Manic Street Preachers

Talk about non grunge music and music in general in here. Don't be shy, we don't bite.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

Thurston_Whore
Grunge zealot

Re: Manic Street Preachers

Post by Thurston_Whore » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:49 pm

Abortion

[b]''If I'm the guy you're lookin' for
Just look down under some rock''[/b]

j-bug
Site Admin

Post by j-bug » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:51 pm

:lol:

nice to know you pay attention.i already posted that.
:twisted:

Thurston_Whore
Grunge zealot

Post by Thurston_Whore » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:57 pm

Thurston_Whore
Grunge zealot

Post by Thurston_Whore » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:03 pm

You said you hated Everything must go,But again this album was filled with lyrics richey left,Its bloody beautiful what are you on about?

j-bug
Site Admin

Post by j-bug » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:05 pm

only three songs.not "filled with"

Thurston_Whore
Grunge zealot

Post by Thurston_Whore » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:13 pm

!!

j-bug
Site Admin

Post by j-bug » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:17 pm

YOU
LOVE
US

YOULOVEUS YOULOVEUS,YOULOVE!

Thurston_Whore
Grunge zealot

Post by Thurston_Whore » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:18 pm

j-bug
Site Admin

Post by j-bug » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:22 pm

lol!i wonder if anyone even notices that?

sadie

Post by sadie » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:07 am

I had "this is my truth.." when I was at school (13-15) and I played it alot. Then I found something else and forgot them for awhile. I need to start listen to them again.
I come from a country of northern lights, lightless days and nightless nights.
I'm not gonna sit around and waste my precious divine energy trying to explain and be ashamed of things you think are wrong with me.

XsInMyEyes
Grunge maniac

Post by XsInMyEyes » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:59 am

I love them! One of my most loved rock bands of all time. I plan to post some songs in time...but I wanted first to give my view on how the band make me feel.
I own all of their albums. Few bands parallel the Manics discography...clearly some are better than others, but they kept changing the sound every time, and have literally been everywhere in as far as style goes.
The debut, Generation Terrorists is still my Manics album of choice. Simply put, the fierceness with which the band deliver these passion-fired lyrics, makes it a heavy rock record like no other. It balances its moments of punk ferocity and delicate wistfulness with precision. Each to their own, obviously…but for my dollar, Slash n Burn is one of the greatest album openers of all time, marked by its killer riffs!
Sometimes my opinions of Manics albums are unpopular. Their 2004 release Lifeblood was harshly criticised, for the stylistic distance between it and preceding Manics albums. But I have a strong appreciation for it. Its an odd record, its very wistful, almost meditative...and for me it has a place, especially during the more reflective moments, it incurs an aura of thoughtfulness.
There are some great deep-cuts by the Manics. “No surface no Feeling”, “Of walking Abortion”, “Tennessee” to name a handful are for me some of the most essential Manics tracks!
Richey Edwards was a lyricist like no other. Richeys membership of the Manics...it made a huge difference. You can absolutely tell, the lyricson their 1988 single “Suicide-alley”…from before Edwards joined, while the music is relatively solid...are very basic; victim to cliche. The roadie Richey became an active member of the Manics, his songwriting style was most of its own kind...the lyrics became really sophisticated and poetic, yet simultaneously aggressive and puckish.
Edwards disappeared with scarcely a trace in the early months of 1995. Ill not be divulging on what I think happened in this case; straightforwardly music is what matters here, though I always felt that it was such a tragic loss for everyone :cry: They released Journal for Plague-lovers in 2009, on which every lyric was written by Edwards before his disappearance, and I always thought that this was really awesome. Edwards influence most decidedly rubbed off on his bandmates, since I feel theyve long since become better writers, which is great :)

Absolutely, there’s something in the way that this band make me feel...the Manics are one of those bands that have a song that connects with every emotion I feel. When things are looking up, and Im really optimistic, “Australia” will be my choice of song. However when I feel like Im alone, depressed, like Im alienated in this world, “Motorcycle Emptiness” has to be the one...its also my homesick song...it is such a profound and powerful song.
James Dean Bradfield, the frontman, is one exceptional musician. He has always in my view been one of the most under appreciated guitarists of modern times...he is absolutely remarkable! I love his style! One of the main things that inspired..and still inspires me so much to play the guitar was hearing the riffs on Slash n Burn. An underrated Manics cut is Condemned to Rock n Roll, I would say their heaviest song, which sees Bradfield showing off some of his fast-fingered antics. And, for s very different kind of song, the end of Roses in the Hospital, James unleashes some very passionate soloing!
Different voices do different things for different people, of course, but Bradfield’s voice for me is one of the most outstanding in rock history. He really hammers-home the lyrics, so that the words connect personally. “Drive away and its the same, everywhere death row everyone’s a victim” from Motorcycle Emptiness on Generation Terrorists...few verses in rock are more expertly delivered, James makes the line so hauntingly beautiful.
Well, this has been a long post indeed...but I really wanted to tell you guys how major this band is to me.
Thanks you for the music, Manics. Never, ever stop.
- -
Sadly the Manics are one of those bands that just never made it in America. It may seem a strange thing to be upset by, but it does pain me that many from the US will never hear a note of the Manics. If youre an American fan of the Manics, you're awesome! 8-)
I miss the comfort in being sad.
Drive away and its the same, everywhere death row everyone’s a victim.

XsInMyEyes
Grunge maniac

Post by XsInMyEyes » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:28 pm

I said that I would post some Manics tracks...Im staying true to my word, heres Sleepflower!

Sleepflower...which is the opener for Gold against the Soul...to me seemed like one of those Manics tunes that felt so under-loved, considering how good it is. it’s the riff, Im a sucker for a wicked guitar riff, and Sleepflower has one of my favourite riffs from the 90s!
I miss the comfort in being sad.
Drive away and its the same, everywhere death row everyone’s a victim.