The Afghan Whigs

A section for bands from the original grunge explosion that don't have their own category.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, KristinNirvana, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon

ucrub
Grunge fan

The Afghan Whigs

Post by ucrub » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:21 pm

i'm a bit shocked because i couldn't find a topic about them. i think they're amazing. come on there must be somebody who love them

afghan whigs's style..mmm.. i think you all should listen them (for the first time, i have a strong advise for 'Unbreakable' their comlication) wikipedia says 'The Afghan Whigs were a soul-influenced American rock band from Cincinnati, Ohio. While they achieved moderate success in the 1990s'. somebody describe them as post-grunge

their studio albums:
1988 Big Top Halloween
1990 Up in It
1992 Congregation
1993 Gentlemen
1996 Black Love
1998 1965

in my opinion, you will love it
and my favorite song is 'john the baptist'

mood fo lemac

Re: Afghan Whigs

Post by mood fo lemac » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:42 am

I agree they are an amazing band and greg dulli is an amazing songwriter
my favorite album is probably congregation, whats yours?
and then?

incessantmace
Site Admin

Re: The Afghan Whigs

Post by incessantmace » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:53 am

I only have "Gentlemen" but this album is indeed pretty good. Love the title track!
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
P A I V wrote: fuck off i talk new york

grungebeautiful
Grunge fanatic

Post by grungebeautiful » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:55 pm

i never really got into the afghan whigs. i've got a sub pop sticker on the back of my car though, and someone once pointed it out and was like 'sub pop? like the afghan whigs?'

i knew they were sub pop but i always thought they weren't grunge for some reason. i heard they were more 90's indie. but maybe i should go and listen haha
"they made a big mistake - they didn't go further&find more of the bands that were already here. thats what makes me feel guilty about the success of our band" - EDDiE VEDDER

OVERCAST HYPE GRUNGE RADIO

SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:02 pm

I never found myself in Afghan Whigs either. I have Bigtop Halloween and I just can't get into it. They been around for a while shockingly.

inzedit
Grunge maniac

Post by inzedit » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:29 am

i have all their album except big top halloween (i can't find it).
I like them until gentlemen, i never listen Black love and 1965
They're not on my best 20 band list
I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave,
Trust me Trust me Trust me

sadie

Post by sadie » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:52 pm

I started listening them yesterday, cause I've liked everything I've heard by Greg Dulli, so yeah.

I've listened to Black Love and I kind of like it. Can't tell you why yet though.
I come from a country of northern lights, lightless days and nightless nights.
I'm not gonna sit around and waste my precious divine energy trying to explain and be ashamed of things you think are wrong with me.

shanze
Grunge God

Post by shanze » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:42 am

I have 1965. I haven't listened to it for a long time. Gentlemen is a great album but for some reason I don't own it.
A master of blöjäri.

sadie

Post by sadie » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:18 pm

I just love Dullis voice, like omg fuck me.

I've always had a soft spot for badboys who are vulnerable, and he sounds like that.

Not to mention I like his way to write and also, he's pretty productive.
I'm not gonna sit around and waste my precious divine energy trying to explain and be ashamed of things you think are wrong with me.

evil_twinkie
Grunge guru

Post by evil_twinkie » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:51 pm

I love the Afghan Whigs! I too, own every album except Big Top Halloween. Gentlemen is easily one of my favorite albums. I'm also a fan of Greg Dulli's other work, The Twilight Singers and The Gutter Twins (with Mark Lanegan).

It's one of the few bands I started listening to after an impulse buy. I remember seeing Up In It for a dollar at a bargain store. Noticed it was sub-pop, thought "meh, for a dollar I'll give em a try." Been a big fan ever since.

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:32 am

evil_twinkie wrote:I love the Afghan Whigs! I too, own every album except Big Top Halloween. Gentlemen is easily one of my favorite albums. I'm also a fan of Greg Dulli's other work, The Twilight Singers and The Gutter Twins (with Mark Lanegan).

It's one of the few bands I started listening to after an impulse buy. I remember seeing Up In It for a dollar at a bargain store. Noticed it was sub-pop, thought "meh, for a dollar I'll give em a try." Been a big fan ever since.
Always good to see the Twinkster dropping by every year :lol: :wink:

Oh, you and Sadie should get along just fine, she's one of the biggest Lanegan fans out there (plus Jenna/j-bug of course) :)
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
P A I V wrote: fuck off i talk new york

sadie

Post by sadie » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:41 am

Lanegan is one of those rare ones that get me on awful retarded fangirl mode instantly, and I can't help it. He's perfect :mrgreen:

boxcar
Site Admin

Post by boxcar » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:32 am

sadie wrote:Lanegan is one of those rare ones that get me on awful retarded fangirl mode instantly, and I can't help it. He's perfect :mrgreen:
He does the same to me and I am a heterosexual male. :D

evil_twinkie
Grunge guru

Post by evil_twinkie » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:16 pm

incessantmace wrote:Always good to see the Twinkster dropping by every year :lol: :wink:
I figured it was about that time of the year :)
sadie wrote:Lanegan is one of those rare ones that get me on awful retarded fangirl mode instantly, and I can't help it. He's perfect :mrgreen:
Especially recent work. The low, cigarette-charred vocals on the new Mad Season release gave me goosebumps. Grawr.

sadie

Post by sadie » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:18 pm

evil_twinkie wrote:
Especially recent work. The low, cigarette-charred vocals on the new Mad Season release gave me goosebumps. Grawr.
If I'm gonna start to talk about Blues Funeral, I have to go to NSFW section, so... :roll: