What's your view on autotune?

Talk about non grunge music and music in general in here. Don't be shy, we don't bite.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

PJAICfan
Grunge God

What's your view on autotune?

Post by PJAICfan » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:34 am

Alright so my mom and I were having a discussion last night which inspired me to make a thread, what is your guys view of singers using autotune in professional music? Personally I don't mind it if it isn't overdone and fits the music, what do you think?
Easy come, easy go
Easy left me a long time ago..

Y2K-kyle

Re: What's your view on autotune?

Post by Y2K-kyle » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:56 am

Well, there's the Auto-Tune the News guys that use if for comedy purposes. That's okay, but if you rely on autotune to be a singer, then I have less respect for you. It's okay every now and then, but like I said, if you rely on it, then I don't respect you.
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep

Zodiac_n_Black
Grunge prophet

Post by Zodiac_n_Black » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:15 am

I always thought this song had auto tune on Plants voice, there is some mention of it online but nothing confirmed. It doesn't spoil the song for me it's still beautiful but it does leave me wondering what it sounded like originally (if it was actually used)...

Debut album out now, listen to the whole thing on Soundcloud here ...

Add us on Facebook and watch our video for Bad Pills here.

Sorlag
Grunge God

Post by Sorlag » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:24 am

Auto-tune has been used on almost every big production song released since it came, most new releases of your favorite artist uses it. It's when you crank it up to like 30 you start to seriously wonder if the singer can sing at all. Although, even then it can be used if the context is right and take good singers to inhuman levels.

(This might have just been pitch shifted but you get the idea)
when the whole thing comes crashing down, don't ask me why, don't ask me why

johnwaynewasanazi
Grunge prophet

Post by johnwaynewasanazi » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:38 pm

I hate it

Tropical Steve
Grunge fanatic

Post by Tropical Steve » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:09 pm

Autotune is lame, only bad singers use it

Luciditypro
Grunge God

Post by Luciditypro » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:20 pm

Do I think autotune can be used for good? Yeah. Do I think it is always used for good? Nope.
As a whole, can I do without it? Indeed.

Why am I asking myself all these questions? :P
Shake it like a Polaroid picture.

Follow your dreams, no one can stop you.
Except a person in a tank.
A person in a tank could probably stop you.

KristinNirvana
Site Admin
Location: The Mecca, the Holyland, the one and only....SEATTLE!

Post by KristinNirvana » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:45 pm

If it's used the way most people talk about it these days, like all the standard bad pop musicians using it, and remixed videos on youtube, then I really hate it, but if it's just a teensy little thing hidden where you can barely hear it, then I hate it less but do still think they shouldn't mess with it. I always thought it would have been cool the first time for the robot effect voice, but after that, it loses it's uniqueness and just becomes a novelty that everyone repetitively uses so much you really, really hate it. I want to know what THEIR voices sound like, not their computers'.
Life isn't nearly as sacred as the appreciation of passion
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud
Post abortive? Go to https://passboards.org/ for support

P A I V
Grunge God

Post by P A I V » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:33 pm

It is a necessary tool in music production that is rampantly overused, much like the overuse of sidechaining to the kickdrum, the overcompression of guitars and snares, and the brickwalling of a waveform via compression. The difference is that autotune is more noticeable to people who don't know anything about production...but I guarantee you guys have heard horrible uses of the "loudness war" brickwalling of music and you've definitely also heard bad instances of overcompression...you just probably couldn't name any instances of them because most people's ears aren't trained to listen for that kind of stuff.

Production is a means of conveying a feeling effectively and efficiently without compromise. If autotune achieves this, I'm all for it; if excessive reverb (or no reverb at all) fits, I'm all for it too. Outright dismissing a production technique is like dismissing an instrument...saying something like "Every single time a flute is used, it sucks". If you're going to think that way, you may as well just listen to your 5 favorite albums on loop for the rest of your life and plug your ears like a dismissive xenophobe whenever something different is being played. Every single thing; concept, instrument, experience, whatever...has the capacity to take on either a negative or positive connotation depending on your own frame of reference/foundation and the present conditions in your life at the time. If you allow yourself to be open to everything, you're more likely to receive the positive connotation rather than the negative. Most of my favorite albums, songs, and musicians were introduced to me at a point where I was either willfully or unintentionally vulnerable to whatever randomness was bestowed upon me. And yeah, some of my favorite songs cleverly use some autotune.

But I think most people who have anything negative to say about Autotune will only reference horrendous instances of it in mainstream pop music. Unfortunately for their argument/view on it, mainstream pop music effectively misuses/perverts every single musical aspect it uses...so it's a pretty awful example. People need to realize that mainstream pop is not worth even thinking about because nobody involved is focusing on the musical elements (except perhaps the musician, but more often than not they don't care either), they're focusing on the cultural conditioning of teenage girls in association with the maximal output of money. It wasn't made for you, it doesn't mix with your taste, and it doesn't have any significance on what music can be or is perceived to be in the eyes of most fans of "real" music (and don't give me that "One Direction is music, music is subjective, blah blah blah" argument, whoever is interested in playing Devil's Advocate...my criteria of music means passion/curiosity supersedes financial gain and relevance).

In short: Autotune is a production technique that can be used well. If you don't like it, it's probably because you don't notice it in the majority of it's instances or in it's intended form. There are plenty of other awful production techniques that are much more pertinent to your tastes, namely the "Loudness War":
There's no such thing as a sure thing. Of this, I'm sure.
twitter, tumblr, soundcloud, instagram
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:38 am
I don know who invented beer but I gotta salute that person

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:37 pm

It helps record companies pick artists with the right look and style...no need to worry about talent. Since it doesn't matter if "artists" can sing they are all the more disposable...always something fresh to promote...don't have to put up with demands of established artists. So it just makes good financial sense!

boxcar
Site Admin

Post by boxcar » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:04 am

I pretty much agree with Slugg, though I'm not convinced the loudness war is a bad thing. It is just a thing. What sounds good is all relative. I get the purist thing and the want to preserve the quality and integrity of the sounds being recorded but at the same time I'm all for evolution and experimentation and one usually leads to the other.

I have a similar issue with mp3s because I can hear the difference in quality at all bit levels. Take any recording and make it into a 192kb mp3, play it back to back with the wav and I can tell you every time which is which. That being said, I love their convenience and they aren't a bother to listen to usually when encoded well. Eventually they will keep improving on the sound quality of compressed files...

SKUNCHBAG
Grunge God

Post by SKUNCHBAG » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:36 am

I don't know, really. I'm on a neutral phase here.
sky above, voice within

otherimprov
Site Admin

Post by otherimprov » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:45 am

i think its lame
Eat your water and drink your vegetables

Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:45 am

boxcar wrote:I'm not convinced the loudness war is a bad thing.
I LOVE THE LOUDNESS WAR! Seriously, I love it.
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep

boxcar
Site Admin

Post by boxcar » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:00 am

Y2K-kyle wrote:
boxcar wrote:I'm not convinced the loudness war is a bad thing.
I LOVE THE LOUDNESS WAR! Seriously, I love it.
Interesting. What do you love about it?