Hair metal

Talk about non grunge music and music in general in here. Don't be shy, we don't bite.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana, evee103, boxcar, j-bug

KristinNirvana
Site Admin
Location: The Mecca, the Holyland, the one and only....SEATTLE!

Re: Hair metal

Post by KristinNirvana » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:58 pm

tracheae wrote:
I might have misinterpreted messages on previous pages, is glam metal = hair metal?
Yes.
Life isn't nearly as sacred as the appreciation of passion
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud

nicos
Grunge fan

Post by nicos » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:23 pm

Sweet69 wrote::weird: Don't think I would ever call Van Halen a "hair metal" band, no way!!!! They were just plain hard rock/arena metal but no way were they into that hair stuff.Maybe they've influenced,but Van Halen was not a hair band. Hair metal was Motley Crue and Ratt NOT Van Halen. That's like calling the Scorpions or Led Zeppelin hair metal.

Anyways I like very little of hair metal. Dokken and Kick Axe are the few hair metal bands I can get into. Actually the first Ratt album isn't bad either. Like rap music,I only listen to hair metal on a rare occasion. I never really liked what they stood for and was so glad when Nirvana came around.
Yeh and I wouldn't put GNR in that Category either. Like them or hate them I don't care. I think they were more what people called sleaze rock,either that or Glam punk just like Hanoi Rocks (Who they admit inspired them a lot) or maybe they were a bit of both i dunno. but they were quite different from what became the generic 80's glam metal band and Glam metal did get quite generic after awhile

Scarabola
Grunge God

Post by Scarabola » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:27 pm

But the Scorpions are slightly pop metal :)

nicos
Grunge fan

Post by nicos » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:28 pm

SKUNCHBAG wrote:Leather, sunglasses and a motorcycle is like the pinnacle of coolness and badassery.
yeh so is wearing thick makeup, wearing your little sisters tight fitting tank top,and stuffing your crotch

Scarabola
Grunge God

Post by Scarabola » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:32 pm

Watch out we got a serious individual, here.

XsInMyEyes
Grunge fanatic

Post by XsInMyEyes » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:57 pm

I'd never seen this before, and it interested me enough to share. Chris Cornell discussing the difference between the LA bands and Seattle bands.
I miss the comfort in being sad.