Prot/Post and Garage Punk for the Kids

Talk about non grunge music and music in general in here. Don't be shy, we don't bite.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

j-bug
Site Admin

Prot/Post and Garage Punk for the Kids

Post by j-bug » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:12 pm

Hello, and welcome to Jennas thread about all things that are more then punk. So as i discover things and feel the need to share, i will post them here. Nice to have somewhere to put them. If you have some kick ass,amazing or unusually artists around the subject,also feel free to share.

All right then kids, put your serious faces on, crack out the Kafka and dust of your synths, your in for a punk, but better experience.
:twisted:

incessantmace
Site Admin

Re: Prot/Post and Garage Punk for the Kids

Post by incessantmace » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:15 pm

Uh, Wipers? :)

"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
otherimprov wrote:And who made you president of grunge town?

j-bug
Site Admin

Post by j-bug » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:20 pm

Felt, led by Laurence, who wanted to release 10 singles and 10 albums in 10 years before splitting which is exactly what they did. Arguably should have been a lot lot bigger if going on critical acclaim and pure musicianship.

Featuring the vocal talents of Liz Frazier of the Cocteau Twins, this is reported to be Richey Edwards from the Manic Street Preachers favourite song, it was covered by the band on the 2009 album Journal for Plague Lovers, written in part as a homage to their lost band mate.

j-bug
Site Admin

Post by j-bug » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:33 pm

Dalek I love You, who an over zealous record exec shortened to Dalek,I for the first couple of releases, without the bands permission. Sneaky! The band came from the Wirrel, near Liverpool and tended to have a revolving list of band members who floeated away to work on other bands, such as Big in Japan.

And of course, The teardrop Explodes. I sure everyone has at least hurt this song.

Big in Japan, more of a Liverpool art collective then an actual band, with yet again, revolving doors.

j-bug
Site Admin

Post by j-bug » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:42 pm

I have just discovered this band, today in fact. Drawing heavily from Folk, Punk and rock, EIG are a British duo who formed in 1980, akd honestly, I have no idea how i missed them.

Probably the only band that comes close to carrying the Joy Division tourch.

j-bug
Site Admin

Post by j-bug » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:15 pm

No discussion of Post punk can really be had without mentioning arguably one of the best and most important bands to ever walk the punk corridors. I know just about everything that you could ever want to know about the band is easily accessible, so I am just gonna post my three top JD songs.

No Love Lost- No life at all in the house of dolls, No love lost. Agh, such a great driving guitar bass combo. And a nod to the book that inspired the band name.

Dead Souls. Nine Inch Nails did a pretty great cover of this, however the angsty space, the pain, the soul are completely lacking. What JD had over Trent was truth.

She's Lost Control-Live. So a lot is written about Ians lyrical prowess, Hookeys bass lines and Summers guitar riffs, but the main point is missed. And that is Stephen Morris is one of the greatest drummers to have ever drummed. Watch him here and tell me its not some beautiful poetry in motion.

XsInMyEyes
Grunge guru

Post by XsInMyEyes » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:37 pm

The Fall...Ive known of them for years, but they only recently attracted my cognizance, after realising they were an influence on White Zombie -- I haven't listened to any of their records in their entirety (something I hope to correct soon), but I have been quite taken by a few songs of theirs from the late 1970s.

Do Squeeze, Tears for Fears, Volcano Suns, and the Db's count as post-punk? Squeeze are one of my favorite bands, I love Tears for Fears and the Db's and Volcano Suns are great, but Im somewhat timorous to post them, since I don't know how they stand in terms of your definition.
I miss the comfort in being sad. Drive away and its the same, everywhere death row everyone’s a victim.

j-bug
Site Admin

Post by j-bug » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:44 pm

The Fall where my next band...

TfF are not post punk.

j-bug
Site Admin

Post by j-bug » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:30 pm

As prompted, lets move on to The Fall.

As the only consistent member of a band reputed to have had the most members join and then leave their ranks, who's career spanned 5 decades, The Fall could be considered Mark E Smith. He attended the Sex Pistols gig at the Manchester Free Trade Hall in June 1976, which was also attended by future members of Joy Division,The Smiths, and The Buzzcocks. Dubbed "the gig that changed the world."

As John Peels favourite band they recorded the most Peel sessions ever, 24 in total with 4 songs each session. I would say everybody who knowsmusic has one favourite Fall song. And if you dont, you just havent found it yet.

j-bug
Site Admin

Post by j-bug » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:47 pm

Really, any discussion revolving Post Punk has to go back to the early Garage bands of the 1960's. Although this could be a whole new thread, so let me condense it to my three favourites. Of course, if you have any suggestions, hit me up.

The 13th Floor Elevators. Lets be clear here, that is in fact an electric jug. Pure genius! The 13th Floor Elevators where at the top of the psychedelic garage sound. Hailing from Texas, and where only together for 4 years. The influence on bands of the future was immence, but they still seem to be a little bit of a secret.

Roky Erikcson was a tortured genius who lost everything and rebuild his life on more then one occasion. I think as soon as you listen, you will fall in love with this band. If not your dead inside. Truth.

j-bug
Site Admin

Post by j-bug » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:59 pm

Lets bring it home to Washington. The Sonics, arguably the first punk band. Simple chords, raw vocals, and a leaning towards the dramatic blues. Cited as a huge influence on Punk, Nirvana and Bruce Springsteen.

As well as the obvious Black Keys influence. The Sonics still play sparaticaly together. Not bad for a band who formed in 1960.

j-bug
Site Admin

Post by j-bug » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:30 am

I had to fiddle around a little, but a Spotify playlist for the music mentioned. Easier then YT vids,right?

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1dk3E ... GTCxx9aXXw

j-bug
Site Admin

Post by j-bug » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:21 pm

The Electric Prunes, a band very much stylistically between The Elevators and The Sonics. Very much a Californian band, mixing the Blusey sound very big in the UK at the time with the West coast psychedelics.

I am trying to figure out the band name,Battery Laxatives? Flying Plums? Who knows, and who is even paying attention when you got groovy sounds like this.

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:29 pm

I love this topic, great work Jen :D

We must not forget about the Beakers if we talk about PNW post punk :geek:

"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
otherimprov wrote:And who made you president of grunge town?

j-bug
Site Admin

Post by j-bug » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:07 am

incessantmace wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:29 pm
I love this topic, great work Jen :D
Why thank you. Least I am not boring you. 8-)