Cat Butt

A section for bands from the original grunge explosion that don't have their own category.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, KristinNirvana, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon

SayHello2Heaven

Re: Cat Butt

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Mon May 17, 2010 12:16 pm

I for one, would jump at buying a Cat Butt compilation. I would just keep contacting everyone, Jack Endino, annoy the hell out of the Sub Pop head honchos, just to get it done.....Personally, I much rather a Cat Butt CD/LP rather than that junk Sub Pop is putting out like Iron & Wine and Flight Of The Conchords.

Beeswax
Grunge God

Post by Beeswax » Tue May 18, 2010 6:05 am

^Totally agreed with the last sentence :) . Anyway, I haven't heard that much from Cat Butt, but from what I've heard, it's pretty nice. Nothing too difficult, just pure and simple.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/rissa333/andycolorbar.png[/img]

otherimprov
Site Admin

Post by otherimprov » Tue May 18, 2010 6:34 am

exactly.
I need some more stuffs from Cat Butt
Eat your water and drink your vegetables

brotherjames66
Grunge fan

Post by brotherjames66 » Mon May 24, 2010 10:40 am

Jack is totally on board with doing something, but has no more influence than I do. Jonathan has the 6 songs (plus one unreleased track by Dean Gunderson) on the Catbutt EP under lock and key somewhere in Subpop's vault. Danny Bland (our rhythm guitarist) is going to try and get him to go for it, but I'm probably going to have to be more aggressive. Jonathan is a nice guy and an old friend, but I just don't think he sees this as a priority.

I could just burn a CD off on the vinyl LP, but Jack really wants to remix it and I agree it should be redone. The vocals are too loud and overlayden with effects. Jack & I could make it sound so much better. Keep the good thoughts coming, grungers.

-Brother James

PS - Technically, Catbutt was not a grunge band like Mudhoney or Alice In Chains. I didn't play in drop D tuning or use a fuzz pedal with fatass bottom end. We were a 60's punk band in the true sense of the word, but also mixed in Butthole Surfers and Big Black. Maximo is considered our grungiest number, but I actually based the guitar riff on The Who's Tommy. Pete Townsend is one of my biggest influences, along with Jimi Hendrix.

Laimonel
Grunge master

Post by Laimonel » Mon May 24, 2010 11:03 am

Woow, i love Cat Butt and now im in one forum with a member of that band!! :shock: Awesome.

Onion Rat

Post by Onion Rat » Mon May 24, 2010 11:51 am

Awesome, man! Good luck, I'd love to hear more Cat butt. :D
[img]http://cavestory.org/images/balrog3frog.gif[/img]

SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Mon May 24, 2010 7:21 pm

James, I always thought you sounded like John from U-Men, especially in 64 Spiders....Maybe its just me :lol:

SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:01 pm

This is an article from Backlash Magazine I thought someone might be interested in reading....I thought it was cool at least.....:

HELL BENT FOR LITTER
By J.R. HIGGINS (Reprinted from the November 1988 BACKLASH)

Cat Butt. The name alone tells you this has to be a good band.

The Influences second that motion: comic books, horror movies, beer...

Even the history of Cat Butt tells you that something cool was going on here all along. The hand started two years ago when' James ("Ultra-Sonic Noise Maker" to his friends) of 64 Spiders met up with David "Moth-Man" Emmanuel Duet, former Girl Trouble vocalist, and added a pair of U-Men, Tom Price and Charlie Ryan, to get rockin'.

The name is Dave's creation, which he first used for one-shot bands that he'd get together for shows in his native Texas.

"Not everybody likes us, but we like everyone."

As things got more serious, the U-members bowed out, leaving the band with its current line up of James on guitar, Dave on vocals, Erik on drums and Fly-Daddy Gundo on bass. The band played and recorded as a five-piece, with a second guitarist, and may be one again y the time you read this story.

"As a five-piece, we get this real thick and noisy sound. Sometimes you can lose dynamics," said James. "But we're not as abrasive [now] as we can be as a five-piece, so there's good and bad."

Abrasiveness is an important concept in the complicated world of Cat Butt, as Dave's comparison of his new and old bands demonstrates: "We're a little more abrasive than Girl Trouble was, but it's still that rock-out attitude, real 60s-based, real gut level," he said.

The connectIon between the two bands, who get along well and play together often, is musical as well, Dave is quick to admit. The Influences of Cat Butt and Girl Trouble tie in and both groups live bring to mind the bluesy smash and crash that so many music fans have come to associate with that favorite of all American practice spaces: the garage.

While Cat Butt has moved into the more stylish confines of Ballard's Music Bank practice studios, their music still carries those telltale traces of years of running home from school to practice with the guys before ad gets home (and gets mad about the noise).

But, while this rawness and abrasiveness to their music is prized by their fans, James says he can understand why record companies might not be standing up and taking notice. "I'm not surprised to see Soundgarden [signing with a major label] because I think Soundgarden has always been a band that could have made the crossover." he said. A band like Cat Butt would have a harder time signing, even with Independent labels, which often ignore bands until they have put out several records on their own, James notes.

Still, it's a good sign that record companies seem to be showing interest in some underground sounds, the band members agree. "Punk rock's been around for, what, 11 or 12 years now," said James. "Maybe that has something to do with It."

So corporate America Is finally catching on?

"Now that It's far too late," says Dave.

"WE'D BE LIARS If we said we all wouldn't like not having to work for a living and lust tour the country playing rock," Dave admits. But, the tours they expect to do will be on their own, arranged by the hand and done on the cheap.

Cat Butt plans a short swing down the West Coast in December before they head Into the studio to record an EP. Once the record Is completed, It will be time for an extended tour of the West Coast and Midwest, followed by an East Coast swing.

The band has done some out-of-town gigs, with varying results. Their shows at Portland's Sat yr icon were successful enough to et them invited back for a Halloween gig, but their last appearance there was at a sparsely-attended Das Damen show where most of the audience left before the headliners even took the stage.

Portland audiences are often too laid-back anyway, says Gundo. "They don't really responded at all. I've seen some great shows there where nobody responded," sez FlyDaddy.

Cat Butt has released- just one record, their single "64 Funny Cars," which has been sent out to radio stations and rock magazines around the U.S. "We're starting to hear back from the Stations," said Dave. "We're apparently getting airplay across the nation."

SONGWRITING CHORES In the band are shared, although Dave climes up with most of the lyrics. "Somebody will come in with a riff, or Dave can play guitar a bit and he'll come up with something," said James, and the song is built up from there during rehearsals. "Undisciplined Music Bank rock," Erik calls it.

"Music is a painting on a canvas of silence," offers Dave.

How's that again?

"Cat Butt is a real friendly band," says Dave.

"We try," adds James.

"We're sensitive," claims Gundo.

"Not everybody likes us, but we like everyone," James finishes.

They really do like everyone, as far as building up the other local bands. "U-Men!" the band choruses when asked for their favorite. "Other than that, you go down the list of pretty cool bands," says Dave. "Seattle's real fortunate that way."

The band members' favorite shows have included their record release party at Squid Row. ("One of our Sweatiest gigs," recalls James. "I had the crowd literally on my back.") and their Central Tavern show with Killdozer.

"Live, we all usually explode we get really into it," said Dave.

And so will you.

In case anyone seems to care, or wants to know my theory on things....I think Cat Butt is planning on reforming, I have nothing to back this up but every update on Myspace, Facebook and other outlets have been "Swapping Fluids Across Amerika" which was another name for their first (and only??) national tour back in the early 90's.....hmmmmm

evee103
Site Admin

Post by evee103 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:13 am

All I have to say is NEED. MORE. CAT. BUTT. 8D

And that I kinda friggen love that band. It's up there with my top favorite bands :3
The Jeevies. It's a feeling you get.
Sorlag wrote:You're releasing on Mini CD? I thought that format was as dead as this forum

SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:13 pm

They've always been in my top 5 favorites no doubt! I love Cat Butt and even the projects that the guys explored afterwards; Bug Nasties were probably my favorite (R.I.P.). I agree though that they lacked in the recorded history aspect, I mean 2 records and a handful of compilation appreances aren't a lot for hungry fans liek us, but what can yah do?

SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:27 pm

BUMP BUMP BUMP!!!!!

One of my all-time favorite bands here....I wonder how the remastering of "Journey To The Center Of...." is working out.

But seriously, we must discuss this great band, y'all better recognize!

otherimprov
Site Admin

Post by otherimprov » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:55 am

loves cat butt
Eat your water and drink your vegetables

My Username Is Dan
Grunge fan

Post by My Username Is Dan » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:51 pm

So, I would like to know, #1, does anyone have the 64 Funny Cars/Hell's Half Acre single they could share online?? I am a big fan of the band, Just wanted to know if that would happen. And I hope that Sub Pop agrees sooner or later to the idea of the compilation, that would be wonderful.

Please respond,
Thanks,
Dan

cupid_come_as_u_r
Grunge God

Post by cupid_come_as_u_r » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:52 pm

My Username Is Dan wrote:So, I would like to know, #1, does anyone have the 64 Funny Cars/Hell's Half Acre single they could share online?? I am a big fan of the band, Just wanted to know if that would happen. And I hope that Sub Pop agrees sooner or later to the idea of the compilation, that would be wonderful.

Please respond,
Thanks,
Dan
Your username is epic.

Luciditypro
Grunge God

Post by Luciditypro » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:11 pm

My Username Is Dan wrote:So, I would like to know, #1, does anyone have the 64 Funny Cars/Hell's Half Acre single they could share online?? I am a big fan of the band, Just wanted to know if that would happen. And I hope that Sub Pop agrees sooner or later to the idea of the compilation, that would be wonderful.

Please respond,
Thanks,
Dan
Make a intro, please? :)
Shake it like a Polaroid picture.

Follow your dreams, no one can stop you.
Except a person in a tank.
A person in a tank could probably stop you.