Daddy Hate Box

Just say no (to religion), but don't say no to Coffin Break!

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, KristinNirvana, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon

SayHello2Heaven

Daddy Hate Box

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:36 am

I'm glad to see thsi section getting some life all of a sudden! :D Keep it coming!

Anyway, since I have a really massive obssession with Coffin Break I had to write this post about this band. When I first heard of Daddy Hate Box, it was through the Teriyaki Asthma compilation with the song "Look Like Hell", I feel in love with the vocals (which you will understand why in a bit), the guitars and bass sounded amazing. It was exactly what I wanted to hear!! My Coffin Break and Flop obssession is well documented in this forum so if you like those bands, I suggest to look into Daddy Hate Box for sure!

The band members consist of Pete Litwin (from Coffin Break!!!!!), Steve Weid (from TAD), Alan Tompkins, and David Goff. And so there it is, the reason my love for Daddy Hate Box manifested; Pete Litwin. When I first listened to "Look Like Hell" I heard a voice that I heard before, but couldn't pin point it. But once I found out I was stunned, shocked, and of course a little giddy.

If you listen to these guys, they sound very similiar to Coffin Break, in fact that's the only band that I can really think of that resembles their sound at all. They were signed to C/Z Records and released "You Tell Me Nothing" on that label and produced by Jack Endino. I never heard it before, or seen it, if you've listened to it or have it post your thoughts!. And of course we all know they were featured on C/Z's Teriyaki Asthma compilation. New Rage records also released their "Sugar Plow" EP in 1990. I've seen this around but never picked it up.

As for playing live venues or who they shared bills with, I found nothing and messages were not responded too :( but I'm sure they must have played at least one show in Seattle, especially since Coffin Break played heavily and with big named bands.

MyHairsprayQueen
Grunge fan

Re: Daddy Hate Box

Post by MyHairsprayQueen » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:44 pm

Here's a little introduction about Daddy Hates Box that Adem Tepedelen(from New Rage Records) wrote for me about a year ago:"Our first release was the 6-song Daddy Hate Box EP called “Sugar Plow” in 1990. Daddy Hate Box was a side-project for the drummer of TAD (Steve Wied) and vocalist for Coffin Break (Peter Litwin). It wasn’t a full-time band and they never played very many shows or even toured. The record was produced by Jack Endino and it sold pretty well, despite the fact that the band broke up not long after it came out. The band’s name, in case you don’t get the connection, was a play on Mother Love Bone."

SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:06 pm

I'm not sure if they ever released a CD before. Everything I've seen have been on Vinyl; than again the Another Pyrrhic Victory was on CD and I didn't know about it, so you never know!!!! 8D

NewRage
Grunge fan

Post by NewRage » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:05 am

The Daddy Hate Box EP was never made available as a (legit) CD. There are still vinyl copies out there if you look on gemm.com or ebay. Daddy Hate Box definitely played some live shows. I think they even played with Nirvana once.

SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:10 am

And I think they played at the World Theater as well.....
Thanks for the info!!! Introduce yourself :D

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:16 pm

Say, you wouldn't have anything to do with New Rage Records, no?
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
P A I V wrote: fuck off i talk new york

NewRage
Grunge fan

Post by NewRage » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:36 pm

incessantmace wrote:Say, you wouldn't have anything to do with New Rage Records, no?
yep, that's why I chimed in. It's cool that people are talking about Daddy Hate Box on here.

Daffy
Grunge God

Post by Daffy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:38 pm

so we got label people on board :) cool shit :) welcome! :)
NEW SINGLE FROM TRIPOD!! SAFE PLACE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMD2YBJ ... e=youtu.be

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:39 pm

That's cool, I think we're already connected on MySpace :D
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
P A I V wrote: fuck off i talk new york

SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:43 pm

That's awesome!
welcome to the boards. I didn't realize it! your username should have given it away :lol:

DaddyHateBox
Grunge fan

Post by DaddyHateBox » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:42 pm

I know this thread is long dead but I thought I'd clarify the Nirvana comment by New Rage. We never opened for Nirvana but did open for Alice In Chains a few times as well as TAD, Blood Circus and others.

SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:44 pm

Good catch! This thread is never dead and always up for comments!

Thanks for clarifying that. Were you possiably in the band? :) I'd guess you were by the comment!

Wow, you played alongside Blood Circus :shocking: that sounds like a kickass show!!! Glad to have you around and keep posting please :)

sodajerk93
Grunge guru

Post by sodajerk93 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:53 pm

Anyone know who all the members of this band are? They seem cool.

Edit: Sorry, just noticed the first post. Ha ha.
I took a journey to the pyramids, there was nothing there but sand, and the ghost of a child who had never been born. In a thousand years, no one planted trees there, so all that grew from the sand was stone.

Ares
Grunge fan

Post by Ares » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:14 am

yes

KristinNirvana
Site Admin
Location: The Mecca, the Holyland, the one and only....SEATTLE!

Post by KristinNirvana » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:44 pm

I got so hooked on Kill Me when it was put up on youtube. I always thought they sounded like a mixture of Mother Love Bone, because of the funkiness, and Coffin Break

Life isn't nearly as sacred as the appreciation of passion
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud