Should there be a posthumous album?

The Knights of the Soundtable ride again! Talk about Soundgarden, their side projects as well as Chris Cornell stuff here.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

incessantmace
Site Admin

Should there be a posthumous album?

Post by incessantmace » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:37 am

I know this is going through various music news outlets but wanted to know what you guys think about this. Not sure if the band really had actually recorded anything or was just gearing up again when Chris died (fuck it still feels so goddamn weird WRONG to write that!) but would it feel right if they worked on whatever they had? Would it be an appropriate closure after the sudden and unexpected end of the band? Or would it feel like cashing in one more time, especially in the light of the many re-releases of old material the band had done before?
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
otherimprov wrote:And who made you president of grunge town?

Y2K-kyle

Re: Should there be a posthumous album?

Post by Y2K-kyle » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:36 pm

I mean, like you kind of hinted at, is there anything worth while to release? They finally released the B-Sides album and now are going through the process of remastering albums. As long as it they don't pull a Nirvana, and try to release EVERY shitty demo then I have no issue with it.
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:06 pm

From what I heard them talking about on radio it sounded like the album was suppose to be released this fall...and I heard that well before Chris passed...so since its a long process at that level I imagine it was well on its way to being recorded. Obviously vocals would be last but I bet there would be demos for everything and more and probably recorded live off the floor and sound better to my ears then what a proper studio recording would sound like. Don't know what their process is/recording facility they use or approach they had....high end home studio doing one tune at a time? lo fi off the floor demos and then go into a high end studio and go layer by layer? no idea..... but I assume there is something done. They seem like quiet guys who didn't crave media attention so I doubt they would leak bits of "fake news".... an official announcement that they stick too but is far down the road is what I'd picture.

Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:45 am

See, I thought they said they are going to the studio to work more on an album this fall but who knows. I'm guessing it'll be a while before we hear anything. We have a better chance of getting a Temple of the Dog 2.
otherimprov wrote:

evee103
Site Admin

Post by evee103 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:24 pm

Yeah honestly I'd rather a Temple of the Dog 2, it would just make more sense.
The Jeevies. It's a feeling you get.
Sorlag wrote:You're releasing on Mini CD? I thought that format was as dead as this forum

Canucker
Grunge God

Post by Canucker » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:03 pm

Y2K-kyle wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:45 am
See, I thought they said they are going to the studio to work more on an album this fall but who knows. I'm guessing it'll be a while before we hear anything. We have a better chance of getting a Temple of the Dog 2.
Once the election was over they did a review of how aggressive music is more popular when a republic party is in orifice and then they did a run down of what was expected as releases in the first year after the election and Soundgarden was mentioned as a fall release....based on what...I don't know.

Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:41 pm

Well that does make sense, I guess.

Besides, I think a TOTD 2 would be fitting personally than one last album, if there's any material.
otherimprov wrote:

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:26 am

omg a new temple album would be the most depressing thing :( I mean it totally would make sense but poor Eddie and the other guys :((((

(this is probably really cynical but we're approaching a point where it would make sense to merge the surviving original grunge bands into two or three outfits, no?
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)

Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:01 am

At this point, not really. Just imagine that line-up of surviving Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Nirvana, and Pearl Jam.
otherimprov wrote:

FeedMyEyes
Grunge prophet

Post by FeedMyEyes » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:53 am

Personally I hope they release everything. Whatever the end result, there will for sure be some hidden gems, and I'd love to hear Chris again.
How can I begin anything new with all of yesterday in me?

PJAICfan
Grunge God

Post by PJAICfan » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:59 am

If there's anything that's even closed to finished I'd say definitely release it in Chris' honor, but that's a question only the guys in soundgarden would be able to answer
Easy come, easy go
Easy left me a long time ago..

BleedTheFreak
Grunge guru

Post by BleedTheFreak » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:28 pm

Y2K-kyle wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:36 pm
I mean, like you kind of hinted at, is there anything worth while to release? They finally released the B-Sides album and now are going through the process of remastering albums. As long as it they don't pull a Nirvana, and try to release EVERY shitty demo then I have no issue with it.
Feeling the opposite. I wouldn't mind every single demo.
But yeah, in the same way I don't want anything like that distorted-history 'Montage of Heck' documentary crap.
Likewise, I don't want to hear Black Hole Sun/Fell On Black Days/Rusty Cage played fifty million times in a Cornell doc, but I guess I'm going a bit off topic.
"Black windows of paint; I scratched with my nails." | "In the darkest hole, you'd be well advised not to plan my funeral before the body dies."
instagram | 90's tumblr | No, I still don't listen to Pearl Jam.

Jack_Armstrong
Grunge guru

Post by Jack_Armstrong » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:23 am

Personal opinion, no. As much as I love the Garden I’m perfectly happy with the existing Soundgarden discography.

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:25 am

It seems the Cornell estate is still bitching about song rights. Just release the stuff for the fans' sake you greedy mofos :evil:

Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:46 pm

incessantmace wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:25 am
It seems the Cornell estate is still bitching about song rights. Just release the stuff for the fans' sake you greedy mofos :evil:
Is it the Cornell estate or is it record companies being ass hats? Kim Thayil has never really said who's causing the issue, probably to stay in good graces.

But man, I want it so much.
otherimprov wrote: