Crappy bands that you love anyway

Talk about non grunge music and music in general in here. Don't be shy, we don't bite.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

Schneider
Grunge God

Re: Crappy bands that you love anyway

Post by Schneider » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:20 pm

Yeah, you're awesome. :mrgreen:

Amplified
Grunge maniac

Post by Amplified » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:00 am

Thought I'd give this thread a quick little revive to say that Blink 182 is actually pretty catchy.

Laimonel
Grunge master

Post by Laimonel » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:40 am

Does Suicidal Tendencies count as a crappy band?
And i like arcade fire, although they're pretty crappy..

ISayFuckYouSay...
Grunge God

Post by ISayFuckYouSay... » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:08 pm

Truly crappy bands that I can't get enough of. Do I have their stuff in my collection be it vinyl, CD, or minidisk? YES! :P

These bands really are good though..

Sloth

I Will Guillotine Your Chihuahua

Schnauzer

I just got a copy of Sloth / Schnauzer 10" split! I traded it for my Spazz / Lack Of Interest "Double Whammy" split that I had 2 copies of.

I also have a few copies of IWGYC's stuff.
[url]http://www.FaceBook.Com/DOGGENSTEIN[/url]
[url]http://www.Doggenstein.BandCamp.Com[/url]
[url]http://www.reverbnation.com/DOGGENSTEIN[/url]
[url]http://www.last.fm/music/doggenstein[/url]
[url]http://signmeto.roadrunnerrecords.com/artists/doggenstein[/url]

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:22 pm

PJAICfan wrote:
Schneider wrote:HI-YA-HO-HO! :lol:
I think only Jan would get that, but fuck it. It made me smile.
I miss Jan. It feels like all the members who've been here for a long time are becoming less active or just plain quitting. I quite enjoy this site and it's one of the best forums I've ever been too and I like the old family sense of things from the old days. I mean I wasn't here but it seems like all of the older members really had a bond where I barely feel that towards anyone here. I mean I like all of you but I don't feel like i really know any of you. Maybe it's best to leave it that way but I don't think so. And now there's more new members. Frankly I feel like the more new users that show up the more the older users feel pressured to leave
:o Only saw this just now. That's sweet of you to miss me, in fact I feel humbled by every person who said likewise things. I think the forum is in a much healthier and more family-like state than it was when I left, so I'd say I've proven a good sense of timing! :lol:

I'm not gonna bore you once again with the fact that I grew up in the eighties and thus love a lot of bands you would probably consider "crappy", so I'd just like to refer to my "top eight eighties guilty pleasures" instead :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
P A I V wrote: fuck off i talk new york

P A I V
Grunge God

Post by P A I V » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:41 pm

I don't really like any shitty bands - but I do have guilty pleasure songs. They're not even that bad in comparison to most people's tastes, but my biggest guilty pleasure songs are:

I just love this song. I hate sunshine, I hate the summer, I hate the beach, and I hate music that sounds like this...but I just love this song. This is definitely the guiltiest of my guilty pleasures, because I honestly can't rationalize why I like it. I just do. It's just really nice.

This is in my top 50 favorite songs for sure. I absolutely love it. I tried other songs by them and they're not nearly as good - but this song is a direct line to the soul.

I don't like most indie. I don't like most music that sounds like this. I love this song though - the production, the fullness and richness of it, and the singing...it just sounds very "New York City wintertime" to me.

I don't like anything else that this band has ever done - but this is by far the best song that came out in 2010. By far. I love it. It is the most fun and dance-able song I've ever heard.

Again - most of these guys' music just doesn't do it for me - but this song is beautiful. It sounds like it was written and performed by hippie angels who's only purpose in life was to bring people joy. Every single thing about this song makes me happy. I don't like most happy music - in fact, I rarely get any kind of catharsis from music that doesn't range from somber/melancholy to depressing/miserable/audio suicide note...but songs like this and the other songs I've posted are just delightful.

This isn't the studio version, but it's still really nice. It's one of my favorite Stone Temple Pilots songs and one of the few that I can still listen to and get just as much enjoyment from as I did 4 years ago when I first heard it. I have great memories of 3 summers ago when listening to this song, and it's pure sunny, poppy candy. It's not by any means their "best" song or even close - but it's just a really fun and nice song that I thoroughly enjoy but shouldn't.

I guess my real guilty pleasure bands would be bands like Avenged Sevenfold - which I haven't listened to for years but I would probably still enjoy if I put them on. Them and Linkin Park have a special place in my mind because they were the bands I liked before I listened to the band that started it all for me - System of A Down. There are other bands that I'm not huge on but really enjoy like Sunny Day Real Estate and Stone Temple Pilots and Paw and shit, but there isn't really too much wrong with any of those bands.

Actually - there are two guilty pleasure bands that I genuinely enjoy and will forever but don't really talk about - and that's Rammstein and Mindless Self Indulgence. They're both pretty bad (and are much worse now that I listen to music that I can confidently say is "great") but I think both bands are excellent and get a lot of enjoyment from them to this day.
There's no such thing as a sure thing. Of this, I'm sure.
twitter, tumblr, soundcloud, instagram
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:38 am
I don know who invented beer but I gotta salute that person

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:34 pm

Amplified wrote:Thought I'd give this thread a quick little revive to say that Blink 182 is actually pretty catchy.
Like herpes?

Grunge_Chick
Grunge God

Post by Grunge_Chick » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:58 pm

Canucker wrote:
Amplified wrote:Thought I'd give this thread a quick little revive to say that Blink 182 is actually pretty catchy.
Like herpes?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I gotta admit, I like Blink 182 :shock:

Luciditypro
Grunge God

Post by Luciditypro » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:00 pm

I'll own it. Beastie boys.
Shake it like a Polaroid picture.

Follow your dreams, no one can stop you.
Except a person in a tank.
A person in a tank could probably stop you.

Grunge_Chick
Grunge God

Post by Grunge_Chick » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:06 pm

Luciditypro wrote:I'll own it. Beastie boys.
I love the Beastie Boys!! No shame in that.

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:06 pm

WTF is not to like about the Beastie Boys??? Are you actually calling them CRAPPY?!? :evil: :evil: :evil:
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)

Luciditypro
Grunge God

Post by Luciditypro » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:08 pm

Grunge_Chick wrote:
Luciditypro wrote:I'll own it. Beastie boys.
I love the Beastie Boys!! No shame in that.
I just figured everyone hated them. :P

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:12 pm

And who exactly would be "everyone" in your opinion???

Luciditypro
Grunge God

Post by Luciditypro » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:13 pm

Anyone who doesn't get the joke.

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:45 pm

the first single off they're last album (which was actually a B sides collection but that wasn't mentioned that much) really really sounded like left over crap...."chillin with bob dylan" is one thing but "opening up a restaurant with ted danson" is clearly clearly bside material. The tempo of the track didn't help it any...other then that they've been pretty solid over the years.