Guide To Independent Music Stores - Share Your Stores Here

Talk about non grunge music and music in general in here. Don't be shy, we don't bite.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, KristinNirvana, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon

SayHello2Heaven

Re: Great Music Stores To Visit For Grunge Stuff!

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:09 pm

How do you put the pictures up?
I never done that before :lol:

harmony90
Grunge God

Post by harmony90 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:47 pm

Great Idea Lovebattery!!! I will take the first plane from Tønsberg ( Norway ) To Seattle just to go on the music stores !!!:P

I think that with the music list you made the other day on a thread which I dont remember, We could spend a lifetime salary on the internet just buying cd's. Or you can be a pirate and Steal/download. I personally dont pirate from the bands who are alive. But I downloaded all the Nirvana cd's because frankly, I don't think that Kurt cobains really gonna care hehe. I also Downloaded the AIC discography, but thats for the same reason as Nirvana. Their vocalists are both dead. I Will buy the New AIC cd though, because of the fact that the members are alive. I just bought the cd of Bitch alert! Thank you daffy/Espen for that one =)

BUt anywho! I do understand your idea. Its always fun going in a music store and find something cool. But I just think that it doesnt really fit in this forum because in this forum there are people from different corners of the world.
Thats my opinion, feel free to criticize me :D
Want to listen to something different?
Take a listen to the Höstan Project

http://www.facebook.com/TheHostanProject

SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:48 pm

When i'm away at school, this place soothes my sore eyes for records. This place has everything you want, and more! i've found Soundgarden vinyl here, I got my Flop discography here, and even discovered Gruntruck here. In the picture it looks really small, and rundown. But inside it's like this BIG house :lol: you walk in, and they have cassettes on an entire wall, vinyl in the isles as well as cd bins.

It's located in New Jersey, about 15 or so minutes from Philadelphia. The prices can be a bit much at times, but for everything I found it has been 10 bucks or cheaper. I rarely see or buy anything exceeding that amount. I kind of wish they had a clothing section because Mikey needs a new shirt! 8D but whatever. Cool placeto buy stuff, and if you're in the area I can buy you a pizza or something :P

infinitegrunge
Grunge zealot

Post by infinitegrunge » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:03 am

I live in Illinois. Post now! :D

infinitegrunge
Grunge zealot

Post by infinitegrunge » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:19 am

I'm in the west burbs too! I know of a few stores, reckless records has a bunch of locations. I don't know much else because I'm from a small town and didn't know how to get around for over a year :mrgreen: . Now that I've figured it out, I'm starting to actually get to know what's around here. I"ll post if I think of any others.

infinitegrunge
Grunge zealot

Post by infinitegrunge » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:18 pm

I'll have to check them out.. I have NOT heard of them, except Permanent, and I haven't been there. Reckless, the one I went to anyway (on Madison), has been disappointing. I have only bought two things from there.

And I can't believe we live so close, it's really weird to think 8D

infinitegrunge
Grunge zealot

Re: Guide To Independent Music Stores - Share Your Stores Here

Post by infinitegrunge » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:10 pm

I care about it! I really like this thread,actually. I'm right by Oak Park, where are you dude?

SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:32 pm

Rainbow Music
130 First Avenue in New York's East Village
212-505-1774

This has to be one of the smallest record store I been to in New York. You can see that t isn't very big, but they have TONS of vinyl and used cd's. Every genre is present in here. I've seen jazz, classical, punk and everything in between. From the picture you can see the back of the store, and it seperates into two different ways. But they don't go far. I've gotten a bunch of my vinyl here, I found Coffin Break here on a few occasions which is a pretty good find. The only bad part is that they aren't the most organized places you're going to go into, they have stuff just stacked and if you want to find anything valuable or anything you like. You really need to look hard. But, if you're like me you can spend hours in a store anyway :D

Passout Records
131 Grand St., Brooklyn
(718) 384-7273

Passout Records has a history of mainly focusing on punk. Since New York has a very rich Punk and Hardcore history there are so many stores that are dedicated to only that stuff. But even though, you can find some pretty awesome stuff here. I found some Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Sonic Youth....And I believe I bought my Blood Circus here a while back. I could be mistaken. But if you are a punk music fan here is a great place to check out.

Virgin Megastore
1540 Broadway
(212) 921-1020

This has to be the biggest record place I been too. Pretty much it's like Amoeba Records, but Virgin sells more new cd's than anything else. But they have a TON of stuff here. I think they have this in other places around the country so i'm sure people know and been inside one of these. How ironic, I posted the smallest place I been to and the largest :)

Rebel Rebel
319 Bleecker Street
(212) 989-0770

Rebel Rebel is one of the old school NYC record shops— they've seemingly been around since the dawn of time. The walls are lined with posters and records from bands that haven't seen a recording studio in years. Vinyl is everywhere, promo posters are sold out of a box for $2 a piece. It's one of those places where a record buyer just feels at home. I think this is the only place where you can find Michael Jackson and David Bowie and Marilyn Manson and Nirvana all in the same place. I'm not sure if the place is still there just because I haven't been there in a very long time. But this place is a real GOLDMINE.

Alright that's all i'm doing for tonight. All these places i've been too and gathered a pretty damn good collection because of these stores. Of course there are tons that I haven't posted yet. I just remembered these off the top of my head...Enjoy folks :D

Pennyroyaltea
Grunge God

Post by Pennyroyaltea » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:52 am

Theyre.....all.....so....beautiful *tear*

:P
shanze wrote:And you will. You will.

Then you put your spell on him and Jerry shall be yours.

FOREVER!

SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:03 pm

I know a bunch in Seattle, I can post them for you guys :D

SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:52 am

4209 University Way NE
Seattle, WA 98105
(206) 632-1698

Since I never been to Seattle, i'm going to attempt to write about these places based on what other people told me. People have said this place has been there for what seems like forever, having a fairly large selection of CDs, LPs and even TV Series box sets. They have the cheapest vinyl compared to most places in the Seattle area not to mention along with those records they sell Posters, music equipment and instruments. Sorry for the shitty picture, it's the only one I could find!

7400 Greenwood Ave N
Seattle , WA 98103-5044
United States
Phone: (206) 781-4670

A cool place for used and new CD's and vinyl. I'm not sure what they specilize in wheather it would be classical or everything. But from the pictures they seem to have some pretty cool stuff. I would look around in here, yah never know what you may find :)

301 5th Ave SE
Olympia, WA 98501
(360) 357-4755

Serving Olympia since 1973. They have a large selection pretty much everything. Rock, pop, jazz, blues, soul/R&B, hip hop, electronic, country, folk, classical, international/world -- as well as a varied selection of 60's & 70's psyche/'out-there' sounds, classic reissues, compilations, and box sets, on both CD and LP. They also have the largest selection of new LPs in Olympia as well as CD's, compilations and everything else. Theys eel shirts, posters and stickers too!

901 Water St
Port Townsend, WA 98368
(360) 385-2454

From the looks of the place they sell more older records. But from there website they often sell new releases and a bunch of other things. Oh, did I mention they serve coffee in there own lounge? Well they do.

6319 Roosevelt Way NE
Seattle, WA 98115
206-524-5747

Sorry for the shitty pictures, I can't find anything better. This place mainly sells used cd's and LP's. I Would assume by the name they sell everything. I wouldn't mind searching through here.

2615 S.E. Clinton Street
Portland, OR 97202
(503) 736-0909

From the picture you can see a Rocket From The Crypt poster. All the evidence I need to see that they must sell some AWESOME stuff hidden around.

5214 University Way NE
Seattle, WA 98105-3519
(206) 783-0222

A write to a Seattle newspaper said this was on his top 5 record stores the check out. And with his music taste similiar to mine (leaning a bit more to punk/hardcore though) I would consider it.

That's it for today. Sorry for the crappy pictures. I looked everywhere for better ones but nothing came up. Hope this helps you guys out!

otherimprov
Site Admin

Post by otherimprov » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:14 am

They all are very beautiful. we dont have such record stores. its almost impossible to get underground grunge stuffs. :sad2:
Eat your water and drink your vegetables

harmony90
Grunge God

Post by harmony90 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:35 am

I still think this is a stupid idea. If I ever was going to seattle, I would check out the pubs were they played live music, and check out something cultural I wouldnt go around checking all these stores you guys are posting.
Want to listen to something different?
Take a listen to the Höstan Project

http://www.facebook.com/TheHostanProject

j-bug
Site Admin

Post by j-bug » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:13 pm

thats because obviously beer is much more cultrual and fufilling then looking for your favorite rare music genre in its birthplace. :roll:
:twisted:

FeedMyEyes
Grunge prophet

Post by FeedMyEyes » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:47 pm

harmony90 wrote:I still think this is a stupid idea. If I ever was going to seattle, I would check out the pubs were they played live music, and check out something cultural I wouldnt go around checking all these stores you guys are posting.
I would do both. Buy some cheap CDs and see the sights during day, get drunk on the night.
How can I begin anything new with all of yesterday in me?