64 Spiders

A section for bands from the original grunge explosion that don't have their own category.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

SayHello2Heaven

64 Spiders

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:26 pm

So, what does Cat Butt and 64 Spiders have in common?
Well, they both use animals in their name, and they both hail from the great northwest. But they even share band members. Before Cat Butt released their triumphiant Journey To The Center Of Cat Butt LP, and before their first ever "64 Funny Cars" LP, Brother James was involved in this highly obscure and not well documented band. They were featured on the tremendous C/Z Another Pyrrhic Compilation, but they didn't last much longer after that, and didn't leave behind many songs for our ears to enjoy. I believe the band lasted for 2 or 3 years, and the members went off to form bands such as Cat Butt, Yummy, Skin Yard, Gruntruck, Sinister Six and more recently The Bug Nasties (which just, ironically, recently broke up)

The only record 64 Spiders left behind was a 500 pressed, Regal Select Records release titled "Pooty Swat/Rubber Room" LP is the only legitimate album they left behind. Luckily, recently I stumbled across this vinyl, bought it. And shockingly spent no more than $10 for it....Good deal, I don't think the owner knew how rare it was. Oh well, his loss is my gain. On the back it says it was recorded by Jack Endino, so you know it has to be good.

Anyone else know of this band? want to discuss?

Rambling over :D

SayHello2Heaven

Re: 64 Spiders

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:55 am

Yeah the album is tough to come by, i'm sure someone will sell it on ebay or something.

SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:45 pm

I heard through the grapevine that Sub Pop was going to put out a Cat Butt CD with some unreleased tracks and demos. Since Brother James was in 64 Spiders, you might be in luck!!! :D

SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:00 pm

I have Cat Butt's "Journey To The Center Of Cat Butt" record. It's an awesome listen man, I replay it more than most of my other records.

Funny thing, Brother James when with 64 Spiders, to me, sounds a bit like John Bigley from the U-Men. I definitely heard some comparisons.

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:07 am

If you haven't already, could you put this up in the download section? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze? :fake:
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
P A I V wrote: fuck off i talk new york

SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:16 am

When I saw you wanted it as a download I thought that would be a great idea....3 hours later converting the vinyl to my computer, it's finally there! :D go check it out dude!

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:26 am

wow thank you so much mike! you are about as awesome as this band! :D
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)

SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:35 pm

WOOOHOOOOO!!!!!
:D

brotherjames66
Grunge fan

Post by brotherjames66 » Tue May 11, 2010 12:23 pm

Hey Grunge Kids -

It's Brother James from 64 Spiders & Catbutt. I can answer a few questions you might have about these bands since I was in both of them. 64 Spiders was my first ever punk rock band. I started it in 1984 out of my studio apt on Cap Hill when I was a student at Seattle Central Community College. Before that I played in some cover outfits in high school, but only managed to do one party gig my senior year. My buddy Joe Ross played in that high school band, so I eventually talked him into joining the Spiders in 85. We had a lead singer, David Lee, until summer of 86. I took over singing and we added Scott McCullum on drums that summer. Joe, Scott & I all went to West Seattle High School. We played for about 7 months as a 3-piece and recorded all the stuff you mentioned in Fall 86-Winter 87. I was already playing in Catbutt by Jan 87. Scott joined Skinyard in March and quit our band. That pretty much broke us up, so I stayed in Catbutt full-time. Nobody from Catbutt played in the Spiders except for myself.

The Spiders did a self-released tape from those Jack Endino recordings. In 1989, Daniel House wanted two songs for Another Phyric Victory. He and Andy Wood asked me if they could use the Spiders stuff. Then Michael Goodall wanted two songs for a single on Regal Select. It all came out during the last year of Catbutt, two years after the Spiders split up. Dawn Anderson loved the Spiders single and pumped it at Backlash. When I quit Catbutt in Fall of 89, I started a band called Yummy and we immediately began playing Spiders songs.

John Bigley was a big influence on me, of course! He's an amazing singer and a great friend. The U-Men were my favorite Seattle band at that time and Catbutt wouldn't have existed without them.

-Brother James
Last edited by brotherjames66 on Tue May 11, 2010 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brotherjames66
Grunge fan

Post by brotherjames66 » Tue May 11, 2010 12:38 pm

The Spiders never released an album. We released the two tracks on Another Phyric Victory and the Potty Swat/Rubber Room 7" in the Fall of 1989. Over two years after the band split up. Joe's original cassette tape that he would sell at shows was the only full-length compliation of songs we did. I have a CD version of it for those who really want to have it. You can send me your address and I'll get it to you.

There won't be any Catbutt release on CD from Subpop. I tried to get the rights to burn an official master CD from the Catbutt 'Journey' record, Big Cigar and 3 other unreleased tunes, but didn't get anywhere with Subpop. I have the original master tape of the unreleased stuff, but we need the Subpop stuff to fill out a disc. That would be 4 songs from the Big Cigar session in 87, the two songs on the Penultimate single from early 88 and the six songs on Journey plus an extra track Dean didn't want on the record at the time. Wish me luck!

j-bug
Site Admin

Post by j-bug » Tue May 11, 2010 12:43 pm

hello!

grunge kids made me giggle,seeing as the age of most of our regular users is pretty low.

thanks for popping in.i am sure there will be questions if you could stick around for a while.
:twisted:

cobalt
Grunge God

Post by cobalt » Tue May 11, 2010 4:30 pm

hey, welcome dude!
For those about to polka... we salute you

Empyrean
Grunge fanatic

Post by Empyrean » Tue May 11, 2010 9:27 pm

brotherjames66 wrote:There won't be any Catbutt release on CD from Subpop. I tried to get the rights to burn an official master CD from the Catbutt 'Journey' record, Big Cigar and 3 other unreleased tunes, but didn't get anywhere with Subpop. I have the original master tape of the unreleased stuff, but we need the Subpop stuff to fill out a disc. That would be 4 songs from the Big Cigar session in 87, the two songs on the Penultimate single from early 88 and the six songs on Journey plus an extra track Dean didn't want on the record at the time. Wish me luck!

Yes good luck with that, and thanks a bunch for the background info. I was one of those people that first heard Catbutt off of the Sub Pop 200 record back when Grunge was king, but before the internet and living on the East Coast it was very hard to find information and other recordings by some of the bands on there. Hope you get the rights to your songs!

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace » Tue May 11, 2010 11:28 pm

We are honoured to have you here. 8D

KristinNirvana
Site Admin
Location: The Mecca, the Holyland, the one and only....SEATTLE!

Post by KristinNirvana » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:20 pm

Ooo, I love 64 Spiders. There are several songs on youtube. I heard about them from the Another Pyrrhic Victory compilation. I always get hooked on those two songs, and think i figured out the riff to There Ain't. I also love Rubber room, it gives that vibe that The Outback and Two Way Street by Blood Circus give, like energetic party garage grunge.
Life isn't nearly as sacred as the appreciation of passion
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud
Post abortive? Go to https://passboards.org/ for support