Sonic Highways

From the ashes of Nirvana arose the Foo Fighters. Talk about Dave Grohl's phenomenally successful band as well as his other god-like genius projects here.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

Y2K-kyle
Moderator
Posts: 9059
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:11 pm
Location: You're the only TN I see

Sonic Highways

Post by Y2K-kyle » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:23 am

As everyone more likely knows now, The Foos are releasing their new album on Nov. 10th, and they have a documentary thing going on with HBO about making the album.

Anyways, they've released two songs thus far: Something From Nothing & The Feast and the Famine.







I thought Something From Nothing was alright, but The Feast and the Famine was fantastic. What are y'all's feelings about it?
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep

FeedMyEyes
Grunge prophet
Posts: 1682
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:55 am
Location: England

Re: Sonic Highways

Post by FeedMyEyes » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:16 am

I watched the first episode of the tv show about the recording of the album and thought it was really good. The idea behind the show is good and the premise of recording a song in different cities is also inventive. However, the Foo Fighters are just a bit bland. It's a shame really, because Grohl seems like a nice guy and obviously really loves music and what he does, but his songs and his lyrics in particular are just uninspiring. He writes in cliches.
How can I begin anything new with all of yesterday in me?

Y2K-kyle
Moderator
Posts: 9059
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:11 pm
Location: You're the only TN I see

Re: Sonic Highways

Post by Y2K-kyle » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:23 am

I see what you mean, and I'll agree with you, but when it comes to bland rock bands, I enjoy me some Foos, especially since they've really kicked into gear.


Also, here's the new release, and my new favorite (not because it was recorded in my homeland :wink: )

otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep

FeedMyEyes
Grunge prophet
Posts: 1682
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:55 am
Location: England

Re: Sonic Highways

Post by FeedMyEyes » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:42 pm

Don't get me wrong, I like them on some level because they were a part of my teenage years. But the end result was really underwhelming, compared to how they were gushing about how profound an effect the city of Chicago had on them, it ultimately just felt like a lot of bluster when the song was ultimately pretty bland.
How can I begin anything new with all of yesterday in me?

Y2K-kyle
Moderator
Posts: 9059
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:11 pm
Location: You're the only TN I see

Re: Sonic Highways

Post by Y2K-kyle » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:53 pm

Yeah, I see what you mean. Hell, I saw a comment that said, "Once you hear one Foo Fighters' song, you've heard them all," and in all honestly they were not wrong.

Just curious though, how would you define the Chicago sound? Something From Nothing was lackluster to say the list, but I think the songs, thus far anyways, have been getting better.

Congregation does have a grasp of what the Nashville sound is without going 100% country. It should be noted that for this song Zac Brown, of the Zac Brown Band, joined in on the song.

That should also be mentioned that they did have guests, like Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick was on Something to Nothing and I think, if my info is right so feel free to correct me, the band Bad Brains joined them on The Feast and the Famine.
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep

FeedMyEyes
Grunge prophet
Posts: 1682
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:55 am
Location: England

Re: Sonic Highways

Post by FeedMyEyes » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:51 pm

Y2K-kyle wrote:Yeah, I see what you mean. Hell, I saw a comment that said, "Once you hear one Foo Fighters' song, you've heard them all," and in all honestly they were not wrong.

Just curious though, how would you define the Chicago sound? Something From Nothing was lackluster to say the list, but I think the songs, thus far anyways, have been getting better.

Congregation does have a grasp of what the Nashville sound is without going 100% country. It should be noted that for this song Zac Brown, of the Zac Brown Band, joined in on the song.

That should also be mentioned that they did have guests, like Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick was on Something to Nothing and I think, if my info is right so feel free to correct me, the band Bad Brains joined them on The Feast and the Famine.

I've only heard Something from Nothing so far. I'm not talking about the Chicago sound, I have no real idea how to quantify that. I'm just talking about lyrically which is probably my main gripe with the Foo Fighters. The first episode was a really interesting look into the history of Chicago music, some good interviews with famous musicians etc. I just feel that despite talking about how much he had been inspired by the city and the history, the lyrics were a bit flat. However, this is a more general complaint about Dave's lyrics. I don't doubt that he was inspired by the city and his experiences there but that emotion doesn't really come across in the final result. In my opinion this is something he's always struggled with, he never really seems to communicate complex emotions or depth through his lyrics.
How can I begin anything new with all of yesterday in me?

Y2K-kyle
Moderator
Posts: 9059
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:11 pm
Location: You're the only TN I see

Re: Sonic Highways

Post by Y2K-kyle » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:28 am

I see what you mean. When comes to emotions and lyrics, Dave is straight forward, and not making things complicated. I can several songs, excluding Nirvana, that he wrote and were close to not being his usual songwriting style. That's only a few songs though.

I strongly recommend listening to the other songs they're releasing. I believe that the other two are lyrically and musically stronger than Something From Nothing. But that's just me though.
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep

boxcar
Site Admin
Posts: 4351
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:00 pm
Location: Iowa City
Contact:

Re: Sonic Highways

Post by boxcar » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:50 pm

FeedMyEyes wrote:The idea behind the show is good and the premise of recording a song in different cities is also inventive.
I think it's interesting and not to take away from the idea Dave has but if you read the Cobain journals, Kurt had this same idea for In Utero but for some reason ended up scrapping it in favor of just going with Albini.
__________________________
You should check out Milk Duct Tape, the new grunge rock band on the scene:
"LIKE" on Facebook. Listen to new music here: MDT on Bandcamp

Y2K-kyle
Moderator
Posts: 9059
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:11 pm
Location: You're the only TN I see

Re: Sonic Highways

Post by Y2K-kyle » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:08 pm

Would you say he got the idea from Kurt, or somehow came up with it and it's just a coincidence.
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep

boxcar
Site Admin
Posts: 4351
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:00 pm
Location: Iowa City
Contact:

Re: Sonic Highways

Post by boxcar » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:58 pm

Honestly I don't know either way but personally I had the same idea before I read the journals but didn't think I had the means to do it.

Kurt had other interesting ideas on recording and I'm sure he shared them with the band sometimes. There was abb interesting one where he wanted to try recording the quiet verses of Heart Shaped Box on a boombox and then the chorus would be a high quality studio recording just to make the contrast so striking and powerful.

I guess in the end the only thing that matters is Dave realized the idea, otherwise it's just an unused dream.
__________________________
You should check out Milk Duct Tape, the new grunge rock band on the scene:
"LIKE" on Facebook. Listen to new music here: MDT on Bandcamp

Y2K-kyle
Moderator
Posts: 9059
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:11 pm
Location: You're the only TN I see

Re: Sonic Highways

Post by Y2K-kyle » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:33 pm

That's a lovely way to put it Dan :mrgreen:
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep

Y2K-kyle
Moderator
Posts: 9059
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:11 pm
Location: You're the only TN I see

Re: Sonic Highways

Post by Y2K-kyle » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:31 pm

Dave puts some insight about the idea and the origins of Sonic Highways:

otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep

sadie
Moderator
Posts: 8484
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:31 am
Contact:

Re: Sonic Highways

Post by sadie » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:02 pm

I like the stories, and how they find their way in to his lyrics. To me that's really interesting, cause I've had hard time writing about someone else's stories and trying to fit those in my own writings.
I come from a country of northern lights, lightless days and nightless nights.
I'm not gonna sit around and waste my precious divine energy trying to explain and be ashamed of things you think are wrong with me.

Y2K-kyle
Moderator
Posts: 9059
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:11 pm
Location: You're the only TN I see

Re: Sonic Highways

Post by Y2K-kyle » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:24 am

The newest song they released: What Did I Do? / God as My Witness



I've never understood the whole split two songs into one like this, and having hidden songs within a song like Velvet Revolver's Gravedancer (has Don't Drop A Dime in it after 30 seconds of silence and so.)

What Did I Do? is meh, God as My Witness is a little better but not by much.
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep

Zodiac_n_Black
Grunge prophet
Posts: 2018
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:15 am

Re: Sonic Highways

Post by Zodiac_n_Black » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:36 am

I'm enjoying these more than I expected mainly because the majority of the focus is on the local scene and the history of the studio. I have a lot of time for Dave as a drummer, as a guitarist, vocalist and songwriter he doesn't resonate with me at all. The stuff about DC and Dischord records was really interesting because I started listening to a lot of that stuff about four months ago and even have a little Dischord flyer on my fridge that they sent as a thank you when I order a Jawbox album earlier this year.

I'm really looking forward to the Rancho De La Luna one.
Debut album out now, listen to the whole thing on Soundcloud here ...

Image

Add us on Facebook and watch our video for Bad Pills here.

Post Reply