Chemistry Set

A section for bands from the original grunge explosion that don't have their own category.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, KristinNirvana, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon

SayHello2Heaven

Chemistry Set

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:26 am

You know, we need more activity in this section. C'mon post in here people!!! :D

Anyway, I know a lot of people have asked me about the band Chemistry Set and I always had to answer with "I don't know anything about them", or "I can't tell you much", but that ends today. Being bored in my room, a little under the weather I figured I do a little research on this mystery band.

The band members consist of Bill Campbell (from probably the greatest band on the planet; Flop :D ), Scott Sutherland (from the band Whitey. Perhaps a post coming????), Scott Vanderpool (from The Best Kissers In The World), and Tom Ewers.

We know this band best for their contribution to the Sub Pop 200 compilation with the song "Underground", which personally was a favorite of mine on the compilation. I felt that the bigger named bands didn't have a strong showing but bands like Chesmistry Set, Blood Circus, and Swallow had very powerful tracks. To most, if not everyone who listened to that track assumed that that was the lonely Chemistry Set song....Well, it wasn't.

They also were featured on the "Munster Dance Hall Favorites Vol III" LP released by Munster Records in 1990. They contributed the song "Sitting On The Top Of The World" to that. I'm not sure what other bands were featured on the compilation because a simple Google search has yielded no results. I assume this compilation is long out of print, and damn obscure.

But we're not done yet!!!

There is more to this band than being featured on 2 compilations. They actually released a record. Yes, a real legitimate record. It was recorded by Steve Fisk. It's titled "Fabulous Stinking Chemistry Set" and has 2 tracks on it. "Look Over Your Shoulder" and "Failure". Oddly enough it was not released on Sub Pop, but on Fatbald Records in 1989. I have not heard of that label until today so I have to look into them a bit more.

Ok, well the mystery band is no longer a mystery. Compilation apperances, big named line-up, and even a record produced by our beloved Steve Fisk. There is still a major question mark about the bands record releases. I assume there must be more but I haven't seen anything. These guys are truly an amazing band. If you have the Sub Pop 200 compilation you will agree with me. They are truly a rocking band 8D

SayHello2Heaven

Re: Chemistry Set

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:54 pm

Yeah, all I have is the "Underground" track. If I could somehow find the album or the other songs I will post them, but I doubt i'll find it in my lifetime! :lol:

As for CD's of the band. I don't think they ever done that, and I hope some indie label does release some stuff. That would be neat :)

petisaverb
Grunge fan

Post by petisaverb » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:02 pm

I've also been a Chemistry Set fan since first hearing SP200 many years ago, and eventually managed to track down the 'Fabulous Stinking' 7" a while back.
Sadly you're not missing much though - both tracks have a more straightforward 80's rock style than 'Underground' (which I love) and were a disappointment to me.

However, there is still another Chemistry Set release not mentioned yet - the self-titled 12" EP on Rood Records that's mentioned in the Sub Pop 200 booklet. I've been hunting for this for for about 10 years now and haven't even seen a copy yet...

SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:01 pm

Thanks for the add of that album dude!!! Welcome to the boards, glad to have you. Make an introduction thread if you'd like :D Where did you find that Chemistry Set album??

H-Hour
Grunge fan

Post by H-Hour » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:35 am

petisaverb wrote:I've also been a Chemistry Set fan since first hearing SP200 many years ago, and eventually managed to track down the 'Fabulous Stinking' 7" a while back.
Sadly you're not missing much though - both tracks have a more straightforward 80's rock style than 'Underground' (which I love) and were a disappointment to me.

However, there is still another Chemistry Set release not mentioned yet - the self-titled 12" EP on Rood Records that's mentioned in the Sub Pop 200 booklet. I've been hunting for this for for about 10 years now and haven't even seen a copy yet...

Not sure if youve been able to track that album down. But.....heres a link to a blog that has it for download: http://wilfullyobscure.blogspot.com/201 ... ulous.html

MADGASM
Grunge fan

Post by MADGASM » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:10 am

Hello,

I am new to the site and i have loved grunge for many years, my first experience with Alice In Chains, anyway I have began to love this band Chemistry Set after hearing "Underground" off of the Sub Pop 200 album. So soon I began researching them, and found this websites forum. Right after I found these forums, I found a website, http://wilfullyobscure.blogspot.com/201 ... ulous.html where you can download there self titled EP Chemistry Set and Fabulous Stinking to your computer, if you have rar files. I thought this would be usefull for the other people out there who like me, love Chemistry and love Grunge Rock. The quality of the tunes are average, but it is still great to own these. :mrgreen:

Thank You,

MADGASM
( you can call me Dan )

JAMik
Grunge maniac

Post by JAMik » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:18 pm

Great band :) Very old school sound :) I had a chance to talk by email with a Drummer :) Great guy :)
Check my band POLIGON NR. 4 (GRUNGE) on YOUTUBE or FACEBOOK or TWITTER or INSTAGRAM

"I should be dead by know..."

ImBored
Grunge God

Post by ImBored » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:27 pm

i love em although i have only listened 2 songs of em
gs asgjgfzsdf nz

KristinNirvana
Site Admin
Location: The Mecca, the Holyland, the one and only....SEATTLE!

Post by KristinNirvana » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:59 am

Does anyone have the lyrics for Underground? Because I swear it sounds like "Come and join us because it's only underground" and I tried to see if I could figure the rest out, and am a little fuzzy on some of the words.
Life isn't nearly as sacred as the appreciation of passion
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud

SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:23 am

I'd have to listen to the whole song to get all of the lyrics....But that particular line goes "Come and join us because it's lonley underground"......

If you look where the grunge forum logo is at the top, it's written there :)

KristinNirvana
Site Admin
Location: The Mecca, the Holyland, the one and only....SEATTLE!

Post by KristinNirvana » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:41 pm

Actually I was referring to the line at the top, like where did they find that or did they just write it because it sounded like that to them by ear, because I swear it sounds like "it's only underground", but then I also thought it was "he don't know what it means" instead of "he knows not what it means" so I could be wrong. Just wondering if they ever released the lyrics or anything.
Life isn't nearly as sacred as the appreciation of passion
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud

SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:05 pm

I don't think they ever released lyrics for it, or at least there aren't any in teh booklets. But by ear it sounds like what it reads up top. And it makes sense with the lyrics of the whole song about music and making noise.

Jack_Armstrong
Grunge guru

Post by Jack_Armstrong » Sun May 06, 2018 10:43 am

There are at least 3 bands called 'Chemistry Set'. In addition to the Seattle-based band there's a psychedelic rock band from London (who were active around the same time) and an indie pop/rock band from Dallas, Texas.

From the few songs I've been able to find, Chemistry Set seem pretty good.

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace » Mon May 07, 2018 12:46 pm

Yeah they haven't been terribly prolific in terms of published records but they were pretty good!
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
P A I V wrote: fuck off i talk new york

Jack_Armstrong
Grunge guru

Post by Jack_Armstrong » Tue May 08, 2018 2:46 pm

incessantmace wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 12:46 pm
Yeah they haven't been terribly prolific in terms of published records but they were pretty good!
Did the band ever release a full studio album?

The only published example of their work that I am aware of is that one song ‘Underground” from the Sub Pop 200 compilation.