The Velvet Underground

Talk about non grunge music and music in general in here. Don't be shy, we don't bite.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

cupid_come_as_u_r
Grunge God

Re: The Velvet Underground

Post by cupid_come_as_u_r » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:43 pm

I LOVE THEM! They have such an incredible range, not to mention the amount of bands that try and fail to capture essence du Velvets.
These eight songs should suffice as a good introduction to the band

cupid_come_as_u_r
Grunge God

Post by cupid_come_as_u_r » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:34 pm

How is it everyone missed this thread? :(

KristinNirvana
Site Admin
Location: The Mecca, the Holyland, the one and only....SEATTLE!

Post by KristinNirvana » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:02 pm

Oh yeah, I had heard their name for years and never knew who they were, and then I heard the Nirvana cover and loved it so I knew that song, and then I saw Last Days and they had this one really weird cool song on it that kept popping into my head, and it turned out to be Venus in Furs and I started to learn a little bit more from that. Also, I kept hearing on Gilmore Girls, Layne mention her obsession with Nico and I found out that she was with Velvet Underground.
Life isn't nearly as sacred as the appreciation of passion
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud
Post abortive? Go to https://passboards.org/ for support

Scarabola
Grunge God

Post by Scarabola » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:58 am

Oh my god do I love this band. Big influence on my work.

Everyone needs to know of this band immediately.

grimeslafiora
Grunge fanatic

Post by grimeslafiora » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:24 pm

it always comes back to the velvets with guitar noise
somehow

Scarabola
Grunge God

Post by Scarabola » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:27 pm

I dislike some of Lou's noise solos, mainly cause they go on for a while (The Black Angels Death Song)

grimeslafiora
Grunge fanatic

Post by grimeslafiora » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:29 pm

yeah but What Goes On
there's a fire flames tune for noise solos
also:
les rallizes denudes

XsInMyEyes
Grunge maniac

Post by XsInMyEyes » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:58 pm

These guys are a new discovery for me.
Man, I feel as though Ive been left out...in spite of having known who the Velvets were for years...and other than a rock-comp I own with the song Rock n roll on it, I never checked out their material. This is despite having my head filled with proto punk for many years, MC5, the Stooges, the New York Dolls who are actually one of my favorite bands
Until this week that is... on Tuesday I received the Velvet Underground and Nico album, and I LOVE it! Sunday Morning is a beautiful masterpiece.

Im definitely digging further into these guys discography
I miss the comfort in being sad.

Avians
Grunge fan

Post by Avians » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:36 pm

Dude, the VU are legit my favorite band of all time. There's something about their experimental and off-kilter songwriting that appealed to me so much back in '16. Their songwriting is still my favorite of any band's discography, and Lou and Sterling are my biggest guitar inspirations. You should check out the next 3 albums of theirs, along with Nico's Chelsea Girls solo album, which has some stuff written by the VU, and a couple of Lou's solo albums (which are of varying degrees of quality, haha).

XsInMyEyes
Grunge maniac

Post by XsInMyEyes » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:38 pm

Ill admit that I had sort of lied when I said that, prior to last month, I had never checked them out beyond the one song I had on a comp.
I am a Squeeze (the band) fan, and I know Glenn Tilbrook sarcastically chose the "Squeeze" name for his band after a VU album that wasnt very good (I believe it was recorded without Lou Reed?). Out of curiosity, I checked out the song Little Jack from that album and honestly quite liked it, but never listened to the rest of the "Squeeze" record.
But I have the first album now, and love it, so thats the main thing!
Avians wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:36 pm
Dude, the VU are legit my favorite band of all time. There's something about their experimental and off-kilter songwriting that appealed to me so much back in '16. Their songwriting is still my favorite of any band's discography, and Lou and Sterling are my biggest guitar inspirations. You should check out the next 3 albums of theirs, along with Nico's Chelsea Girls solo album, which has some stuff written by the VU, and a couple of Lou's solo albums (which are of varying degrees of quality, haha).
I definitely will, and I agree, their style was revolutionary. I already know and very much like Rock n Roll...so Loaded is definitely on my list!
Good to see you back, Avians
I miss the comfort in being sad.

Avians
Grunge fan

Post by Avians » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:01 pm

Glad to be back 🙂 and awesome! Let me know what you think