The Jam

Talk about non grunge music and music in general in here. Don't be shy, we don't bite.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

Jack_Armstrong
Grunge guru

The Jam

Post by Jack_Armstrong »

I don't think we have a thread about these guys. All round they're a decent New Wave/Punk band, and I have a lot of their records. I far prefer the earlier Punk material to the later Mod/ Soul stuff though. Favourite track is 'The Modern World', followed by 'In The City'.
Canucker
Grunge God

Re: The Jam

Post by Canucker »

Its funny when you look at the British chats to see how waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy more successful they were then the Clash in the early days. Thats why the vinyl is pretty common. I have The Gift and Sound Effects on vinyl and maybe Setting Sons I'm not even sure. Going Underground is probably my fave song by them....and I don't even know what its on! HA!
Jack_Armstrong
Grunge guru

Post by Jack_Armstrong »

Happy birthday Paul Weller. 60 :shock:
Jack_Armstrong
Grunge guru

Post by Jack_Armstrong »

Canucker wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 6:40 am
Going Underground is probably my fave song by them....and I don't even know what its on! HA!
Just seen that.

Going Underground wasn’t on any of The Jam’s studio albums, it was released only as a non-album single in 1980.

It’s on all of their greatest hits albums though.

Absolutely brilliant song.
Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker »

well what a sneaky pain in the ass trick that was of them to do. I only have vinyl of theirs so no greatest hits stuff.
XsInMyEyes
Grunge master

Post by XsInMyEyes »

The Jam are one band that I do love quite a lot indeed -- what one thing really amazed me about the Jam, was how brilliant their lyrics were -- witty, to the point, not to mention highly intelligent, see "Down in the Tubestation at Midnight" -- considering in particular how Weller was so young at the time, not a day more than 19-24 when the Jam were rocking the world. Seemingly effortlessly, they brought so much energy to the table, and it connected a great deal to see that, because I realised that their performances possessed a lot of what I desired in what I wanted to do; really high energy, and the "angry young man" aesthetic, with which I related a lot back then, I was 11 or 12 or so when they first became a regular staple in my musical diet -- and with some certainty even more so now
A great choice of band name actually, I thought The Jam was, because with them ... other than by the time of The Gift, by which point the end of the band in 1982 was very much in the sights and went branched out into music with a "soul"/"funk" flavoured sound ... that was quintessentially what their music was, stripped-to-the-bare-bones-down, guitar-driven rock -- the undisputed leaders ... akin to how the Pumpkins apparently are of "grunge-flavoured rock" ... of punk-flavoured new-wave!
--
Not a lot of people around me shared in my musical preferences -- and they sure as heck didn't give a great deal of "Old" music the time either, unbelievably, the kids I grew up around as had only a dim awareness of bands like Deep Purple, Kiss, Black Sabbath, even Led Zeppelin and Aerosmith were not high on their radar -- The Jam were a pretty important exception.
"The most Northern of all the Southern bands", was a moniker I liked to dish out on them because of the connection the band made with those of us, especially working-class folk with a lot of the themes they touched, as it was so rare for others to do at the time, in our region -- the nearby Southern towns of Manchester and Liverpool, liked them too :-P -- The Jam are the common ancestor, more or less, of every Northern band to emerge in these 4 decades gone by, if you played music, particularly that of a punk/new-wave persuasion, it was the Jam you immediately cited as an influence, an echo of what Melvins, Husker Du, and Pixies were to bands bursting out of Seattle ...
It's hard to start things over, You can feel the fire around us, All the time. It's still unfashionable to beleive in principles.Let the Music Play.

Among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected.
- William of Occam