Neil Young

Talk about non grunge music and music in general in here. Don't be shy, we don't bite.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

Angst-Ridden
Grunge prophet

Post by Angst-Ridden » Wed May 03, 2006 1:38 am

I think people call him the godfather of grunge because he was a big influence on a lot of grungebands. I like him...
>>>Insert cheesey saying or quote<<<

March2Fuzz
Grunge master

Post by March2Fuzz » Wed May 03, 2006 1:52 pm

Angst-Ridden wrote:I think people call him the godfather of grunge because he was a big influence on a lot of grungebands. I like him...
I remember when u said he would be "old peoples music" before u heared the needle and the damage done... :idea:
There you are...when you stand in the rain,
and the rain fills your brain
makes you think that god......was fucked up
when he made this town

Angst-Ridden
Grunge prophet

Post by Angst-Ridden » Thu May 04, 2006 1:48 am

I dont remember...
>>>Insert cheesey saying or quote<<<

courtneyhate
Grunge fan

Post by courtneyhate » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:06 am

keep on rockin in the free world is one of my life's songs

but i don't like his other songs very much

Mithaearon
Grunge God

The Neil Young Thread

Post by Mithaearon » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:43 am

I am a big Neil Young fan so I thought I would start a thread to discuss (probably with just myself :P) any news, live performances and all that jazz relating to Neil Young.

He has just released a new song, Fork in the Road, taken from his forth coming album, also called Fork in the Road. You can check out the video here:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=m7L7XsHKCVs If the rest of the album is like this it will be another corker, can't wait.

zep leppelin
Grunge fan

Re: The Neil Young Thread

Post by zep leppelin » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:56 pm

A Neil Young thread :D :D :D......saw him in Dec @ MSG in NY.........he was great!

Mithaearon
Grunge God

Post by Mithaearon » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:54 am

Neil Young readies new album for release

Taken from NME
Neil Young as set to release a new album called 'Fork In The Road' in the spring.

The star, who is currently on tour in Australia and New Zealand, has uploaded the title track on his website, Neilyoung.com.

The news of the album's imminent release means that the long-awaited 'Archives Vol 1' project, which was reportedly due for release in February, now appears to have been put back indefinitely.

Young's label Warners have previously confirmed that the collection, which focuses on the first phase of the Canadian guitar legend's career, is complete and ready to go.

However it is now thought that Young will focus on his new material first, getting it out before his rumoured appearance at this summer's Glastonbury festival.

Young is widely thought to be headlining the Friday of the event on the Pyramid Stage (June 26), although this has yet to be officially confirmed by organisers.

Young previewed many of the songs tipped for inclusion on 'Fork In The Road' on his North American tour last winter, including 'Cough Up the Bucks', 'Fuel Line', 'Hit The Road' and 'Get Around'.

TellTheWorld
Grunge fan

Neil Young

Post by TellTheWorld » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:46 pm

Neil Young and Pearl Jam had a healthy working relationship for a while there. I thought it was kind of a cool cross-over. What do you think? Good? Bad? Take it or leave it?

Mithaearon
Grunge God

Re: Neil Young

Post by Mithaearon » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:39 am

Dude we have a Neil YOung thread on the go as I am a big fan so I am going to merge this with that thread to keep it all together in one place.

Mithaearon
Grunge God

Post by Mithaearon » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:45 am

Being a big Neil Young fan I love it. Pearl Jam and NY work so well together. Mirror Ball is a great album of his. I love the studio chatter at teh start and end of the songs. ANd Pearl Jams offshot EP from that recording session Merkin Ball is wicked too. Live they are amazing together. So yes to Neil Young!

Mithaearon
Grunge God

Post by Mithaearon » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:33 am

Taken from NME:
Neil Young will release his new album, 'Fork in The Road', on April 6.

A single, 'Johnny Magic', will be released on March 23. The track is currently streaming on Neilyoung.com.

The full tracklisting of 'Fork In The Road' will be:

'When Worlds Collide'
'Fuel Line'
'Just Singing A Song'
'Johnny Magic'
'Cough Up The Bucks'
'Get Behind The Wheel'
'Off The Road'
'Hit The Road'
'Light A Candle'
'Fork In The Road'

Mithaearon
Grunge God

Post by Mithaearon » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:10 am

Taken from NME:
Neil Young is set to headline the Isle Of Wight festival this summer.

The Canadian legend will top the bill on the event's closing night (June 14), joining already announced headliners The Prodigy, Razorlight and Stereophonics (the latter two are co-headlining on the Saturday night).

"I have tried every year since we restarted the festival to book Neil Young," explained festival organiser John Giddings. "His music is part of my life and has inspired generations ever since. I'm sure that his performance will be talked about for years to come."

Bands confirmed for the festival so far are:

The Prodigy
Neil Young
Razorlight
Stereophonics
The Charlatans
Basement Jaxx
The Ting Tings
Pendulum

The festival takes place between June 12 and 14 at Seaclose Park in Newport.

To check the availability of Isle Of Wight Festival tickets and get all the latest listings, go to NME.COM/GIGS now, or call 0871 230 1094.

Mithaearon
Grunge God

Post by Mithaearon » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:18 am

Taken From Music Radar:
Neil Young says 'Cough Up The Bucks' on new album

Earlier this year, we got a not-so-subtle taste of Neil Young's upcoming album Fork In The Road. The video of the title track had Young singing while waving around an apple with earphones stuck in it.

Young has now released not one but two additional videos from the new record, and they're a study in contrasts both visually and musically.

Cough Up The Bucks
The first, called Cough Up The Bucks, is a comical look at a corporate raider in the last throes. Young, dressed in power suit and riding in the back of a ridiculously long stretch limo, reads the Wall Street Journal while singing/talking into his Blackberry and checking stock reports on his laptop.

"Where did all the money go/ where did all the cash flow/ cough up the bucks, cough up the bucks," Young demands over a throbbing, distorted guitar-driven beat.

Check out the video on Neil Young's MySpace page here. (It's not on YouTube yet,)

Light A Candle
On a different note entirely, the acoustic ballad Light A Candle is as beautiful and elegiac as anything Neil Young has ever done before. The video features Young's wife, Pegi, holding a candle in the window of the RV behind him as he sings, "Instead of cursing the darkness/ light a candle for where we're going/ there's something ahead worth looking for."

You can see this video at Young's MySpace page here.

If these songs are indications of the depth and range of Fork In The Road (due 7 April), we can't wait to hear the fiished set.

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:41 am

Neil Young is one of the greatest and most influential figures in guitar music. He's done the folk thing, he's done the noisy-grungy thing, and for the most part of his career he's been as uncompromising as any grunge artist could strive to be. So yeah, I do agree with those who call him a Godfather of grunge, with Pearl Jam modelling their whole mid-nineties sound after his music as being only one example of Young's influence on the grunge scene. The Dead Man soundtrack is awesome, so is Harvest, and anybody who considers himself a serious music fan should give a listen to Buffalo Springfield or Young's works with Crosby, Stills & Nash. A true legend.
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
otherimprov wrote:And who made you president of grunge town?

Mithaearon
Grunge God

Post by Mithaearon » Fri May 01, 2009 2:01 am

Neil Young Archives Vol. 1 - Pre-Order Now Available June 2nd!

Taken from Neil Young's MySpaz Blog:
Pre-Order before June 2 and receive a FREE Blu-ray preview copy of disc 0 that you will get before street date. In addition, receive a rare 7" vinyl single that includes "Aurora" & "Mustang" only available here on NY.com!

This is the first volume of the Neil Young Archives series of box sets, produced by Neil Young himself. Volume I covers the period from his earliest recordings with The Squires in Winnipeg, 1963, through to his classic 1972 album Harvest and beyond, including studio and live tracks with the legendary Buffalo Springfield; Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young; and Neil Young with Crazy Horse.

Build your Archives piece by piece! We have made this exclusively available on NY.com. Click here to purchase the Archives collection one piece at a time.