AC/DC

Talk about non grunge music and music in general in here. Don't be shy, we don't bite.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

Mr.BananaYeah
Grunge prophet

Re: AC/DC

Post by Mr.BananaYeah » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:42 am

God guys i was just trying to start an argument :roll:

you kinda took it a bit far..
[quote="Thurston_Whore"]Hey,Welcome to the forum just thought i'd give you my site adress and mabye suprise the wife for her birthday this year?
http://www.sextoys.co.uk/cat_Dildos.asp?dept=0?dealer=2035[/quote]

Jack_Armstrong
Grunge guru

Post by Jack_Armstrong » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:47 pm

Mithaearon wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:10 am
Oh god. One of the worst bands. Ever. ever. ever. Just listening to them makes me want to stab babies with flaming kittens. How can anyone who is into grunge even consider liking them is beyond me.
You may or may not see this but, how can you say that? AC/DC were an influence on Nirvana, Soundgarden and Alice In Chains. Jerry Cantrell said that they were his favourite band of all time.

Im not that much of an AC/DC fan, but grunge simply wouldn’t exist if it weren’t for AC/DC.
Last edited by Jack_Armstrong on Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:09 am

Well so were Kiss and they were about the epitome of everything grunge supposedly was against ;)
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
otherimprov wrote:And who made you president of grunge town?

Jack_Armstrong
Grunge guru

Post by Jack_Armstrong » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:32 pm

incessantmace wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:09 am
Well so were Kiss and they were about the epitome of everything grunge supposedly was against ;)
The anti-Glam Metal sentiment of Grunge never seemed to apply to KISS, despite them basically being the ones who started the genre. Of course, nowadays you see guys like Dave Grohl praising the hell out of those guys.

That being said, AC/DC were only Glam Rock/Metal during their early years. They'd mostly dropped all of that by the time they went mainstream.

XsInMyEyes
Grunge guru

Post by XsInMyEyes » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:56 am

ACDC are definitely one of my all time straight-up RnR bands...I don't know where on the list they go...with Bon Scott anyway they're easily in my top 5.
The Bon Scott years especially had a really massive impact on me. I was nine, going on ten years old when I discovered Highway to Hell...I loved every second of it. HtH is a great album too.
My favorite album by them is High Voltage. It was ACDC'S international debut after they'd released two Australia-only albums, High Voltage was made up of songs that originally appeared on said albums. I generally rank the album in my top five. The song Rock n Roll Singer, even though I was fourteen years old before I picked up a guitar seriously, I would say set me on a path to wanting to become a musician, and never give up the dream! TNT and Its a Long Way to the Top are probably my favorite songs of the entire ACDC discography.
A little later, probably a month or so after I turned ten, I discovered my dad's old LP collection from his early teen years...and he had their Back in Black! I'd never heard him listen to it, but he had it! He lost the LP a few years ago...but I've got the CD for Back in Black and even though the Bon years were best, they continued really well with Brian, and its a great listen now and again! Rock n Roll aint Noise Pollution is my favorite song from the album, and indeed of the Brian Johnson years. Rock n roll aint never gonna die!

I mentioned already that part of the reason I felt such a natural liking for Kurt Cobain was his ACDC fandom. I think the first guitar riff he learned was Back in Black? A love for ACDC also one of the many reasons I love Jerry Cantrell so much!
--
Some people say "ACDC just made the same album over and over again", but they managed to stay relevant for long enough...so maybe that's the way to go!
To be fair...Bon Scott's band weren't doing anything that Free hadn't done already, but that doesn't make me love them any less! It just wouldn't be right posting about ACDC without paying tribute to the true innovators! Free! Free were, in a way, to ACDC what the Pixies were to Nirvana.
--
The main reason I came here today was mostly to talk about Brian Johnson apparently getting back in the band. I was going to post this days ago, but I couldn't access most of the threads (this one included).
Brian Johnson is a man who is very much from my "neck of the woods", which is probably why I was so accepting of him as the successor to Bon. He's been out of ACDC for three years, after 36 years of service...continuing a regular tour schedule with ACDC could have permanently cost him his hearing....and he was replaced by Axl Rose. The band under Axl's "frontmanship" is called "AxlDC" sometimes. My initial view on AxlDC might surprise you...there were a lot of complaints going around at the time about Axl joining the band. It looked to me like it just wasnt right for some people, though I was thinking give Axl a chance!.
This is going to be a bit of a rant but: I mean, I was 16 then...had long outgrown GnR, most other hair-metal actually (irrelevant, but I preferred Slash in his other projects, post-GnR)...but Brian Johnson wasn't even the original singer for ACDC. From what I understand, nobody cared when Brian took Bon's stead after he passed away, when Ian Gillan replaced Rod Evans in Deep Purple...then David Coverdale replaced Ian after that, when John Corabi replaced Vince Neil in Motley Crue, Sammy Hagar replaced David Lee Roth in Van Halen, not to mention how many singers Iron Maiden have had. Bands change singers, its a fact of life. If were being really technical...ACDC's "original" singer was a little known Welsh vocalist, Dave Evans...he wasn't with them long. I just didn't understand why, after so many bands had changed singers...people were so annoyed about it in this case.
--
At least, that was the attitude I had right up until I heard them perform with Axl. I watched Axl do Highway to Hell with the band...man it was terrible! So as you'd imagine I'm pretty happy about Brian getting back with the band. They're recording a new album at the end of the year, with Brian Johnson, apparently. Its a tribute to Malcolm Young, who we tragically lost towards the end of 2017 (he left the band due to failing mental health in 2014). I don't know if ACDC are touring for the record, but if they do I'd like to see them, I haven't before...I would really wish I had though. I think that this will be their last album, ACDC’s swan song :(
- -
ACDC. Lost such a talented frontman in 1980, their rhythm guitarist was forced to retire, as was their frontman of 36 years, said guitarist losing his life in 2017. I’ve never thought about it before, but ACDC’s backstory is so sad :cry:
I miss the comfort in being sad. Drive away and its the same, everywhere death row everyone’s a victim.