Does this 90s Seattle band description ring any bells?

A section for bands from the original grunge explosion that don't have their own category.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

XsInMyEyes
Grunge master

Does this 90s Seattle band description ring any bells?

Post by XsInMyEyes »

I was messaging a contact in Victoria, British Columbia in Canada, and to cut a long story short, he says that when he went to see the Proclaimers at a theatre in Victoria, in about August 1994, that a grunge band who said they were from Seattle showed up as the support act, and played for about 20 minutes. He says the he can't for the life of him remember what the band's name was.
-
The crucial details that he remembers are that they looked to be in their early/mid 20s, sounded really heavy "punk metal grunge", were dressed in all-black, black jeans, black Ts, were all guys, and that there were 4 or 5 individuals in the band in total (he thinks 5 is most likely but he's not 100% on that).
-
If anyone has an idea, even if its a longshot, of which band this might be - my best guess is Willard, but that is based purely on the best match for limited information - that would be awesome because he's really keen to know which band this was.
Among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected.
- William of Occam

Io Opro.
KristinNirvana
Site Admin
Location: The Mecca, the Holyland, the one and only....SEATTLE!

Re: Does this 90s Seattle band description ring any bells?

Post by KristinNirvana »

Besides the big four I would guess My Sister's Machine, Gruntruck, TAD, or Coffin Break.
Life isn't nearly as sacred as the appreciation of passion
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud
Post abortive? Go to https://passboards.org/ for support
XsInMyEyes
Grunge master

Re: Does this 90s Seattle band description ring any bells?

Post by XsInMyEyes »

KristinNirvana wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:14 pm Besides the big four I would guess My Sister's Machine, Gruntruck, TAD, or Coffin Break.
Yah, TAD and MSM seem pretty plausible. I don't think it'd be one of the big four, because they were already pretty famous by this time, and are unlikely to be supporting an only moderately successful band - probably more likely to be someone either Mudhoney level or lower. I think Gruntruck or Coffin Break broke up around that time so...
-
Since MSM, TAD and Willard seem most likely, I will send this guys some of their tracks, and see if he recognizes them.
Among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected.
- William of Occam

Io Opro.