Favorite Album Openers

Talk about non grunge music and music in general in here. Don't be shy, we don't bite.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

XsInMyEyes
Grunge maniac

Re: Favorite Album Openers

Post by XsInMyEyes » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:25 pm

R.E.M. had good album openers. Especially, Harborcoat on Reckoning.
Thin Lizzy open Jailbreak brilliantly, with well, Jailbreak.
I miss the comfort in being sad.

Logan Ruckman
Grunge maniac

Post by Logan Ruckman » Mon May 13, 2019 8:00 am

My Name Is Jonas and Tired Of Sex, both by Weezer.
Check Out Happy Katana- http://happykatana.wordpress.com

XsInMyEyes
Grunge maniac

Post by XsInMyEyes » Wed May 15, 2019 4:18 am

I did mention Thin Lizzy...but I should have brought up Chinatown, which opens with one of my favourite Thin Lizzy songs "We will Be Strong".
ACDC, "Highway to Hell", Aerosmith, "Toys in the Attic" and Motorhead, "Ace of Spades"...those to are more or less a given...
The US pressing of Judas Priest's British Steel had "Breaking the Law" as the opener, which I think is great. Said that...I still love "Rapidfire"...which is the opener for the British pressing (which as you'd guess is the version I own)
Everybody seems to really like Deep Purple's "Smoke on the Water" from Machine Head, their 1972 album...but my favourite from it was "Highway star", the opener. I think it's my favorite DP song after "Black Night".
---Putting my ancient music tastes aside for a minute...more recently in 2001 (18 years ago musically speaking is last week for me) Manic Street Preachers released Know your Enemy...which I thought opened well with "Found that Soul"...kind of a punkish track, a good return to form. The album itself was underrated imo, though the end of it lost me a bit.
Manics have really good album openers actually, "Slash n Burn" from 1992s Generation Terrorists and actually "Sleepflower" from 1993s Gold against the Soul, especially.
I miss the comfort in being sad.