why do grungers hate new wave?

Talk about non grunge music and music in general in here. Don't be shy, we don't bite.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

Checks
Grunge God

Re: why do grungers hate new wave?

Post by Checks »

slatesphanboi wrote:
Canucker wrote:I like chicks who hang out at the mall!
Well maybe hanging out at the mall isn't THAT bad and can be sorta' cool.

LOL! :mrgreen:
i think i went nuts.. when stan lee randomly popped up :lol: :lol:
evee103 wrote:Welcome to the United States of Fuckery, where shit is fucked.

j-bug
Site Admin

Post by j-bug »

:shock:

me and the kids play the "Spot Stan Lee" game.only thing is Jakob usually wins...
:twisted:

Schneider
Grunge God

Post by Schneider »

Reminds me of the game "spot the ball" from the 60s. Not like I was alive in the 60s, like, but still.

Some website tried to bring it back. Some football website. It was when Alan Ball died. There was a "spot the ball" banner under a picture of his coffin getting carried. :lol: :lol: Completely unintentional too.

warbaby
Grunge fanatic

Post by warbaby »

That's dumb. I love new wave.

KristinNirvana
Site Admin
Location: The Mecca, the Holyland, the one and only....SEATTLE!

Post by KristinNirvana »

Kurt always said he loved New Wave. Incesticide is a new wave album.

Life isn't nearly as sacred as the appreciation of passion
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud
Post abortive? Go to https://passboards.org/ for support

cupid_come_as_u_r
Grunge God

Post by cupid_come_as_u_r »

Fuck. Yes. Although that's mostly because the songs were earlier and written during Kurt's more post-punky days.

slatesphanboi
Grunge maniac

Post by slatesphanboi »

KristinNirvana wrote:Kurt always said he loved New Wave. Incesticide is a new wave album.

Whoa! :o It really is. :mrgreen:
[img]http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g408/slatesphanboi/Miscellaneous%20Five/Soundgarden-Live-To-Rise.jpg[/img]

rabbit
Grunge zealot

Post by rabbit »

cobain even wrote a song called "nobody knows im new wave"

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace »

rabbit wrote:cobain even wrote a song called "nobody knows im new wave"
KristinNirvana wrote:Kurt always said he loved New Wave. Incesticide is a new wave album.
*Sigh* Harry or Joe, are you sure it's not you???
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
otherimprov wrote:And who made you president of grunge town?

KristinNirvana
Site Admin
Location: The Mecca, the Holyland, the one and only....SEATTLE!

Post by KristinNirvana »

Yeah the way Incesticide sounds, with the song Nobody Knows I'm New Wave, with the cover of Devo Turnaround, with the New Wave Polly, I'm surprised more people don't talk about how he loved New Wave, he obviously wasn't trying to hide it.
Life isn't nearly as sacred as the appreciation of passion
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud
Post abortive? Go to https://passboards.org/ for support

XsInMyEyes
Grunge guru

Post by XsInMyEyes »

I see Elvis Costello's "Blood & Chocolate" from 1986, as the "bridge" album between new-wave and grunge -- Q-Magazine called it "ferocious and grungy".
It's hard to start things over, You can feel the fire around us, All the time.

BleedTheFreak
Grunge guru

Post by BleedTheFreak »

I would say it depends, "new wave" kinda took on two seperate meanings: there's the earlier classic punk-influenced stuff like Devo, Blondie, Talking Heads, B-52s, Japan, Suicide, Oingo Boingo, etc , which was meant to be an experimental and anti-corporate, but accessible and alternative form of 60s pop rock -- and then there's the later 80's electronic "synthpop" stuff like New Order, Depeche Mode, Tears For Fears, Duran Duran, Echo & The Bunnymen, INXS, etc., which was just straight-up corporate. I wouldn't say I personally hate the latter, since I've always had an appreciation for coldwave/post-punk and there's a good bit of crossover there (take for example, The Cure), though, I imagine, as a grunger - especially at that period in time - I understand how someone could see it in a similar vein to how we view modern pop music today, as "vapid corporate garbage written by industry-people hired to create one-shot radio/MTV hits", not to mention it was squeaky clean, digital, upbeat yuppie music -- kinda antithetical to the entire grunge aesthetic and manifesto, but hey, it's at least less offensive to me than hair metal and we got Nine Inch Nails out of it, so I'm not complaining.
"Black windows of paint; I scratched with my nails." | "In the darkest hole, you'd be well advised not to plan my funeral before the body dies."
instagram | 90's tumblr | No, I still don't listen to Pearl Jam.

XsInMyEyes
Grunge guru

Post by XsInMyEyes »

BleedTheFreak wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:38 am
I would say it depends, "new wave" kinda took on two seperate meanings: there's the earlier classic punk-influenced stuff like Devo, Blondie, Talking Heads, B-52s, Japan, Suicide, Oingo Boingo, etc , which was meant to be an experimental and anti-corporate, but accessible and alternative form of 60s pop rock -- and then there's the later 80's electronic "synthpop" stuff like New Order, Depeche Mode, Tears For Fears, Duran Duran, Echo & The Bunnymen, INXS, etc., which was just straight-up corporate. I wouldn't say I personally hate the latter, since I've always had an appreciation for coldwave/post-punk and there's a good bit of crossover there (take for example, The Cure)...
I wouldn't say that Tears for Fears were "straight-up corporate". I think that they were definitely distinct among the genre. Their instrumentation was similar, but lyrically-speaking their "vibes" were a heck of a lot darker than their contemporaries; there was a lot of angst and alienation there -- with whom they seemed to share a similar fan-base -- and they influenced later alternative acts, like Radiohead. Apparently, they got quite artsy towards the end of the 1980s although I'm only familiar with The Hurting, the first album.
--
Of course, the earliest new-wave was primarily crossover from the post-punk power-pop that TOTP couldn't get enough of back in the late 70s, ealry 80s; Squeeze, the Jam, the Cars, the Knack, XTC.
--
It is good to see you back, by the way
It's hard to start things over, You can feel the fire around us, All the time.