Jimi Hendrix

Talk about non grunge music and music in general in here. Don't be shy, we don't bite.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

incessantmace
Site Admin

Re: Jimi Hendrix

Post by incessantmace »

Hear hear.
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
otherimprov wrote:And who made you president of grunge town?

brainchild
Grunge guru

Re: Jimi Hendrix

Post by brainchild »

I think Hendrix and Cobain have quite alot more in common than meets the ear...

For instance both extensively used noise and feedback as an integral part of their music...

Both invented their own way of playing the guitar...

Both were more creatively driven than technically driven...

thats why they are my favourite two guitar players... even if they seem worlds apart...

ps for technique from the time of hendrix check out this dude... he is a f'ckin genius!!

Al...

[img]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs392.snc4/45530_134677733243193_100001029019694_210658_2457777_n.jpg[/img]

GrungeAddiction
Grunge prophet

Hendrixadelic.

Post by GrungeAddiction »

I love love love Jimi Hendrix, he's also one of those just amazing dead rockstars. (may his trippy funk soul R.I.P). I love his guitaring, his voice. And he's just so damn cool. It's hard not to wanna just groove to his songs.

His words are never complicated, but still make that impact, you know?
Like, lyrics from "If 6 was 9" just replay in my head sometimes.
:|

admin
Site Admin

Re: Hendrixadelic.

Post by admin »

Hendrix was probably the first music I really got into. I remember reading that his goal was to make music so pure it had the power to heal and thinking that if he hadn't died so young he'd have achieved it. Of course, depending on what kind of healing we're talking about maybe he did.

GrungeAddiction
Grunge prophet

Yeah same. Before grunge i listened to Hendrix, A lot!

No man.. it pains me everyday thinking about the talented people who've died. They've become such an influence on my music soul, i wish i could still see certain people live. But i still love they're work and what they did here..

I mean..Hendrix's music always puts me at least in a mellow mood. His flow and words.. yeah, he definately did have the power to heal :lol:

It's just mindblowing. Especially when i got to watch his Live on VHS in music class. His guitar rants? Like in the middle of the songs, or in Voodoo child, or even his take on the Anthem. Fucking amazing..

I respect him and his music so much.

Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle »

Yeah I can't say no to Hendrix he is definitely the main reasons why many guitarists are guitarists today! Hendrix is a LEGEND!

I am a big fan of his work and he maybe the only one who could top off grunge music for me personally
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep

GrungeAddiction
Grunge prophet

y2kcage wrote:Yeah I can't say no to Hendrix he is definitely the main reasons why many guitarists are guitarists today! Hendrix is a LEGEND!

I am a big fan of his work and he maybe the only one who could top off grunge music for me personally
I want to say that. But it's almost the same love i have for grunge.
It's one of those things i just wanna close my eyes..and listen to hendrix..

P A I V
Grunge God

Post by P A I V »

I thought this thread would be about a Hendrix and Funkadelic fusion - one that would be fucking amazing! Edie Hazel of Parliament/Funkadelic, who is a lot like Jimi Hendrix, is one of my favorite guitarists of all time. If they had gotten together and made an album, I can't imagine it being anything less than perfection.
There's no such thing as a sure thing. Of this, I'm sure.
twitter, tumblr, soundcloud, instagram
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:38 am
I don know who invented beer but I gotta salute that person

GrungeAddiction
Grunge prophet

Oh god. you're right.
Imagine all the funky tripadelic music that
would have collaborated with people touring with
Hendrix? That would have been phenomenal.

Laimonel
Grunge master

Post by Laimonel »

Yes yes, i love hendrix with all my heart.
But it doesnt actually feel bad for me when thinking that he died so young. Of course i would never want a person to die for any reason, but unexpected death sometimes gives an impact for an artist to become a legend. You know, when musicians die when their work is at the peak of perfection, they just dont get to write something less good than their previous work, so what we remember is only the best things what they have made. Same with Cobain or Morrison. Its really strong emotions that you get when thinking that they're already dead, but its not bad emotions, its just emotions. i dont know if you got my point..
Rest in peace, Jimi.

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace »

My mum saw him at his final concert in Germany. I've listened countless times to his Woodstock performance. He was amazingly creative and prolific and blah-blah wuh-wuh. And he definitely should have lived longer. It wasn't like he had already been past his peak.
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
otherimprov wrote:And who made you president of grunge town?

FeedMyEyes
Grunge prophet

Post by FeedMyEyes »

Laimonel wrote:Yes yes, i love hendrix with all my heart.
But it doesnt actually feel bad for me when thinking that he died so young. Of course i would never want a person to die for any reason, but unexpected death sometimes gives an impact for an artist to become a legend. You know, when musicians die when their work is at the peak of perfection, they just dont get to write something less good than their previous work, so what we remember is only the best things what they have made. Same with Cobain or Morrison. Its really strong emotions that you get when thinking that they're already dead, but its not bad emotions, its just emotions. i dont know if you got my point..
Rest in peace, Jimi.

I really can't agree with that. Who is to say that his best work had already been done? There are some beautiful songs on First Rays of the New Rising Sun for example. Also I would rather all talented artists who died young had lived longer, just to preserve the chance that they could create more. And even if Hendrix had gone on to create some shitty drug fuelled polka band, it wouldn't stop us from enjoying the music he had already produced. There are plenty of bands out there who went downhill after their early albums, but the solution is to just listen to those albums and ignore the arse gravy that followed.

I think it's rather selfish to be happy that somebody died because it means they can't ruin their legacy for you. So yeah, thinking of Jimi makes me massively sad.
How can I begin anything new with all of yesterday in me?

Laimonel
Grunge master

Post by Laimonel »

FeedMyEyes wrote: I think it's rather selfish to be happy that somebody died because it means they can't ruin their legacy for you.
Im not happy that he died of course! I just dont feel that bad.
And yes, im a selfish pig. :(

FeedMyEyes
Grunge prophet

Post by FeedMyEyes »

Laimonel wrote:
FeedMyEyes wrote: I think it's rather selfish to be happy that somebody died because it means they can't ruin their legacy for you.
Im not happy that he died of course! I just dont feel that bad.
And yes, im a selfish pig. :(

Sorry man, it's alright. Happy was a bit of a strong word, I meant to say indifferent.
How can I begin anything new with all of yesterday in me?

otherimprov
Site Admin

Post by otherimprov »

Probably my favorite guitarist. There was time when i'd listen to his sick solos and practice. I had to repeat so many times.
Eat your water and drink your vegetables