Bands You Can't Stand

Talk about non grunge music and music in general in here. Don't be shy, we don't bite.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, KristinNirvana, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon

Jack_Armstrong
Grunge guru

Re: Bands You Can't Stand

Post by Jack_Armstrong » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:57 am

j-bug wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:36 pm
Bush have never been considered Grunge. Like,ever. What planet are you on?
Aye, surely they have. The first two albums were generally considered to be the tail-end of Grunge. Of course Bush have about as much right to be ‘Grunge’ as the Stone Temple Pilots, neither band is from anywhere near Seattle. It’s quite odd that you say that, I’ve always had the band down as part of the ‘second-wave’ of Grunge bands. If I remember correctly, the term ‘post-Grunge’ was applied later, almost as a derogatory term, to suggest that acts like Bush, STP, Silverchair, etc had been copying Nirvana and Pearl Jam (barring the song Little Things, I never thought Bush, or STP while we’re at it, sounded anything like Nirvana or PJ).

BleedTheFreak
Grunge guru

Post by BleedTheFreak » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:03 pm

Jack_Armstrong wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:44 pm
If you ripoffs of Nevermind within post-grunge, I'd like to know where. I'll give you that my view of what constitutes a Nevermind ripoff might differ to yours. To be perfectly honest with you, I wish more post-grunge bands would ripoff Nevermind, would make for some better music, there doesn't seem to be much good grunge/post-grunge around nowadays.

and not post-grunge, but still essential on the topic:

Pretty much every single Nirvana rip-off band is ripping off Nevermind, Smells Like Teen Spirit, and Lithium, and In Bloom and Come As You Are. It's all about the radio tunes cause that's where the money, I seldom see very many bands copying from In Utero or Bleach, there are ofcourse some exceptions though, for example Silverchair's sophomore album pulls more from In Utero than it's predecessor, to the point of pretty much ripping off Tourettes.

Jack_Armstrong wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:57 am
I never thought Bush, or STP while we’re at it, sounded anything like Nirvana or PJ.
"Black windows of paint; I scratched with my nails." | "In the darkest hole, you'd be well advised not to plan my funeral before the body dies."
instagram | grunge tumblr | 90's tumblr | No, I still don't listen to Pearl Jam.

Jack_Armstrong
Grunge guru

Post by Jack_Armstrong » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:32 pm

BleedTheFreak wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:03 pm

I seldom see very many bands copying from In Utero or Bleach
You mentioned Seether’s Remedy. While the verses are reminiscent of Come As You Are, the song on the whole is more abrasive than what you’d find on Nevermind, and definitely puts me in mind of a Nirvana song from the In Utero era. There’s definitely a hint of Bleach on there, too. Actually, a few of the songs on Karma & Effect sound like they could be from In Utero.
Also, I won’t have Seether referred to as a ‘Nirvana-ripoff’. It’s simply not true. Nirvana-influenced, absolutely, but by no means an outright ripoff.

Since you’re of the opinion that Bush are post-grunge (I disagree in relation to the first two albums), the album Razorblade Suitcase is one that has been compared in its sound to In Utero since it’s release. The song Personal Holloway is particularly In Utero-esque.

BleedTheFreak
Grunge guru

Post by BleedTheFreak » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:39 pm

Jack_Armstrong wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:32 pm
Since you’re of the opinion that Bush are post-grunge (I disagree in relation to the first two albums), the album Razorblade Suitcase is one that has been compared in its sound to In Utero since it’s release. The song Personal Holloway is particularly In Utero-esque.
Depends on if you're referring to In Utero in the context of Heart Shaped Box, Rape Me, Frances Farmer, Dumb, Pennyroyal Tea and All Apologies or in the context of Serve The Servants, Scentless Apprentice, Very Ape Milk It, Radio Friendly Unit Shifter and Tourettes. It makes a pretty big difference considering.

As I mentioned in another thread, I basically look at post-grunge as dividable into three "waves", each getting progressively worse than the last.

First Wave (1992-2000): Bush, Silverchair, Foo Fighters, Candlebox, Matchbox Twenty, Days of the New, Collective Soul, Alanis Morrissette, Seven Mary Three, Grey Daze; etc.
starts off as a more 'lighter' form of grunge/alt. rock, still utilizing distortion and indie production methods, slowly develops to include more acoustic elements and higher-end production.

little overlap circa 1997-2000 with bands like Everclear, Our Lady Peace, 3 Doors Down, Third Eye Blind, Live, Goo Goo Dolls; etc.
around the point where the grunge elements are completely overshadowed by the alternative rock elements, as well as becoming mainstay radio songs.

Second Wave (2001-2007): Nickelback, Creed, Seether, Puddle of Mudd, Staind, Theory of a Deadman, Daughtry, Hinder, Crossfade; etc.
the "peak" success of post-grunge, at this point becoming essentially pop music. also where nu-metal elements begin to slip into the genre.

Third Wave (2006-2011): Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin, Skillet, Papa Roach, Alter-Bridge, Halestorm, Flyleaf, Art of Dying; etc.
at this point, the mainstream success has worn-off, and the genre has almost entirely merged with nu metal and returns to targeting an "alternative" audience -- the large majority of which carry over from mallcore's Hot Topic niche and MySpace.
"Black windows of paint; I scratched with my nails." | "In the darkest hole, you'd be well advised not to plan my funeral before the body dies."
instagram | grunge tumblr | 90's tumblr | No, I still don't listen to Pearl Jam.

Jack_Armstrong
Grunge guru

Post by Jack_Armstrong » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:47 pm

I don’t really see the importance of the two supposed sides of In Utero, in the sense that, I don’t see particularly what the difference is between the Heart-Shaped Box, Rape Me, etc side of IU and the Serve The Servants, Scentless Apprentice , etc side of IU are. I mean, both are raw, abrasive, with, I suppose the latter fitting the sludgy, noise rock side of grunge better.
If it matters, it’s safe to say that Razorblade Suitcase contains elements of the latter (though the lead singles Swallowed and Greedy Fly probably fit the former, better but History, Personal Holloway, A Tendency To Start Fires closet resemble IUs more aggressive side), you see another major influence on RS was the sludge/noise-rock album Goat by Jesus Lizard (good album BTW). Produced by Steve Albini like Utero and Suitcase.
How this is relevant to Bush’s status as a grunge band I’ll never know.

Saying that post-Grunge got progressively worse with each wave is certainly an overgeneralisation, and subjective to say the least. Your apparent assessment that the Third Wave of post-Grunge must be universally terrible (which is how your views come off) I disagree with profusely. Three Days Grace are a band I’m very keen on, for example. They're decidedly not proper grunge, but they’re a good band.

Jack_Armstrong
Grunge guru

Post by Jack_Armstrong » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:21 pm

Anyhow, if In Utero/Bleach-inspired second-wave/post-Grunge rock is your thing then there's plenty of it:

This one manages to sound like Both In Utero and Bleach:

And I could go on.

Jack_Armstrong
Grunge guru

Post by Jack_Armstrong » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:22 pm

Drowning Pool are a band I’m not all that fond of. They’re not terrible I wouldn’t, but none of their stuff ever did anything for me (they were a one hit wonder anyway). Just not a good take on Nu-Metal IMHO.