Dark acts - NIN INCH NAILS, DEATH GRIPS, EL-P, ALLFLAWS

Talk about non grunge music and music in general in here. Don't be shy, we don't bite.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

kurtlover
Grunge fan

Re: Dark acts - NIN INCH NAILS, DEATH GRIPS, EL-P, ALLFLAWS

Post by kurtlover »

Zodiac_n_Black wrote:This... fans of Breaking Bad might recognise the first track. This album is just sooooooo good. All the videos she did for this album are also incredible, I really hope she returns to this project for a second album. Gutted I didn't see her live.
Hey thanks for this - awesome stuff
Damien Levs
Grunge fanatic

Post by Damien Levs »

shanze wrote:
kurtlover wrote:Hi, outside grunge I am very interested in collecting dark experimental sounds from all over the world. All styles and genres - No boundaries. Please let me know your favorite videos, tracks, albums, artists etc. I will post stuff up too.

Some of my recent favs include
How to Destroy Angels,Nin,Tool,
EL-P, Atoms For Peace, Unkle
Death Grips, Allflaws,
EL-P, Atoms For Peace.

Thanks
Antichrist Superstar and Holy Wood are really fucking good dark themed albums by Marilyn Manson. Mechanical Animals is also a fantastic album but it is much less "dark".
Mechanical Animals just reminds me of David Bowies Ziggy Stardust.
August in Thorns is writing material...
kurtlover
Grunge fan

Post by kurtlover »

Nin - Various Methods of escape - Jimmy Kimmel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw8q4vgG6Sc
kurtlover
Grunge fan

Post by kurtlover »

Music heads u might like this.
What Difference Does It Make: A Film About Making Music.
By Redbull music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EDnMFJiv8U
Scarabola
Grunge God

Post by Scarabola »

kurtlover
Grunge fan

Post by kurtlover »

Nin - Love is not Enough........................so raw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YRtIFziESI
kurtlover
Grunge fan

Post by kurtlover »

Scarabola wrote:
Love it ;)
BleedTheFreak
Grunge guru

Post by BleedTheFreak »

kurtlover wrote:Hi, outside grunge I am very interested in collecting dark experimental sounds from all over the world. All styles and genres - No boundaries. Please let me know your favorite videos, tracks, albums, artists etc. I will post stuff up too.

Death Grips, Allflaws,
EL-P, Atoms For Peace.

Thanks
Nine Inch Nails is the best one.

Hmm. Tool, without a doubt, A Perfect Circle has some moments. Joy Division on their 'Closer' album, Radiohead and Placebo emulate that vibe a bit, but they aren't dark, merely apathetic/melancholic. Alice in Chains' heavier stuff, especially the 'Dirt' album more than anything else, some Nirvana too, specifically on 'In Utero'. There's a really great dark atmospheric band called FVNERALS. In a similar vein, check out a few atmospheric black metal bands, Kres and Kalmankantaja are the ones that come most immediately to mind. Also, searching through post-rock is a good bet if you can find your way around all the light-hearted EITS-wannabes. Audrey Fall is a good one, Sun Devoured Earth, Slint (Steve Albini's genius reflects on their 'Spiderland' album) The Parlour Trick. More than all, check out Godspeed You! Black Emperor's 'F#A#infinity' because that album is soul devouring. In terms of the heavier, faster-paced stuff, there's Behemoth, DROPDEAD, Amebix, Converge, Rudimentary Peni, Scar The Martyr, Brutal Truth, Bring Me The Horizon (~2013), definitely give Of Mice & Men's 'The Flood: Reissue' a listen, Oceano is also a great example, they balance between the heaviest death core to exist and sudden slow instrumentals that fuck you up. Bathory is a really good source in terms of their later material such as Blood, Fire, Death'. Black Sabbath's original self-titled album. Throbbing Gristle and practically any industrial. Raein is pretty bleak at times (not much anymore). City of Caterpillar, Circle Takes The Square, Loma Prieta and pg.99 as well. Celtic Frost, Venom. The Jesus and Mary Chain (debatably). The Jesus Lizard had a great track called 'Valentine' off their 1996 self-titled EP. StoneSour's self-titled EP. Suicide Silence's 'The Cleansing'. Depeche Mode's 'Violator' and Echo & The Bunnymen's 'Ocean Rain', Ian Mackaye's side-bands 'Fugazi', 'The Evens' and 'Embrace'.
"Black windows of paint; I scratched with my nails." | "In the darkest hole, you'd be well advised not to plan my funeral before the body dies."
instagram | 90's tumblr | No, I still don't listen to Pearl Jam.
kurtlover
Grunge fan

Post by kurtlover »

BleedTheFreak wrote:

Death Grips, Allflaws,
EL-P, Atoms For Peace.

Thanks
Nine Inch Nails is the best one.

Hmm. Tool, without a doubt, A Perfect Circle has some moments. Joy Division on their 'Closer' album, Radiohead and Placebo emulate that vibe a bit, but they aren't dark, merely apathetic/melancholic. Alice in Chains' heavier stuff, especially the 'Dirt' album more than anything else, some Nirvana too, specifically on 'In Utero'. There's a really great dark atmospheric band called FVNERALS. In a similar vein, check out a few atmospheric black metal bands, Kres and Kalmankantaja are the ones that come most immediately to mind. Also, searching through post-rock is a good bet if you can find your way around all the light-hearted EITS-wannabes. Audrey Fall is a good one, Sun Devoured Earth, Slint (Steve Albini's genius reflects on their 'Spiderland' album) The Parlour Trick. More than all, check out Godspeed You! Black Emperor's 'F#A#infinity' because that album is soul devouring. In terms of the heavier, faster-paced stuff, there's Behemoth, DROPDEAD, Amebix, Converge, Rudimentary Peni, Scar The Martyr, Brutal Truth, Bring Me The Horizon (~2013), definitely give Of Mice & Men's 'The Flood: Reissue' a listen, Oceano is also a great example, they balance between the heaviest death core to exist and sudden slow instrumentals that fuck you up. Bathory is a really good source in terms of their later material such as Blood, Fire, Death'. Black Sabbath's original self-titled album. Throbbing Gristle and practically any industrial. Raein is pretty bleak at times (not much anymore). City of Caterpillar, Circle Takes The Square, Loma Prieta and pg.99 as well. Celtic Frost, Venom. The Jesus and Mary Chain (debatably). The Jesus Lizard had a great track called 'Valentine' off their 1996 self-titled EP. StoneSour's self-titled EP. Suicide Silence's 'The Cleansing'. Depeche Mode's 'Violator' and Echo & The Bunnymen's 'Ocean Rain', Ian Mackaye's side-bands 'Fugazi', 'The Evens' and 'Embrace'.

Hey thanks for that. I'm going to go through some of these artists and albums you have recommended. You know your stuff. Cheers
incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace »

BleedTheFreak wrote:Ian Mackaye's side-bands 'Fugazi'
You didn't actually just call Fugazi his "side-band". You clearly did not do that.
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
otherimprov wrote:And who made you president of grunge town?
BleedTheFreak
Grunge guru

Post by BleedTheFreak »

incessantmace wrote:
You didn't actually just call Fugazi his "side-band". You clearly did not do that.
Soory, but Ian Mackaye will always be synonymous with Minor Threat, no matter how short of a time they were around for or how many albums Fugazi had released.
"Black windows of paint; I scratched with my nails." | "In the darkest hole, you'd be well advised not to plan my funeral before the body dies."
instagram | 90's tumblr | No, I still don't listen to Pearl Jam.
incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace »

BleedTheFreak wrote:
incessantmace wrote:
Soory, but Ian Mackaye will always be synonymous with Minor Threat, no matter how short of a time they were around for or how many albums Fugazi had released.
Uh, and that is decided by whom? I know you're obsessed with hardcore, hence I'm pretty sure you're actually aware of Fugazi's influence on the post-hardcore and alternative scene. Apart from that, it's pretty disrespectful towards an artist that you admire to limit his band of close to thirty years to a "side-band".
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
otherimprov wrote:And who made you president of grunge town?
sevastopol
Grunge maniac

Post by sevastopol »

i was just thinking about how vague of a subject this was lol
echo; she/her or they/them; don't call me my birthname ever
ex cupid_come_as_u_r
kurtlover
Grunge fan

Post by kurtlover »

Noel goes all deep n dark