Sound City Movie

From the ashes of Nirvana arose the Foo Fighters. Talk about Dave Grohl's phenomenally successful band as well as his other god-like genius projects here.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

SayHello2Heaven

Sound City Movie

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:42 pm

"It was Rock and Roll hallowed ground. And it was our best kept secret."

"Confirming widely circulated rumors, Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters and Nirvana announced today that he will direct and produce a feature Documentary film, SOUND CITY about the infamous recording studio in Van Nuys, California. The film was conceived by Grohl after purchasing the legendary Neve 8028 recording console from Sound City Studios last year. The console, built in 1972, is considered by many to be the crown jewel of analog recording equipment, having recorded such artists as Neil Young, Fleetwood Mac, Tom Petty, Cheap Trick, Guns and Roses, Fear, Nirvana, Rage Against the Machine, Slipknot, Nine Inch Nails, Metallica, and countless other musical legends over the past 40 years.

Through interviews with the artists and producers that created decades of musical history at Sound City, the film will showcase the amazing history of the studio, focus on the albums recorded there that went on to change the world, discuss the human element of music in an age of technology, and feature performances from many of the artists that called it "home".

Grohl's personal connection to Sound City began with the 1991 recording of Nirvana's breakthrough album, "Nevermind". Selling over 30 million copies worldwide, “Nevermind” changed the entire musical landscape and forever altered the course of Dave Grohl's life.

Roswell Films, a division of the Roswell Records label that releases Foo Fighters music, will distribute the film. Key personnel involved with the film include Producer/Director Dave Grohl; Editor Paul Crowder (Dogtown & Z Boys, Once In a Lifetime, Riding Giants); and Writer Mark Monroe (The Cove, Once In a Lifetime, The Tillman Story). The film is also being produced in conjunction with Jim Rota, John Ramsay, and Therapy studios.

Speaking to both the art of music and the art of filmmaking, Grohl crafted the letter below to share his vision for the film. Information and future announcements related to the film can be found at www.soundcitymovie.com"

Ferglius
Grunge God

Re: Sound City Movie

Post by Ferglius » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:18 pm

I'm very interested to see this. Also wonder how Dave Grohl will fare as a director but I have faith

boxcar
Site Admin

Post by boxcar » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:24 pm

I would watch this no matter who directed it but I bet since Dave did it he really gets a unique perspective and is able to talk with certain people who might not do it otherwise. Very cool...

Zodiac_n_Black
Grunge prophet

Post by Zodiac_n_Black » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:09 am

Trent looks awesome with a beard!

This one looks as though they are all writing some tune together :shock: ....
Debut album out now, listen to the whole thing on Soundcloud here ...

Add us on Facebook and watch our video for Bad Pills here.

Zodiac_n_Black
Grunge prophet

Post by Zodiac_n_Black » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:23 pm

Holy crap these collaborations for this movie are insane, here's the track listing for the soundtrack...

01. Dave Grohl, Peter Hayes, and Robert Levon Been – Heaven and All

02. Brad Wilk, Chris Goss, Dave Grohl, and Tim Commerford – Time Slowing Down

03. Dave Grohl, Rami Jaffee, Stevie Nicks, and Taylor Hawkins – You Can’t Fix This

04. Dave Grohl, Nate Mendel, Pat Smear, Rick Springfield, and Taylor Hawkins – The Man That Never Was

04. Alain Johannes, Dave Grohl, Lee Ving, Pat Smear, and Taylor Hawkins – Your Wife Is Calling

06. Corey Taylor, Dave Grohl, Rick Nielsen, and Scott Reeder – From Can to Can’t

07. Alain Johannes, Chris Goss, Dave Grohl, and Joshua Homme – Centipede

08. Alain Johannes, Chris Goss, Dave Grohl, and Joshua Homme – A Trick With No Sleeve

09. Paul McCartney, Dave Grohl, Krist Novoselic, and Pat Smear – Cut Me Some Slack

10. Dave Grohl, Jessy Greene, Jim Keltner, and Rami Jaffee – Once Upon a Time… The End

11. Dave Grohl, Joshua Homme, and Trent Reznor – Mantra

http://www.antiquiet.com/news/2012/12/h ... borations/
Debut album out now, listen to the whole thing on Soundcloud here ...

Add us on Facebook and watch our video for Bad Pills here.

Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:39 pm

So, Sound City made it's debut at the Sundance Festival. And after the movie, Dave Grohl got his Sound City Players come up and play a 3 HOUR GIG!

Here's Dave's cover of QOTSA classic Hangin' Tree, and PLAYING BASS!

otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep

sadie

Post by sadie » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:50 pm

Even my real life friends are excited about this!! :mrgreen:
I come from a country of northern lights, lightless days and nightless nights.
I'm not gonna sit around and waste my precious divine energy trying to explain and be ashamed of things you think are wrong with me.