silverchair

Talk about the new breed of Grunge Rockers.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, KristinNirvana, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon

SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:09 am

MEVS wrote:Silverchair last album is so bad...seriously...i mean...STP was a post grunge band as Silverchair but they did not change their sound in such a way...it is a shame...i like The greatest view but just that song of the album...i must say that probably the best thing for them was to end up in this way: proving that they were not a grunge band...
Well yes they were a grunge band when Frogstomp was released and some lingering great riffs in their second album. I agree there sound changed dramatically to cater to the more "mainstream" sound (they appeared on VH1 and MTV a few times) but there first 2 albums were exactly the energy and sound that truly defined "grunge". Lumping STP as a post-grunge band really isn't true either. I mean, i'm by no means a big STP fan or Weiland fan but you can't dismiss the fact that they had the sound that fit the mold. They came from outside Seattle and the northwest so they didn't have a direct influence or contact with other bands, but hey L7 did a great job of doing that :)
Well i derived a bit but, times change and bands sometimes feel the need to change their sound, it's normal despite our resentment.

Nurockid
Grunge fanatic

Re: silverchair

Post by Nurockid » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:17 am

Its very good, I heard most of it and it was awesome.

Blandest7
Grunge fan

Re: silverchair

Post by Blandest7 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:54 pm

Diorama kinda sucked but i dig Young Modern. It doesn't sound grungy but theres some cool wierd tunes on it.

MetallicaFan247
Grunge maniac

Silverchair

Post by MetallicaFan247 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:48 pm

A great Aussie grunge band from the 90's, one of my favourites.

How can i be lost?
If I've got nowhere to go.

KristinNirvana
Site Admin
Location: The Mecca, the Holyland, the one and only....SEATTLE!

Re: Silverchair

Post by KristinNirvana » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:28 pm

Life isn't nearly as sacred as the appreciation of passion
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud

MetallicaFan247
Grunge maniac

Post by MetallicaFan247 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:43 pm

thats the second time i have made a thread that has already been done haha, my bad :) i couldnt find the original
How can i be lost?
If I've got nowhere to go.

Sweet69
Grunge fanatic

Post by Sweet69 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:31 pm

lol Too lazy to bump the older threads so I'll just post here.

My Frogstomp CD got stolen a few years ago along with one of my Hole CD's :(

Haven't bothered replacing them because I've been listening to them on Youtube but will buy another copy of Frogstomp next time I'm at the record store.

I only like the first two albums...rest is a little weird for my taste. Neon Ballroom is interesting but mehhhh. Funny because when they first came out in '95 I thought they sucked soooo bad. I mean Daniel Johns was really hot , but I was still mourning the loss of Kurdt,and I felt when Silverchair came out,it was just another attempt for the music industry to cash in on Cobain's death because of Daniel Johns' resemblance to him. And have to say when I first heard 'Tomorrow' during the summer of '95 I thought they were yet another generic band trying to be like Pearl Jam.

But then they grew on me...those first two albums are really really good. Not particularly something I listen to on the reg,but don't hate them.
My radio show's podcast archive: http://bit.ly/1ettUGA

http://www.radiovalencia.fm

boxcar
Site Admin

Post by boxcar » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:05 am

Sweet69 wrote:lol Too lazy to bump the older threads so I'll just post here.

My Frogstomp CD got stolen a few years ago along with one of my Hole CD's :(

Haven't bothered replacing them because I've been listening to them on Youtube but will buy another copy of Frogstomp next time I'm at the record store.

I only like the first two albums...rest is a little weird for my taste. Neon Ballroom is interesting but mehhhh. Funny because when they first came out in '95 I thought they sucked soooo bad. I mean Daniel Johns was really hot , but I was still mourning the loss of Kurdt,and I felt when Silverchair came out,it was just another attempt for the music industry to cash in on Cobain's death because of Daniel Johns' resemblance to him. And have to say when I first heard 'Tomorrow' during the summer of '95 I thought they were yet another generic band trying to be like Pearl Jam.

But then they grew on me...those first two albums are really really good. Not particularly something I listen to on the reg,but don't hate them.
Tomorrow had the same director as the music video for Jeremy which is probably why you thought of pearl jam after seeing it. He has a very distinct style of directing.

harmony90
Grunge God

Post by harmony90 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:43 am

Love'em, except for the last album... I tried to like it, but I just couldnt. I mean, Neon ballroom and Diorama had some very heavy and instrumental songs, full of feelings. BUt young modern was a joke imo
Want to listen to something different?
Take a listen to the Höstan Project

http://www.facebook.com/TheHostanProject

Scarabola
Grunge God

Post by Scarabola » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:42 am

I can't believe they were 15 when Frogstomp was released. Damn, now that's really amazing. I listen frequently to some of their songs.

Jack_Armstrong
Grunge maniac

Post by Jack_Armstrong » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:15 pm

I loved Silverchair’s debut album Frogstomp, hard to believe they were only fifteen when they released that! Not particularly into any of their later material, though. Still, a good band IMO.