that nu-AIC would probably pretty sound different w/out Raskulinecz's involvement.

As for Cobain himself, much like the others posting here, I think that Nirvana was pretty much done at that point and he would've probably gotten away from the spotlight for a good while. I could see him becoming more of the hermit-rare collaborative singer-songwriter type, doing more stuff w/ Mark Lanegan + stuff with David Bowie, Leonard Cohen, Neil Young, Michael Stipe, Daniel Johnston, Kim Deal, J. Mascis, Michael Gira, etc, potentially even someone newer like Thom Yorke, Elliott Smith, or Jeff Buckley down the line -- certainly more acoustic pop-rock and outsider music.

Based on his interests and activities in late '93, I could see him expanding his artistic desires outside of music, likely expanding into writing prose or maybe even full-on fiction and, of course, far more abstract painting; not really as a "career" but more a life-fulfillment hobby. He'd likely voice his support for his grunge-mates going against the mid-90s music censorship scare and Ticketmaster, and would probably take pretty sourly to Albini being blacklisted in the industry, but his public persona and actual involvement in the music world would be super limited. Instead, he'd be more likely to continue meeting with other artists more in his philosophical sphere from different mediums, meeting and collaborating in private, could see him doing more with Quentin Tarantino and of course William S. Burroughs -- probably meeting with Hunter S. Thompson, working more with Gus Van Sant, and through him, maybe even meeting the likes of Larry Clark/Harmony Korine, Lydia Lunch, Hubert Selby, Irvine Welsh, or Lars Von Trier. Cobain would be one of those people who'd occasionally pop up in the strangest of movie credits and liner notes, and you'd hear him mentioned as 'having worked with that guy' in interviews by the more out-there artists.

Kurt would almost certainly sell his home and move out of Seattle, where to? I don't know, but likely somewhere less urban and more remote, and by this point, almost inevitably end up divorcing Love, but depending on his maintained relationship with his daughter and his heroin usage, it wouldn't be too surprising if he ended up committing suicide anyway, but, since we're trying to picture a happy alt. future where that doesn't happen, he'd probably meet a Yoko Ono-type down the road, who everyone would hate even more than Courtney, since she'd likely be the final nail in the coffin of his public life, but that would probably be his saving grace.
"Black windows of paint; I scratched with my nails." | "In the darkest hole, you'd be well advised not to plan my funeral before the body dies."
Ⓐ 𝑺𝑬𝑬 𝒀𝑶𝑼 𝑺𝑷𝑨𝑪𝑬 𝑪𝑶𝑾𝑩𝑶𝒀 ☭ | twitter | instagram | tumblr (i know)