I Despise Today's Music, But Hate Being Such An Elitist

Talk about non grunge music and music in general in here. Don't be shy, we don't bite.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

BleedTheFreak
Grunge guru

I Despise Today's Music, But Hate Being Such An Elitist

Post by BleedTheFreak »

So,

A few years back, I didn't really care about music at all. In fourth grade we wrote a yearbook and when it came to writing favorite bands, I left the field blank because i didn't really have any.

The first song I've ever fell in love with.

As a really young kid, I grew up surrounded by music, that my parents liked, such as Nickelback, 3 Doors Down, Foo Fighters, Days of the New and Red Hot Chili Peppers as the "post-grunge" sound was in at the time, especially here in Canada (thanks to Avril Lavine and Alanis Morrisette). Then, when I got a bit older and my family had to move into low-income housing and get money from welfare and my mom started doing drugs, I got exposed to hip-hop/rap music, Nelly, Wu Tang, Shaggy, Ashanti, particularly Eminem and his earlier works such as the original Marshall Mathers LP, which I liked because I thought some of the tracks were very real and close to heart in comparison to other rappers at the time like Snoop and Dre who seemed to rap about things that I thought then were useless concepts such as fame, money, beef, and girls.

Then when I switched from living with my mom, to living with my dad, I had a few songs that I liked from mainstream alt/nu-metal bands like Muse, Breaking Benjamin, Three Days Grace, Evanescence and Linkin Park. But, as living with dad progressed, he started to become abusive, I was outcast at school, and still hadn't matured past childhood even though I was approaching my teenage years quickly and all the other kids had started to get into things like wearing makeup and dating. I found myself (unknowingly) listening to more angsty louder music like Atreyu, Slipknot, Killswitch and so forth.

I was like nine, and I didn't think this was heavy or "screamo", I just thought it was hard rock

When I was eleven, I got kicked out of school due to a misunderstood incident that labeled me a "threat to myself and others", and during that year, I probably had the hardest smack of reality to the face than ever. I spent it locked in my one bedroom apartment with my morbidly obese father who I rarely ever saw, sleeping weird hours, rarely going outside, playing games and watching anime (stereotypical otaku anyone?) I listened to a lot of J-Rock (Aqua Timez, ONE OK ROCK, Nana Kitade, Stereopony, Eiko Shimamiya) from anime at the time, but never listened to it in the same vein that one would would normally listen to it, and I always felt that the emotion that was portrayed by the song was more important to me than what the lyrics were saying.

A few years later, thirteen going on fourteen, after I managed to fix my lifestyle up and return to my education, I met a kind-of ska punk skater girl who I ended up falling in love with and dating, she had a unique personality due to her mental illness (schizophrenia) but we bonded over the fact that we were both labeled "different" and considered outcasts at our school alongside having issues with family. She listened to a post-hardcore/"screamo" band called Alesana, they had a combination of melodic guitars, whiny singing and fry screaming and although I wasn't relatively into them at first, it kind of settled in on me after awhile, especially as me and her became more intimate, it became quite common for me to be listening to their songs while we made out in her garage or fucked in her room.

Perfect sex song.

Alesana became an obsession for sometime, as I dug into their music and listened to the other albums of their discography at the time. I couldn't however find any other bands that I thought were similar at the time, and stuck with that band for a whole two years until I met a friend in high school who turned me onto more bands in that genre such as Suicide Silence, Pierce the Veil and Sleeping With Sirens.

I eventually decided to branch out and find bands on my own that other kids in this "alternative" scene liked, and that lead me to discover a band called Of Mice & Men. The first song I heard by them called "My Understandings" was the perfect alternative rock track I've ever heard in my entire life and I fell in love instantly, it took me a while to get into their other songs though, but when I did I was hooked, however now, it seemed no matter how far out I branched, I couldn't find anything that sounded remotely similar to it, and even worse, I was starting to notice a trend between these bands.

Thus, I decided that in order to hear the music that I would want to hear, I would form a band, I didn't get very far, because when I found a guitarist, he criticized me for liking the genre, although I for the most part ignored the criticism, the final straw was rather broke when Of Mice & Men released their third album "Restoring Force", I noticed that the album was weak in the terms of lyrics, and that the screams and instruments had been toned down, almost to pop levels. This combined with my growing obsession for a new band, Nirvana, caused me to leave the 'core' genre entirely.

My first grunge song.

Nirvana opened up a lot of doors for me musically (even though I'd been exposed to them my whole life and never noticed until I actually started getting into them), Kurt Cobain had taught me that music was supposed to be real, it was art and freedom of expression as messily and sloppily as you wanted it, it also opened me to the idea that record labels and corporations have literally been stripping people of real music this whole time. I've never liked pop music, I never liked the beats, the whiny teenagers, the over-sexualization and blatant sexism, but the idea that the media was forcing this down our throats for pure profitable gain and the idea of "quick, easy, and cheap" disgust me and made me turn away from anything even remotely close to today's modern mainstream, the more I looked, the more I realized that even post-hardcore bands I used to like were not much different than the pop that I didn't like and that it was all being marketed through places like MerchNow and Hot Topic to "hip", "cool" alternative kids, "pop music with screaming and breakdowns".

From that, I expanded through Nirvana, into the other "big names" like Soundgarden, Mudhoney, and Alice in Chains, then to smaller names like Green River, Tad, Mad Season, 7 Year Bitch, Blood Circus, Posies, Skin Yard, L7 and Screaming Trees, then to similar non-grunge bands like Melvins, Sonic Youth, Bikini Kill, Pixies and Meat Puppets, before branching out even farther.

Now, bands I like other than the ones mentioned include industrial, post-rock, emo, screamo (skramz) and hardcore punk bands and even some external genres; pg.99, Big Black, Circle Takes The Square, Mineral, Gruntruck, Bathory, Sunny Day Real Estate, Urban Waste, Flipper, Bad Brains, Jawbox, Anberlin, The Adverts, Saetia, Bjork, Minor Threat, Frank Sinatra, Nine Inch Nails, Tool, Black Flag, Killdozer, Mogwai, Conveyer, Bacon Fudge, Heroin, Beat Happening, David Bowie, Joy Division, The Distillers, Ramones, Raien, Bauhaus, Mother Love Bone, Elvis Presley, John Lennon, The Clash, Marilyn Manson, Eyes Adrift, Killdozer, Godhead, Circle Jerks, Bad Religion, Audrey Fall, Beat Happening, Downers, Bikini Kill, Texas Is The Reason, Powder! Go Away, R.E.M, Pink Floyd, Temple of the Dog, Glassjaw, Half-Japanese, Boil, Johnny Cash, Iggy Pop and The Stooges, Radiohead, Hotel Books, Dayglo Abortions, Placebo, The Breeders, The Notorious B.I.G, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Opeth, Absent Hearts, and The Wipers.

I still like post-hardcore/metalcore to some degree, but only in the bands that are more than a decade old, e.g, Rites, Scratch Acid, Saccharine, Fugazi, Jesus Lizard, Converge, Dillinger Escape, Thursday, Before Today, Eighteen Visions, Thrice, Silverstein, Underoath, The Used, and Saosin.

I hate to sound ridiculously arrogant and snobby with my music tastes. I mean, I don't know, I have strong opinions, but I don't hate everything that isn't my taste, I don't hold much hatred for most metal and EDM genres, yet I don't listen to them, it's only when a musical genre is so active at stealing the art out of music and replacing it with commercial accessability that I get ridiculously pissed off, and I don't entirely blame the musicians, some musicians are mainstream, but still have their own soul and personality and that's cool, so I'm not saying that you have to be underground, and some bands end up falling into the radio-friendly corporate pit without even realizing it, and although they contribute to the problem, you can't blame them.

I understand that everybody has their right to listen to whatever they want to, but it's really harsh on me as an individual when I'm one of the very few people I seem to know who appreciates my tastes, music has gone from meaning nothing to me, to meaning a lot in the past five years, it's become a passion, and it's one that I just wish I could share with people or find people who have similar interests, but it's just so seemingly impossible and bleak. It's even worse when the music I hear my friends listening to, whether pop or not, just sounds so corporately sold out, watered down and made radio friendly, with "emotional lyrics" that I could write without really any thought to it. I don't want to say that my music is by any means "superior", I'm because for the most part, it can be talent-less or just a loud sloppy mess, but being someone with such negative self-esteem and a strong inferiority complex, that's what makes it so great: the fact that it's just pure raw expression and emotion, of all different kinds, it speaks to me because it's raw and true, and with how much fake out there, when people are exposed to it, they shut it out. I'm sorry but it's true when I say people can relate to a lot more to songs about feeling depressed or anxious than they can songs about living on a cruise and having big booty girls.

The music I listen to is the friend I have when nobody else will be.

Just my thoughts.
Last edited by BleedTheFreak on Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Black windows of paint; I scratched with my nails." | "In the darkest hole, you'd be well advised not to plan my funeral before the body dies."
instagram | 90's tumblr | No, I still don't listen to Pearl Jam.

Schneider
Grunge God

Re: I Despise Today's Music, But Hate Being Such An Elitist

Post by Schneider »

I'm with you on that one, but I don't mind getting shit for it.

epiphysis
Grunge maniac

Post by epiphysis »

I feel the same way. 95% of the songs on my phone where released 10 years ago or older. And music has played a big part in my life. I just cannot relate to today's music. And in the process find it difficult to relate to other people like friends, colleagues and even my wife.

But ever since I was hay small I had one lyric that has always stayed with me. Its from "When the music's over" by The Doors, "Music is your only friend until the end".

I don't care what people say about my music. And they can listen whatever they want to. Yeah I judge people by their music taste. And they can judge and label me what they want. I will forever be the 90's kid who will be waiting for the next rock revolution.
The moment you start analyzing your own rock is the moment your rock is dead. That's why rock is now pretty much dead. Too much analyzation. No rockalyzation! - Jack Black

PunkingtonGrunge
Grunge God

Post by PunkingtonGrunge »

epiphysis wrote:I will forever be the 90's kid who will be waiting for the next rock revolution.
some on the forum already seem to be working on that :lol:
why wait when you can help?
Now I think it's alright, to feel inhuman...
Comin' at ya quiet and underwhelming from the unremarkable soundscapes of Farmer Jan!!!11!1!1one!!1
https://soundcloud.com/blueblueblur

Schneider
Grunge God

Post by Schneider »

PunkingtonGrunge wrote:
epiphysis wrote:I will forever be the 90's kid who will be waiting for the next rock revolution.
some on the forum already seem to be working on that :lol:
why wait when you can help?
I feel like a jew waiting for his messiah.

otherimprov
Site Admin

Post by otherimprov »

epiphysis wrote: But ever since I was hay small I had one lyric that has always stayed with me. Its from "When the music's over" by The Doors, "Music is your only friend until the end".

I don't care what people say about my music. And they can listen whatever they want to. Yeah I judge people by their music taste. And they can judge and label me what they want. I will forever be the 90's kid who will be waiting for the next rock revolution.
Amen to that
Turn out the lights
Turn out the lights
For the music is your special friend
Anyway I used to judge people by their music taste back then. I don't do it anymore.
Eat your water and drink your vegetables

Schneider
Grunge God

Post by Schneider »

Fuckin' tune la.

BleedTheFreak
Grunge guru

Post by BleedTheFreak »

Off topic, I love Nirvana, I love SDRE, but I don't like Foo Fighters -- I really don't.

However, there is one jam that still hits me to this day and I can't get over it (probably cause it sounds like Otherside and Kryptonite xD):
"Black windows of paint; I scratched with my nails." | "In the darkest hole, you'd be well advised not to plan my funeral before the body dies."

Schneider
Grunge God

Post by Schneider »

Foo Fighters are shite.

otherimprov
Site Admin

Post by otherimprov »

I liked that album the one before sonic highways. What's the name?
Eat your water and drink your vegetables

epiphysis
Grunge maniac

Post by epiphysis »

otherimprov wrote:I liked that album the one before sonic highways. What's the name?
Wasting Light. If you can try and find a documentary movie called Back and Forth. They go a bit into the making of that album. Very interesting.

Everlong is, was and always will be my favorite Foo song. Although "I am a River" almost had it. But it doesn't sound so grungy. So it remained in a solid second spot.
The moment you start analyzing your own rock is the moment your rock is dead. That's why rock is now pretty much dead. Too much analyzation. No rockalyzation! - Jack Black

epiphysis
Grunge maniac

Post by epiphysis »

Schneider wrote:Foo Fighters are shite.
Why is it that we keep on clashing on music taste?

Schneider
Grunge God

Post by Schneider »

:lol: Because I'm extremely picky. But hey! The Clash!

BleedTheFreak
Grunge guru

Post by BleedTheFreak »

epiphysis wrote:
Schneider wrote:Foo Fighters are shite.
Why is it that we keep on clashing on music taste?
Because we all have different tastes here.

Take for example the fact that a large majority think that "grunge" was a label slapped on by the media when Nirvana got big (incorrect by the way, Mark Arm was the one who originally used it to describe his band Mr. Epp, and it just caught on therefore, I decree that "grunge" should apply to the similar works Mr. Arm had done following such as Mudhoney and Green River -- thus by extension similar acts not featuring Arm such as Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Mother Love Bone, and thus branches off the grunge family tree). I believe grunge can be used to describe the genre, but if so, it should be a wide-range term like "metal" or "punk", with just needs some reworking and sorting into "grunge subgenres" if it ever hopes to be an efficient "source" for describing music.

There's the "grunge punk" (Mudhoney, most of Nirvana's work, Hole, 7 Year Bitch and bands like would go in here), then there's the "grunge metal" (like early Soundgarden, some of L7, Tad, and Alice in Chains), then there's the "grunge rock" (like Pearl Jam, most of Nirvana's "Nevermind"), "acoustic?/folk?/country? grunge" (bands like Temple of the Dog and Stone Temple Pilots), and then "classic grunge" (which can be like Mother Love Bone and Green River). This could also be applied, optionally to post-grunge, as such "post-grunge metal" (Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin, Audioslave), and "post-grunge rock" (Foo Fighters, Nickelback, Bush, Silverchair, Creed, Seether), aswell as "neo/modern grunge" (Valentiine, Senium, The Mothership, We Set Sail).

This system would also allow for a more clear connection to genres closely linked as an inspiration to or inspired by grunge, including sludge punk/metal (Melvins, Crowbar, Eyehategod), noise-rock/post-hardcore (Jesus Lizard, Scratch Acid, Fugazi), riot grrrl (Bikini Kill, Bratmobile) and 90's emo (Sunny Day Real Estate, Mineral, Texas is the Reason).

Schneider
Grunge God

Post by Schneider »

We're not too keen on the ol' post-grunge in here.