Cat Butt

A section for bands from the original grunge explosion that don't have their own category.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, KristinNirvana, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon

SayHello2Heaven

Cat Butt

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:30 pm

Featured on Sub Pop 200, a very rocking band. Big Cigar is constantly playing on my ipod. I even have the vinyl "Journey To The Center Of Cat Butt" which is amazing :geek: . I know there are fans around here.....

grungebeautiful
Grunge fanatic

Re: Cat Butt

Post by grungebeautiful » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:45 pm

oh yeah, cat butt..not a fan, actually.

i have that album too. it's not my favorite.
"they made a big mistake - they didn't go further&find more of the bands that were already here. thats what makes me feel guilty about the success of our band" - EDDiE VEDDER

OVERCAST HYPE GRUNGE RADIO

SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:51 pm

Yeah I suppose their sound isn't for everyone. You might like Brother James' other band 64 Spiders, he's wayyyy more influenced by John Bigley of the U-Men, if you like them at all :)

Pennyroyaltea
Grunge God

Post by Pennyroyaltea » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:06 am

Ive heard some stuff, and i really really like it, i would like to hear more if you could upload some would be nice
shanze wrote:And you will. You will.

Then you put your spell on him and Jerry shall be yours.

FOREVER!

j-bug
Site Admin

Post by j-bug » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:10 am

^2nded!
:twisted:

Pennyroyaltea
Grunge God

Post by Pennyroyaltea » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:12 am

:P

FOREVER!

j-bug
Site Admin

Post by j-bug » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:13 am

Megs...dontt make me cutt (get it?) your bloody toungue outt...

SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:14 am

I definitely can get you some Cat Butt, I can do that right now! :D

Pennyroyaltea
Grunge God

Post by Pennyroyaltea » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:16 am

SayHello2Hevean wrote:I definitely can get you some Cat Butt, I can do that right now! :D
OOOHHHH lol

jenna i still love you :P

FOREVER!

j-bug
Site Admin

Post by j-bug » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:18 am

of course you do!everyone does!!! :mrgreen:

i'm tryinmg to post the review for the PJ gig,but 27 songs is a lot to review! :lol:

not that i'm sure anyone wants to read it,but i'll have it there to remind myself.

and thanks dude!

Pennyroyaltea
Grunge God

Post by Pennyroyaltea » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:21 am

lol

FOREVER!

SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:22 pm

I think "Big Cigar" was their best song overall. And it didn't come out on that EP!!!
Ever since I heard James in 64 Spiders, i'm convinced that he was heavily influenced by John Bigley and you can hear that too which is awesome.
I have another vinyl laying around, their "64 Funnycars" that I can upload too. This record kind of went under the radar. Not many people heard or knew it was released but it's just as good as the EP.

brotherjames66
Grunge fan

Post by brotherjames66 » Tue May 11, 2010 12:44 pm

At this point, there won't be any Catbutt release on CD from Subpop. I tried to get the rights to burn an official master CD from the Catbutt 'Journey' record, Big Cigar and 3 other unreleased tunes, but didn't get anywhere with Subpop. I have the original master tape of the unreleased stuff, but we need the Subpop stuff to fill out a disc. That would be 4 songs from the Big Cigar session in 87, the two songs on the Penultimate single from early 88 and the six songs on Journey plus an extra track Dean didn't want on the record at the time. Wish me luck!

-Brother James

PS - John Bigley was a great singer and David was really influenced by him, too. Nowadays I try to sing more like James Brown.

SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Tue May 11, 2010 12:46 pm

Wow, thanks for the update Brother James! good luck with getting that done...Keep us posted 8D

brotherjames66
Grunge fan

Post by brotherjames66 » Fri May 14, 2010 3:10 pm

I'm not exactly sure why. I sent a message to Jonathan and he said it was ok, but never responded when I asked if I could come to their office and borrow the master tape. Jack Endino doesn't have it. I have the master tape of our very first recording session. It was done at Reciprocal by Jack in June of 87. I remember it being so hot in the studio we were wearing our t-shirts on our heads and playing in just shorts. The four songs recorded that day were 'Big Cigar', 'Skinstrip', 'You Be Illin' and 'Jesus'. David hates Illin now, so we didn't play it at the Catbutt reunion show in 2007 (20 years after that recording). Big Cigar went to Subpop for the Subpop 200 CD/LP, but it's also on this tape I have.

The master tape of two songs for Penultimate that went on our only 7" (64 Funny Cars/Hell's Half Acre) are nowhere to be found, but Volker Stewart said I could just burn it off the record.

I could also burn a CD off the Subpop EP, but that would be total pirating and Jack wants to remix it (Journey To The Center Of...). I don't know how to get JP to let Jack or myself borrow the Journey master. He joked on local TV once that he wouldn't press a Catbutt CD because nobody would buy it. He seems to not want to bother helping me and it doesn't make sense. Maybe I'll ask again.