What's your view on autotune?

Talk about non grunge music and music in general in here. Don't be shy, we don't bite.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

Zodiac_n_Black
Grunge prophet

Re: What's your view on autotune?

Post by Zodiac_n_Black » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:40 am

I don't have an issue with people mastering their records louder but I do have a problem if it is at the sacrifice of dynamic range which I think is the main crux of the argument. Bands are put under pressure to push the volume during mastering to ensure it gets played on the radio. I think Steve Wilson of Porcupine Tree hit the nail on the head with this note that he included on the sleeve of the Deadwing album...

"Please note that this record may not be mastered as loudly as some of the other records in your collection. This is in order to retain the dynamic range and subtlety of the music. Please, use your volume knob."
Debut album out now, listen to the whole thing on Soundcloud here ...

Add us on Facebook and watch our video for Bad Pills here.

Schneider
Grunge God

Post by Schneider » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:46 am

Zodiac_n_Black wrote:"Please note that this record may not be mastered as loudly as some of the other records in your collection. This is in order to retain the dynamic range and subtlety of the music. Please, use your volume knob."
Touché.

Luciditypro
Grunge God

Post by Luciditypro » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:24 pm

Schneider wrote:
Zodiac_n_Black wrote:"Please note that this record may not be mastered as loudly as some of the other records in your collection. This is in order to retain the dynamic range and subtlety of the music. Please, use your volume knob."
Touché.
Haha, I like that. Steve Wilson is the man!
Shake it like a Polaroid picture.

Follow your dreams, no one can stop you.
Except a person in a tank.
A person in a tank could probably stop you.

boxcar
Site Admin

Post by boxcar » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:10 am

That is a good way to put it, we'll said.

It's interesting how mastering is becoming a medium based thing as well. iTunes now has albums mastered specifically for it, the same thing with vinyl. Anyway, it's all relative and only time will tell where these roads are going to lead.

Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:10 am

boxcar wrote:
Y2K-kyle wrote:
boxcar wrote:I'm not convinced the loudness war is a bad thing.
I LOVE THE LOUDNESS WAR! Seriously, I love it.
Interesting. What do you love about it?
Cause it's loud and obnoxious XD

But seriously, I guess one of the reasons I like is because I don't have to turn up the volume so much, I don't do that anyways, so if I wanted to tune someone out, or be evil and TURN THAT SHIT TO ANNOY THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS OUT OF THEM!

That, and quite honestly, I think it brings some albums character. Like Black Gives Way to Blue, if it didn't have the loudness war, for me, it wouldn't be as fun. Same goes for Metallica's Death Magnetic, which gave loudness war a big public discussion. Should every record be like that? For me, I'll say no, but I think if done right with the right group, it can make the record awesome.

Like I said, if done right with the right group and the right album.
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep

P A I V
Grunge God

Post by P A I V » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:19 am

Y2K-kyle wrote:Cause it's loud and obnoxious XD

But seriously, I guess one of the reasons I like is because I don't have to turn up the volume so much, I don't do that anyways, so if I wanted to tune someone out, or be evil and TURN THAT SHIT TO ANNOY THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS OUT OF THEM!

That, and quite honestly, I think it brings some albums character. Like Black Gives Way to Blue, if it didn't have the loudness war, for me, it wouldn't be as fun. Same goes for Metallica's Death Magnetic, which gave loudness war a big public discussion. Should every record be like that? For me, I'll say no, but I think if done right with the right group, it can make the record awesome.

But...it doesn't bring out their character. If you wanted the songs to be as loud as they were on the album, you could just turn up the volume - a three second long gesture. The loudness war literally only has a downside - taking out frequencies of both extremities and muddling the music. The upside is that people now get to listen to the music loudly in their terrible iPod headphones without having to touch their volume knob. It comes down for me to "music being made for people who don't understand or care about the process of making music or the quality of music", similarly to how The Dark Knight Rises was a movie being written and shot for people who don't understand or care about the intricacies of moviemaking. This boils down to "cheaply made product for our stupid audiences who don't care/won't notice".
There's no such thing as a sure thing. Of this, I'm sure.
twitter, tumblr, soundcloud, instagram
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:38 am
I don know who invented beer but I gotta salute that person

Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:12 pm

Slugg wrote:
Y2K-kyle wrote:Cause it's loud and obnoxious XD

But...it doesn't bring out their character. If you wanted the songs to be as loud as they were on the album, you could just turn up the volume - a three second long gesture. The loudness war literally only has a downside - taking out frequencies of both extremities and muddling the music. The upside is that people now get to listen to the music loudly in their terrible iPod headphones without having to touch their volume knob. It comes down for me to "music being made for people who don't understand or care about the process of making music or the quality of music", similarly to how The Dark Knight Rises was a movie being written and shot for people who don't understand or care about the intricacies of moviemaking. This boils down to "cheaply made product for our stupid audiences who don't care/won't notice".
.....touche amigo.
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:37 am

The only autotune recording I will ever accept.
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
otherimprov wrote:And who made you president of grunge town?