Super Bowl Performance 2014

The funky monks' monastery right here, loved by many-a grungers too.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

Y2K-kyle

Re: Super Bowl Performance 2014

Post by Y2K-kyle » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:10 pm

Yup, got paid to basically jump up and down and dance around. That actually explains why Josh looked like he was fucking swinging around like a mad man.
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep

SKUNCHBAG
Grunge God

Post by SKUNCHBAG » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:55 pm

Well you can't really blame them, money is good. Specially if all it takes you is playing air guitar.
sky above, voice within

Grunge_Chick
Grunge God

Post by Grunge_Chick » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:04 am

SKUNCHBAG wrote:Well you can't really blame them, money is good. Specially if all it takes you is playing air guitar.
Yes, but there are more important things than money.

Zodiac_n_Black
Grunge prophet

Post by Zodiac_n_Black » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:20 am

It is the Red Hot Chili Peppers though. It's been a long time since they've put the music first, and when you have been around as long as they have and been through what they have I can't judge them for that. People do a lot worse for a lot less.
Debut album out now, listen to the whole thing on Soundcloud here ...

Add us on Facebook and watch our video for Bad Pills here.

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:40 am

I don't think every rich person is obsessed with money. I'm betting that a fair amount of well off musicians/performers are obsessed with getting peoples approval and admiration. Its the only way I can come up with to explain certain things....like Elton John participating in Lady Gaga's special with The Muppets???? I mean there is no way on earth that Elton John needs to change the words to Benny and the Jets to Gaga and the Jets and perform it with her on a tv special in order to make rent. I've heard that him and Gaga are such good friends that shes the godmother of one of his kids or something but its not like his appearance was going to be a major boost to help out his close friends career. I'd bet being in the spotlight just really appeals to him....regardless of how lame it looks.

Overall its just a really good reason to create your own art. Handle it and treat it the way you want. Sitting on the sidelines and judging others doesn't accomplish much. Control your own "product" and see what compromises you will or won't make. You'll learn a lot more that way.

Zodiac_n_Black
Grunge prophet

Post by Zodiac_n_Black » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:51 am

Yeah, I agree. It's unlikely it's about the money as I'm sure they've all got plenty of that by now. It's an attempt for them to feel relevant, or maybe they've got to the point where there aren't many real challenges left and playing the Super Bowl is a new experience for them. I have no doubt that the limelight is addictive and once you get a taste for it it must be hard to not want more, all the more reason to respect those that are strong enough to walk away from it.

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:25 pm

The Rolling Stones... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:36 pm

Zodiac_n_Black wrote:Yeah, I agree. It's unlikely it's about the money as I'm sure they've all got plenty of that by now. It's an attempt for them to feel relevant, or maybe they've got to the point where there aren't many real challenges left and playing the Super Bowl is a new experience for them. I have no doubt that the limelight is addictive and once you get a taste for it it must be hard to not want more, all the more reason to respect those that are strong enough to walk away from it.
Canucker wrote:The Rolling Stones... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Those are so perfect :lol:

But Jim, I think you hit the nail on the head.
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep

Creeper113
Grunge prophet

Post by Creeper113 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:14 pm

Canucker wrote:
Creeper113 wrote:I would say that, after reading Flea's post about it that it's likely that all Superbowl half-time shows have been done like this, it's not like the rule was just for RHCP. A lot more performers do this and don't get caught than we know about.

Did you just say what I think you said about the blackeyed peas? :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking:
OH SNAP!

Mr.BananaYeah
Grunge prophet

Post by Mr.BananaYeah » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:27 pm

Zodiac_n_Black wrote:Yeah, I agree. It's unlikely it's about the money as I'm sure they've all got plenty of that by now. It's an attempt for them to feel relevant, or maybe they've got to the point where there aren't many real challenges left and playing the Super Bowl is a new experience for them. I have no doubt that the limelight is addictive and once you get a taste for it it must be hard to not want more, all the more reason to respect those that are strong enough to walk away from it.
Infinite respect for John Frusciante, the band is completely dead without him and his solo work kicks the shit out of any other musician anyway
[quote="Thurston_Whore"]Hey,Welcome to the forum just thought i'd give you my site adress and mabye suprise the wife for her birthday this year?
http://www.sextoys.co.uk/cat_Dildos.asp?dept=0?dealer=2035[/quote]

Zodiac_n_Black
Grunge prophet

Post by Zodiac_n_Black » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:45 am

Mr.BananaYeah wrote:
Infinite respect for John Frusciante, the band is completely dead without him and his solo work kicks the shit out of any other musician anyway
I don't agree, I've got a few of his solo albums and the more I listen to him the more I think he's only as good as the musicians he's playing with. I'm not slagging him off, his playing on Blood Sugar Sex Magic is absolutely fantastic. It's tasteful and economical and the songs are fantastic. I'm less into Californication and By The Way, his playing on The Mars Volta stuff is really good and I think he should have joined them.

I think people who call him a god on guitar haven't been listening to enough music because his output doesn't justify that title at all.

SKUNCHBAG
Grunge God

Post by SKUNCHBAG » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:03 am

Frusciante isn't a guitar god. From a melodic and harmonic point of view, he fucking sucks. However, he's good. Because TIMING bitches, fucking TIMING. The guy understands music.
sky above, voice within

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:34 pm

I'm a total atheist. Totally don't believe in Guitar Gods. Play what you want play what you feel who cares if it impresses others on a melodic, harmonic level or even if your timing sucks. If other people like it thats cool....if not, oh well.

SKUNCHBAG
Grunge God

Post by SKUNCHBAG » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:17 pm

Nah nah nah, timing is important. You can't jam with people if you don't have a basic sense of the pulse and that kind of shit. Not that 'tis too difficult to learn how to listen and go with the rhythm, there are no 'Gods' on what time is concerned - There's just people who feel it and people who wants to.
sky above, voice within

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:10 pm

timing is important if you want others to like what your doing or even put up with it for very long or even join in the festivities with another instrument but...probably the most important of the fundamentals but really its just the beginning of a path to pleasing others. I really just wanna piss of the neighborhood! Loud, out of tune and off timing are the fundamentals to reach my goal! :lol: :lol: :lol: