Kiss’ Paul Stanley Rips Modern Musicians: ‘They Aren’t Human Beings’

Talk about non grunge music and music in general in here. Don't be shy, we don't bite.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

KristinNirvana
Site Admin
Location: The Mecca, the Holyland, the one and only....SEATTLE!

Kiss’ Paul Stanley Rips Modern Musicians: ‘They Aren’t Human Beings’

Post by KristinNirvana »

http://www.alternativenation.net/kiss-p ... an-beings/

"In a brand new interview with Noisey, the legendary Paul Stanley of Kiss had much to see about the state of modern music. The veteran rocker ranted – “Music is like food — there’s two kinds: good and bad. I think that there’s a huge problem in that music nowadays that’s most available on the radio is mechanically produced and interchangeable, and the people singing it really aren’t singers — they’re people that go into the studio and get Auto-Tuned.”

“Look, I grew up going to Fillmore East, seeing Jimi Hendrix, LED ZEPPELIN, HUMBLE PIE. Hendrix was like somebody from another planet. God bless Stevie Ray Vaughan, but there wouldn’t be a Stevie Ray Vaughan without a Hendrix. And Hendrix was… It was so deep because it was so original, it crossed so many boundaries. There were no racial implications to what he was doing. He was just Jimi Hendrix. So he was very very dynamic and made a huge impression on me. I saw him twice.

“I was lucky because in New York I could see people play for 2000 people or less.

“The music today, my problem is if you don’t wanna sing a song, then get somebody else to sing it. Because it’s faceless, and that’s the biggest problem, I think, nowadays.

“Perhaps, I would hate to think, it’s because I’m getting older, but it’s a shame that a lot of young people are missing out on the excitement of music that is created by human beings.

“The reason we love so much of the music we grew up listening to is because it wasn’t perfect. What we’ve done is we replaced passion with perfection, and the music that I loved, Motown, was full of mistakes. The first ZEPPELIN album was a disaster. It’s brilliant because Jimmy [Page] almost goes off the rails at times. That’s what music is about.

“Music is about pushing the boundaries in search of ecstasy. And that’s missing today, for the most part.”

“If somebody says, ‘What’s your favorite new band?’ It’s the FOO FIGHTERS. [Laughs] He’s [Dave Grohl] been doing this for what now, decades?

“I just don’t find a lot really does much for me, and if it does, it’s because it reminds me of something else. And then I’d rather listen to that.”"
Life isn't nearly as sacred as the appreciation of passion
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud
Post abortive? Go to https://passboards.org/ for support
SKUNCHBAG
Grunge God

Re: Kiss’ Paul Stanley Rips Modern Musicians: ‘They Aren’t Human Beings’

Post by SKUNCHBAG »

I would add that the so called "human factor" of music that people so usually idealize isn't just recording on tape. I mean, Kiss is cheesy as shit, so are the Foos. They don't exactly represent a branch of music that is all about expression true and free, which seems to be the meaning of art for most folks, and certainly, what most of those folks see as being wholly human. So they sort of contradict themselves just for the sake of achieving a higher status.
ljubim te, Karin
subpop1999
Grunge God

Post by subpop1999 »

I mean, Kiss was sort of sell out mainstream heavy metal. Still, better than Justin Beiber, if he even still makes "music" type stuff.
Fuck this American bullshit, I'm from Yorkshire, and it's Yorkshire day. Let's go eat some tatties and Yorkshire pudding.
Schneider
Grunge God

Post by Schneider »

Kiss are shite but I agree with him.
Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker »

I didn't bother reading it cus....well Kiss.......they aren't human so.....its a Daemon a Cat a Star Child and a Spaceman.
Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker »

sadie

Post by sadie »

I don't like that kind of attitude. Not from anyone. I don't value Kiss, I never did, not my thing. There's everything for everyone, and the point is to find something you genuinely like, not to like something cause you're supposed to or it's considered "cool" or "real". If it's Justin Bieber, fine. As long as it's your choice. I like my "real" music (edit. I also like machine made music, and I have lots of friends who do that, so I've seen that there's always people behind that too..), but that doesn't mean everyone else does or has to.
I come from a country of northern lights, lightless days and nightless nights.
I'm not gonna sit around and waste my precious divine energy trying to explain and be ashamed of things you think are wrong with me.
subpop1999
Grunge God

Post by subpop1999 »

I believe people should listen to what they enjoy, yes. But in my opinion, real music is that which is made from a human and their preferred instrument; not a computer. But of course, whatever you consider music, and whatever you enjoy, please listen to it. That's all I mean.
Fuck this American bullshit, I'm from Yorkshire, and it's Yorkshire day. Let's go eat some tatties and Yorkshire pudding.
incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace »

Björk once said "People blame the computers. They point the finger and say 'There's no soul here'. But if there's no soul then that's because nobody put it there." And then she went and made Homogenic, one of the best albums ever, only with beats, strings and voice.
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
otherimprov wrote:And who made you president of grunge town?
subpop1999
Grunge God

Post by subpop1999 »

Well I love Björk. So that's ok. But there's technically no soul being emitted from a computer. But with an instrument like a guitar, soul is oozing out if it (depending on the player. Like Steve Vai. The guitar is like it's own persin when he plays it)
Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker »

not that im a fan of computer generated music but it is just a tool.....when the electric guitar came out it wasn't thought of as a real instrument. Eventually people changed their minds on that.
Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker »

Did anybody actually watch the Kiss video I posted? Its the funniest shit I've seen online all year. Haters gotta love it!
subpop1999
Grunge God

Post by subpop1999 »

I did. Laughed my ass off.

As for electric guitars being the same as computers... eh. Maybe. But they're cooler. And it takes talent to play it. Skill and talent. Anyone who knows how to work a computer can make simple beats or dubstep. There's the difference there. Yeah, distortion and unnatural shit can be added to an electric, but it's all real. It's all coming from a person who knows how to play the instrument, just louder than an acoustic. As for computer, not the same.
SKUNCHBAG
Grunge God

Post by SKUNCHBAG »

People talk a lot of shit about soul. You know what soul is? Otis Redding, mother fucker. Rockers don't know anything.
ljubim te, Karin
incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace »

I wish Paul/Slugg was still posting. I'm sure he'd have some profound things to say (and show) on what amazing things you can do with technology, creativity and soul.
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
otherimprov wrote:And who made you president of grunge town?