The Rolling Stones or The Beatles?

Talk about non grunge music and music in general in here. Don't be shy, we don't bite.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

Beatles or the Stones?

The Rolling Stones
41%
The Beatles
59%

Total votes: 29

Zodiac_n_Black
Grunge prophet

Re: The Rolling Stones or The Beatles?

Post by Zodiac_n_Black »

For anyone living in the UK there is a programme on BBC Four now called How The Brits Rocked America about the British invasion in the 60's followed by "The Beatles: First US Visit" followed by "Vox Pop: British Beat Boom". You've gotta love BBC Four.
Debut album out now, listen to the whole thing on Soundcloud here ...

Add us on Facebook and watch our video for Bad Pills here.

Beyond Jaded
Grunge maniac

Post by Beyond Jaded »

Beatles.

Easily.

snafunk
Grunge fan

Post by snafunk »

The stones, to me the beatles lack the creativity, I mean talent fine will pay that, and in fairness they are far more covered by bands/artists I respect, but I don't think there was a lot of growth from album to album

boxcar
Site Admin

Post by boxcar »

snafunk wrote:The stones, to me the beatles lack the creativity, I mean talent fine will pay that, and in fairness they are far more covered by bands/artists I respect, but I don't think there was a lot of growth from album to album
Even if you don't care for The Beatles, If you listen to "With The Beatles" and then put on "Abbey Road" and do not hear a growth then you might want to start another hobby rather than listening to music.

snafunk
Grunge fan

Post by snafunk »

I think there's a big difference between change and growth. I can't call it growth when i think musically With the beatles is a much better album

boxcar
Site Admin

Post by boxcar »

snafunk wrote:I think there's a big difference between change and growth. I can't call it growth when i think musically With the beatles is a much better album
Fair enough. Can you define "change" and "growth" in your context so perhaps I can see where you are coming from?

snafunk
Grunge fan

Post by snafunk »

I can try, change obviously means something that is different from what they've done in the past.
Where as I think growth shows progression, change which creates something new and different as a result of the journey the artist has been on and what they've learned as a result, where they've grown as artists and people. The reason there are so many groups who struggle to put out a second album I think is because they have set a standard that then has to be grown on and that can be difficult to do especially given that most musicians I know are their own toughest critics.

I don't see Abbey Road as be a forward move, and I think that's illustrated by the fact that Lennon had issues with the album. And maybe that was because they weren't getting along to well at the time, or maybe that they wer'n't getting along is the reason that they couldn't pull together and show collective growth in a musical sense.

I hope that makes some kind of sense as to where I'm coming from

Sorlag
Grunge God

Post by Sorlag »

snafunk wrote:I can try, change obviously means something that is different from what they've done in the past.
Where as I think growth shows progression, change which creates something new and different as a result of the journey the artist has been on and what they've learned as a result, where they've grown as artists and people. The reason there are so many groups who struggle to put out a second album I think is because they have set a standard that then has to be grown on and that can be difficult to do especially given that most musicians I know are their own toughest critics.

I don't see Abbey Road as be a forward move, and I think that's illustrated by the fact that Lennon had issues with the album. And maybe that was because they weren't getting along to well at the time, or maybe that they wer'n't getting along is the reason that they couldn't pull together and show collective growth in a musical sense.

when the whole thing comes crashing down, don't ask me why, don't ask me why

boxcar
Site Admin

Post by boxcar »

snafunk wrote:I can try, change obviously means something that is different from what they've done in the past.

So lets take a song like "Strawberry Fields" and compare it to "Please Please Me". Do you not hear both change and growth there? If we use the stones as an example of change and growth to compare we can take "Ruby Tuesday" (an obvious Beatles influenced song) and compare it to an earlier song like "What a Shame" (which incidentally was one of only 3 original songs they had by their second record). The only growth I hear is a tendency to become more like the Beatles. After the psychedelic years The Stones just went straight up blues which may seem like evolutionary growth to some but others would consider that a step back. I respect your opinion either way.

Checks
Grunge God

Post by Checks »

So...did the beatles win this?
evee103 wrote:Welcome to the United States of Fuckery, where shit is fucked.

Stargazer
Grunge guru

Post by Stargazer »

I'd go with the stones. Keith Richards is the man. 8) I like the Beatles and I listen to the odd song from time to time, but I simply prefer the stones' music.
[size=150]If it doesn't say Gary Busey on the tin, it ain't Gary Busey in the tin[/size]

Schneider
Grunge God

Post by Schneider »

Stargazer wrote:I'd go with the stones. Keith Richards is the man. 8) I like the Beatles and I listen to the odd song from time to time, but I simply prefer the stones' music.
Yes! Beatles is kid stuff. :mrgreen:

joseph
Grunge master

Post by joseph »

the beatles early stuff is pure shit [no matter what rolling stone magazine tells you] but their later work is pretty good, especially let it be

that being said i haven't heard too much rolling stones stuff, which is a good thing since it most likely sucks

joseph
Grunge master

Post by joseph »

Sorlag wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Schneider
Grunge God

Post by Schneider »

joseph wrote:the beatles early stuff is pure shit [no matter what rolling stone magazine tells you] but their later work is pretty good, especially let it be

that being said i haven't heard too much rolling stones stuff, which is a good thing since it most likely sucks
But...your opinion is invalid because you listen to Metal. :|