SHIRTS.Bands that wear they're own shirt.... your thoughts?

Talk about non grunge music and music in general in here. Don't be shy, we don't bite.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

Canucker
Grunge God

SHIRTS.Bands that wear they're own shirt.... your thoughts?

Post by Canucker »

Its a pet peeve of mine to see bands wearing they're own shirt...its like being the guy who wears the shirt to the concert of the band your going to see...or worse...or not? The only band I love that actually did that was the Ramones... I always made the excuse for them that they were the start of a new scene but really everything comes from somewhere so yeah its just an excuse. At the same time I'd see pictures of Metallica wearing metallica shirts and I'd just think..oh man what a bunch of douche bags...but thats just me not liking metallica. My fave thing about going to big shows back in the day was seeing all the different band shirts...Lollapalooza was awesome for that. Now everyone just wears black. Bummer! plus back in the early 90s there were a lot of bootleg shirts going around with 70s cartoon characters on them...I had an awesome George of the Jungle and later got Fat Albert.
johnwaynewasanazi
Grunge prophet

Re: SHIRTS.Bands that wear they're own shirt.... your though

Post by johnwaynewasanazi »

Nirvana did it sometimes.. like Chad Channing wore them. I don't really like it.. but then again.. I don't really dislike it
SKUNCHBAG
Grunge God

Post by SKUNCHBAG »

I thought the point in wearing a band t-shirt was saying "I like what these guys do, check em out!". Therefore, someone wearing the name of his own band is a little stupid, in my opinion.
sky above, voice within
Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker »

I never saw a photo of nirvana wearing they're own shirts. It just seems to me as an opportunity to support your friends band or a band you love, show your influences...so wearing your own just seems redundant and as if you don't know much about music.
boxcar
Site Admin

Post by boxcar »

I wear my own band shirts but sometimes you have a ton of shirts left over and they are clean so why not? If someone thinks I'm a douche for doing so I just figure they have no idea who I am and why I do what I do. Plus, every so often someone asks about the shirt and I tell them about us. It's a nice little side effect. Of course I also buy shirts from almost every underground local band around this town and wear them proudly. I guess I mainly just wear whatever I put on that day without giving it too much thought, as far as fashion goes the only thing that matters to me is how practical my clothes are for the current weather. :)
Site Admin
Location: The Mecca, the Holyland, the one and only....SEATTLE!

Post by KristinNirvana »

Yeah I always found it odd, but then I started thinking that musicians probably all have shirts of their own bands as well, like why would they make some and then not take one themselves, and shirts are meant to be worn so it wouldn't make sense to have a shirt just sitting there.
Life isn't nearly as sacred as the appreciation of passion
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud
Post abortive? Go to https://passboards.org/ for support
malfunkshun333
Grunge maniac

Post by malfunkshun333 »

I've worn them live on occasion.... But typically they're of Andy or his artwork etc. And what can I say.... I've been a fan of the band for 25 years lol.
Daffy
Grunge God

Post by Daffy »

haha guess im ultra douche then :D my fav hoodie is a tripod hoodie...not because its a tripod jacket...it just feels comfy...i wear it all the time :) and i often wear tshirts...when im out of clean shirts i have like a shitload of shirts...almost all bands i know wear their own merchandise...its not like most bands are rich you know...we wear them cause its...well its among the only clothes we got!! merch cost a shitload!! and ive sold quite a few items by wearing them :)
NEW SINGLE FROM TRIPOD!! SAFE PLACE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMD2YBJ ... e=youtu.be
Scarabola
Grunge God

Post by Scarabola »

If I would ever have to wear my own band shirt, I would just flip it inside out and paint something on the flipside.

But the image of my band would just be the image in my avatar.
Beeswax
Grunge God

Post by Beeswax »

Why wouldn't they? I think it always looks cool when say Iron Maiden do it. I also think it's great when musicians wear each other's t-shirt, like Pearl Jam who are regularly spotted in tees from other bands. :)
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/rissa333/andycolorbar.png[/img]
Scarabola
Grunge God

Post by Scarabola »

Im pretty sure everyones okay with bands wearing other bands shirts.
cobalt
Grunge God

Post by cobalt »

Beeswax wrote:Why wouldn't they? I think it always looks cool when say Iron Maiden do it. I also think it's great when musicians wear each other's t-shirt, like Pearl Jam who are regularly spotted in tees from other bands. :)
Well, Iron Maiden t-shirt are also really awesome, design-wise! :lol: And yeah, it's great to see bands wearing other bands' t-shirts, even more when you like both bands.
For those about to polka... we salute you
Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker »

I think its mostly my insecurity that makes me resist wearing my own bands shirts or really having an opinion on it. I mean if we were on tour and I needed clean clothing I'd flip one inside out too before wearing it. I did consider making ones for the band (cus I have always printed my own) that said STAFF on the back....that way I could claim I was a roadie if someone asked....then I'd play that up...then they'd see us and see that I was in the band...and then I'd look like a huge douche bag for messing with them. Yeah I'm insecure. Image
Daffy
Grunge God

Post by Daffy »

The way i think about it! Im proud of my band, and i want people to see the name everywhere!

But i do remember the first time i saw a stranger walking around in a tripod shirt...that...was something else! :) just random in norways biggest street....that was fucking awsomme....
NEW SINGLE FROM TRIPOD!! SAFE PLACE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMD2YBJ ... e=youtu.be
boxcar
Site Admin

Post by boxcar »

I kind of fell like this, if you aren't a fan of your band and the music you make in it then why should anyone else be? :)