Raphael Gordon's bands (Mental Mannequin, Colour Twigs)

A section for bands from the original grunge explosion that don't have their own category.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

incessantmace
Site Admin

Raphael Gordon's bands (Mental Mannequin, Colour Twigs)

Post by incessantmace » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:45 am

Okay, this is a really long shot, but does anybody have info on Raphael Gordon's bands Mental Mannequin and Colour Twigs? Thanks to Cory (you're still my hero :mrgreen: ) I know they contributed to the Pyrrhic Victory tape compilation but apparently didn't release any records. What I didn't know until today was that Mr Gordon resurfaced decades later as a top producer for bands like The Strokes or Regina Spektor! Quite some yards from the murky depths of Seattle's eighties underground, huh? :lol:

Anyway, if any of our omniscient grungopedia wizards (*cough*Mike*cough*) knows anything about those two bands I'd be delighted to hear it!
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
P A I V wrote: fuck off i talk new york

MakeEricTripThanLOL
Grunge fanatic

Re: Raphael Gordon's bands (Mental Mannequin, Colour Twigs)

Post by MakeEricTripThanLOL » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:40 pm

Here is an old video of Colour Twigs live in '84.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ks4VvXIDuo
You ever heard the story of Mr. Faded Glory? Say he who rides a pony must someday fall.

SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:37 pm

The Colour Twigs did release records. They have a record out on ChuckieBoy Records called "Sticks And Stoned" which, I think compiles their best work. And they also released a self titled album on the same label.

Gordon was also in a Seattle band called Sky Cries Mary (who aren't tooooo shabby, mind you :wink2: ).

Here's a gig poster of MM that was used when they played at the Showbox:

http://www.gigposters.com/poster/14674_ ... equin.html

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:36 am

Okay, so I'm trying to get enough info together for a decent article about MM, and it's a real pain in the ass!

So far I've only learned they got together in 1980 (but not for how long they played) and that at one time or another their lineup consisted of Barbara Ireland (who's got a project running with Stone Gossard right now!), Mike Davidson (also of The Lewd), Upchuck (who died of AIDS in 1991 :( ) and Gordon himself. Discogs.com only knows of their sole song on Pyrrhic Victory. I don't even know what kind of music they played, only that it included synthesizers, but some guy in another forum referred to MM as "one of my first punk shows".

Early Seattle music scene is a giant mess, I tell you. :roll:
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:05 am

Okay, nothing beats the social networks when it come to tracking down Seattle veterans :lol: So I contacted Gordon Raphael directly via FB and he told me the following (just in case anybody else but me is interested :P ):
Gordon Raphael wrote:Mental Mannequin- 1980-'81 Members: Tor Richard Midtskog, Gordon Raphael. Mike Davidson, Pony Maurice, Ben Ireland, Barbie Ireland and Upchuck. Combination of New Wave and Prog music-- not a popular combination at the time. Played at the fsamous punk venue The Showbox in Seattle, Washington. This was not really pre-grunge, but was part of the post punk movement which incorperated many styles. 'Grunge' started forming in about 1986 and that was really a reactionary combination of long hair (which was forbidden during the punk years!) and heavy rock by some players who had a quite developed technique (Skinyard, Soundgarden), and some who played more by feeling-- (Mother Love Bone, Mudhoney) Mental Mannequin recorded a 7 song ep that was never officially released. Best songs: Mannequins On Parade, Autistic Child, Substitute Music, Soul Survivor and Criminal Mind.
Gordon Raphael wrote:Colour Twigs played in Seattle from 1982- 1986, with a yearlong break in '84 when Gordon Raphael first went to England and Europe. The band was formed when Mental Mannequin members Upchuck, Ben Ireland, Barbie Ireland and Pony Maurice started their own bands called The Fags and Sleeping Movement successively. Mike Davidson played bass in both Colour Twigs and Sleeping Movement. Tor Richard Midtskog and Gordon Raphael were the main writers for Colour Twigs, and the band played many shows in the small downtown club scene. The band featured early use of backing tracks and drum machines (Roland 808 and CR-78), Arp Odyssey Synth and vintage Fender guitars. Later several drummers joined for the live show, and on some of the recordings. Colour Twigs played a psychedelic- new wave combination of sounds, and released a 12 song record. Best songs: Somewhere, I Said, So Tempermental, SWDWSWT.
Any other archaeologists of pre-hype Seattle music scene, you're welcome :mrgreen: