Guns N' Roses

Talk about non grunge music and music in general in here. Don't be shy, we don't bite.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana, evee103, boxcar, j-bug

treborillusion
Grunge fanatic
Location: Thornton Heath, London Borough of Croydon / Soho, City of Westminster, GB

Re: Guns N' Roses

Post by treborillusion » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:37 pm

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:23 pm

Somehow they managed to still be around.
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
P A I V wrote: fuck off i talk new york

Jack_Armstrong
Grunge guru

Post by Jack_Armstrong » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:58 pm

Guns N Roses! Just seen this thread. One of my favourite bands. One of the best bands ever in my opinion. My favourite song has always been a tossup between Right Next Door To Hell, Civil War And You Could Be Mine. So as you can guess from those few choices, my favourite era for the band was the Use Your Illusion era. The opinion may be unpopular but I don’t feel like lying. TBH, I think I and II would’ve been better off as a really nice double-album. The ‘Golden Era’ for Guns N Roses is considered usually to be the Appetite For Destruction era. That’s not my favourite personally, but I love it all the same. Fave track from AfD is Night Train.
So there you have it, that’s my opinion. Excellent band, can’t go wrong with them. Must see them live some day.

Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:13 pm

I'm just amazed that Slash and Axel made peace with one another. Good for them, always will love Civil War.
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep
incessantmace wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:56 am
I tried to seduce my wife by singing Big Dumb Sex to her once. Didn't work out though, I dunno why

Jack_Armstrong
Grunge guru

Post by Jack_Armstrong » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:22 pm

incessantmace wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:16 am
On an ideological level: everything grunge went against.
You said that a fucking long time ago. But clearly Soundgarden thought enough of GNR to be their support act in 1992.

Then Pearl Jam nearly did a tour with them and U2.

People say that Grunge retorted against Glam Metal. While that’s largely true, I should note that GNR are not Glam Metal.

Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:28 pm

Jack_Armstrong wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:22 pm
You said that a fucking long time ago. But clearly Soundgarden thought enough of GNR to be their support act in 1992.
Hold on now, let's clarify some stuff, as that post was made nearly 10 years ago when I first joined.

GN'R approached Soundgarden personally to open for them, and I'm going to be Paula Dean honest with you...when a big/successful band at the time asks YOU to open for them, 9 times out of 10 you're saying YES for 1.) Exposure and 2.) MONEY $$$$.

When it came doing those shows, Cornell said, "It wasn't a whole lot of fun going out in front of 40,000 people for 35 minutes every day. Most of them never heard our songs and didn't care about them. It was a bizarre thing."

So, not the most fun for them, especially when the band called them Frowngarden for a time as they "never smiled". Could also argue different styles clashed but eh.
Jack_Armstrong wrote:
Then Pearl Jam nearly did a tour with them and U2.
I decided to dig into this as this was the first time I heard of it and I found the story, from Consequence of Sound (other places covered it too but I like CoS for some reason):

former Guns N’ Roses manager Doug Goldstein revealed that Pearl Jam turned down a tour featuring Guns N’ Roses and U2. The year was 1993 and all three bands were already respected names in the industry. Pearl Jam had just released their breakthrough debut, Ten; GNR had Use Your Illusion I and II under their belts; and U2’s Achtung Baby was basking the glow of Achtung Baby with Zooropa on the way. GNR’s Axl Rose initially came up with the plan for such a tour and asked Goldstein to make it happen.

“What happened was Axl [Rose] came to me, Pearl Jam had just broke, they had released Ten and it was on fire, I was [somewhere] in Tel Aviv, Israel, we were playing there,” said Goldstein. “Axl had come to me in the morning and said, ‘I don’t care if we open, I don’t care if we don’t get paid, I want to do a show or a couple of shows with us, Pearl Jam, and U2 closing. Can you please call everybody?’ I said, ‘Sure.’”

U2 manager Paul McGuinness agreed to do the tour, according to Goldstein. All they needed was the go-ahead from Pearl Jam and their people. Goldstein’s business call to pitch the tour was anything but smooth and successful, however. In fact, Pearl Jam’s manager Kelly Curtis rejected the offer point-blank and the exchange even got a little testy:

I said, ‘Kelly, can you please pick up?’

‘No.’

‘Kelly, I need to talk to you, it’s kind of important.’

‘Yeah I don’t care, what do you want?’

‘Kelly, I can’t hear, I’m in a closet.’

‘I don’t care, what do you want Doug?’

So I told him, he goes: ‘Eh, no. We’re going to pass.’

I said, ‘Okay hang on a second, I manage Guns, and when an idea comes to me, I usually talk to the band.’ I go, ‘Are you speaking on behalf of the band?’

He goes, ‘Yeah, we’re going to pass?’

I go, ‘Don’t you have a moral ethical responsibility to at least discuss it with the band?’

‘Don’t fucking tell me my fucking job.’

‘Okay, nice talking to you, you have a great life!’

Ouch. I guess some dream tours are simply meant to be just that… a dream.

So, it sounds like PJ's manager shut it down immediately. Now if the band told him to or he just decided to is not made officially clear, so I wouldn't use that as a point. Touring with U2 would have been cool, but again seems like such a clash of styles and genres, especially the shit Axl and crew got themselves into. Doesn't help that a majority of the board aren't fond of U2 either so there's that. :lol:
Jack_Armstrong wrote:
People say that Grunge retorted against Glam Metal. While that’s largely true, I should note that GNR are not Glam Metal.
They were HAIR metal when they started (which you cannot deny and you are a fool if you try), which no one was wanting at that point, period. Glam Rock, Hair Rock, and all of the music from the 1980's people weren't wanting anymore, hence Jan's statement. So they were adapting their style but Axl was Axl and by 2000 he was the only original band members left.

I guess this whole post is to show that there' no crazy need to defend a band that someone doesn't like, I guess?
otherimprov wrote:
incessantmace wrote:
I tried to seduce my wife by singing Big Dumb Sex to her once. Didn't work out though, I dunno why

Jack_Armstrong
Grunge guru

Post by Jack_Armstrong » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:01 am

Whoaaah, easy! I was simply stating my opinion that I don’t believe that GNR were at odds with the values of grunge.

Obviously we also have Scott Weiland Of The Stone Temple Pilots forming a supergroup, Velvet Revolver with Slash and Duff McKagan. Obviously STP aren’t from Seattle, but they’re aligned to Grunge in almost every other way.
Dave Grohl (after 1994, anyway) has shown little but the upmost respect for GNR. The Foo Fighters joined them on stage in Sweden this year.

Glam, Hair and Pop Metal are the same thing. GNR might have been influenced by “Hair” Metal to a noticeable degree, on a chiefly aesthetic level, but they were never truly a part of it. Clearly, musically GNR were never exactly the same as Motley Crue, Bon Jovi or Quiet Riot. I will agree with you however on the level that their preceding band LA Guns, WERE Hair Metal.

In a way, GNR and grunge bands (except Alice In Chains and Pearl Jam) sort of came from a similar place, in that their style came from combining Punk and Metal (most Hair bands mainly combined Glam Rock with Metal, or just copied Slade or KISS).

With relation to Pearl Jam and U2 “clashing styles”, there is at least one forum member that recons PJ and U2 are the same genre. I’d say that GNR are stylistically closer to PJ than PJ are to U2, but whatever.
I’ve heard of plenty more diverse stories about bands opening for each other. Oasis opened for Neil Young, Bush (the "grunge" one, with Gavin Rossdale) and Kaiser Chiefs opened for Bon Jovi, Melvins opened for KISS.

Everything I’ve said and every view I’ve expressed in this post and this thread is an OPINION, and therefore should be of no aggravation to anyone.

Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:04 pm

Jack_Armstrong wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:01 am
Whoaaah, easy!
Guess I thought your first response was a little aggressive, hence my long post. :lol:
Jack_Armstrong wrote:
GNR might have been influenced by “Hair” Metal to a noticeable degree, on a chiefly aesthetic level, but they were never truly a part of it. Clearly, musically GNR were never exactly the same as Motley Crue, Bon Jovi or Quiet Riot. I will agree with you however on the level that their preceding band LA Guns, WERE Hair Metal.
I have a very strong feeling that it's best to agree to disagree. :P
Jack_Armstrong wrote:
With relation to Pearl Jam and U2 “clashing styles”, there is at least one forum member that recons PJ and U2 are the same genre. I’d say that GNR are stylistically closer to PJ than PJ are to U2, but whatever.
Same genre sure yet that's not what I meant by "different styles". Everyone can tell what's a U2 song and a Pearl Jam song without hearing the singer, that's where I was going with that I guess.
otherimprov wrote:
incessantmace wrote:

Jack_Armstrong
Grunge guru

Post by Jack_Armstrong » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:06 pm

Y2K-kyle wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:04 pm
Jack_Armstrong wrote:
Same genre sure yet that's not what I meant by "different styles". Everyone can tell what's a U2 song and a Pearl Jam song without hearing the singer, that's where I was going with that I guess.
Everyone can tell say what’s a Noel Gallagher song and a Red Hot Chili Peppers song (*) (the former has opened for the latter) without hearing the vocals, what’s your point? Support acts and such like don’t need to sound exactly like each other.

* That is, unless the two songs are “Champagne Supernova” and “Soul To Squeeze”.

Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:57 am

Jack_Armstrong wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:06 pm
Everyone can tell say what’s a Noel Gallagher song and a Red Hot Chili Peppers song (*) (the former has opened for the latter) without hearing the vocals, what’s your point? Support acts and such like don’t need to sound exactly like each other.
Guess I misunderstood what you were saying before. I "think" I was trying to say that same genre =/= same style but you know this. I guess I was saying that GNR and PJ are not the same styles in any aspect in my opinion. Genre? Sure but that's for simple classification for nutjobs like us. They are GNR and PJ respectively and that's what makes them great in their own right. If they sound the same/have the same style then they wouldn't be that special to stand out. I believe that was where I was going with that or that is what I intended to go with.
otherimprov wrote:
incessantmace wrote: