I Despise Today's Music, But Hate Being Such An Elitist

Talk about non grunge music and music in general in here. Don't be shy, we don't bite.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

Y2K-kyle

Re: I Despise Today's Music, But Hate Being Such An Elitist

Post by Y2K-kyle »

Schneider wrote:I know some of the things I like are bad. I like some things just because they're shite. :lol:
Who doesn't?
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep

Elektra Foxx
Grunge maniac

Post by Elektra Foxx »

You know you're old when you don't like modern music.

PunkingtonGrunge
Grunge God

Post by PunkingtonGrunge »

if only it was as black and white as that...
Now I think it's alright, to feel inhuman...
Comin' at ya quiet and underwhelming from the unremarkable soundscapes of Farmer Jan!!!11!1!1one!!1
https://soundcloud.com/blueblueblur

otherimprov
Site Admin

Post by otherimprov »

Elektra Foxx wrote:You know you're old when you don't like modern music.
I'd rather be old
Eat your water and drink your vegetables

BleedTheFreak
Grunge guru

Post by BleedTheFreak »

Incorrect, I'm 17.
"Black windows of paint; I scratched with my nails." | "In the darkest hole, you'd be well advised not to plan my funeral before the body dies."
instagram | 90's tumblr | No, I still don't listen to Pearl Jam.

Schneider
Grunge God

Post by Schneider »

BleedTheFreak wrote:
Incorrect, I'm 17.
I'm 20, but I've been saying the same shit as you since I was about 8.

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace »

Good music will always be around. Same as bad music has also been around in former times. Nostalgia just has its way to make crap from the past look charming and retro.
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
otherimprov wrote:And who made you president of grunge town?

Schneider
Grunge God

Post by Schneider »

But would you say liking things from before you were born counts as nostalgia?

Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle »

Schneider wrote:But would you say liking things from before you were born counts as nostalgia?
Nope. You didn't experience it in your life so no. That's what I think. I can't get nostalgic for 1980's or 1970's but I can say that I grew up with the music because that's what my parent's grew up with and listen to. That can give me some nostalgia for listening to music that my parents listened to and play, but not nostalgia for the time frame because I didn't grow up with the time frame.

I think you can find some contradiction in my response, but I think I made my point.
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep

BleedTheFreak
Grunge guru

Post by BleedTheFreak »

incessantmace wrote:Good music will always be around. Same as bad music has also been around in former times. Nostalgia just has its way to make crap from the past look charming and retro.
Of course good music will always be around, where would it go? Music normally doesn't vanish, it just gets older.

I personally just think the 2010's is just a big 80's rehash minus the underground punk scene.
"Black windows of paint; I scratched with my nails." | "In the darkest hole, you'd be well advised not to plan my funeral before the body dies."
instagram | 90's tumblr | No, I still don't listen to Pearl Jam.

Schneider
Grunge God

Post by Schneider »

I didn't grow up with any of the music I listen to except the Beatles. My parents love a lot of the music I do, but I was left to discover it for myself. I tried to like the music my brother was listening to as a kid in the early 00s, but I couldn't
I thought music had always sounded like that, that it was always bad. Then I started listening to The Beatles, really listening not just tuning it out because it had always been there. It made me wonder what else had come out of the past. Thus began my obsession. Music is not as good as it was. You may say there are good things around today and you're right. But why would I bother drinking skimmed milk when I can have cream?

PunkingtonGrunge
Grunge God

Post by PunkingtonGrunge »

R.I.P. golden era of music

1930-1998
Now I think it's alright, to feel inhuman...
Comin' at ya quiet and underwhelming from the unremarkable soundscapes of Farmer Jan!!!11!1!1one!!1
https://soundcloud.com/blueblueblur

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace »

It's hard to argue with that when you have a century of pre-internet music that has been certified classic quality over decades of regurgitation and best of lists. Today's music is fractured into a million scenes with a billion artists, all striving to get a bit of attention. I will always love music from the/my own past but saying today's music is skimmed milk is not only lazy but also unfair.
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
otherimprov wrote:And who made you president of grunge town?

Schneider
Grunge God

Post by Schneider »

I suppose if it were the 70s and all I had to go on was word of mouth, TOTP and the hit parade, I might be longing for Elvis and Carl Perkins in their prime.

FeedMyEyes
Grunge prophet

Post by FeedMyEyes »

It's definitely possible to feel nostalgia for music that was created before you were born because the music is often linked in your mind to a period of time, either the first time you heard it or a prolonged period where you listened to it incessantly. For me, that can be strong feelings of nostalgia when listening to a certain Soundgarden song which then takes me back to my teenage years and my first encounter with them and all of those emotions come flooding back, or for example Leonard Cohen (well before my time) which oddly gives me nostalgia for a not so happy period in my life. Then there are numerous other artists from either before I was born or at least before I was old enough to be choosing my own music (this also includes all of grunge) which can conjure up memories of specific moments with specific people. Admittedly this isn't necessarily nostalgia for the music itself but only for the past, but I still think it counts. Then you can also feel nostalgia for the feeling of discovering new music, this doesn't have to be current music but only music that you hadn't previously heard. If you reach a point where you aren't discovering any new music, then of course you will long for the times when you had only barely dipped your toes in the water and felt as if there was endless supply of great music just waiting for you.

There is probably still a lot of great music out there, people haven't changed and there will always be enough talented people to produce something worth listening to, but I think to a certain extent the internet has made finding new stuff more complicated, perhaps due to over saturation. With limitless avenues for exploring new music it can be hard to even know where to start and could lead to hours of listening to stuff on youtube to no avail. Perhaps in the past it was simpler, with seemingly less bands being able to publicise themselves and fewer dedicated sources to turn to for recommendations.
How can I begin anything new with all of yesterday in me?