Chris Cornell Died

The Knights of the Soundtable ride again! Talk about Soundgarden, their side projects as well as Chris Cornell stuff here.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

evee103
Site Admin

Re: Chris Cornell Died

Post by evee103 » Fri May 26, 2017 12:45 pm

P A I V wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 10:38 am
sadie wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 1:21 am
So many rumors going on, I can't wait for the toxicology to come so the whole thing can be put to rest and people don't have to speculate what he did and didn't take.

Anyway, one positive thing about the whole thing is that I found my connection to music again. Past few years I've been so deep into politics and all that shit, that I haven't had music other than as a background. I didn't even remember how much it gives. And heals. Good feeling.
I feel the same way. I have had a few playlists I'd been looping for months and with his death I'm motivated and curious again about music. I love it.
Same same! While folding clothes I put on Badmotorfinger & Down on the Upside. Holy cow those albums are better than I even remember, DotU is a masterpiece! I don't think I've listened to those since high school :shock:
The Jeevies. It's a feeling you get.
Sorlag wrote:You're releasing on Mini CD? I thought that format was as dead as this forum

P A I V
Grunge God

Post by P A I V » Fri May 26, 2017 3:14 pm

Now you're getting it! Jan and I have been championing that album for years!
There's no such thing as a sure thing. Of this, I'm sure.
twitter, tumblr, soundcloud, instagram
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:38 am
I don know who invented beer but I gotta salute that person

evee103
Site Admin

Post by evee103 » Fri May 26, 2017 5:47 pm

I feel like in high school I took that album for granted, but now going back and re-listening to it after 12ish years I have a whole new appreciation for it. Mah goodness.
The Jeevies. It's a feeling you get.
Sorlag wrote:You're releasing on Mini CD? I thought that format was as dead as this forum

P A I V
Grunge God

Post by P A I V » Sat May 27, 2017 5:19 am

evee103 wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 5:47 pm
I feel like in high school I took that album for granted, but now going back and re-listening to it after 12ish years I have a whole new appreciation for it. Mah goodness.
I saw in an interview with Corey Taylor from Slipknot and Stone Sour where he said something along the lines of "I didn't realize how much of an impact he had on my singing and songwriting until he died." he explained how Badmotorfinger helped shape his musical stylings and his only regret is that even though he met Cornell a few times he never got to express that to him.

I got into Grunge through Alice in Chains, but the band that pulled me in full time back in 2009 was the Badmotorfinger/Superunknown/DOTU era of Soundgarden. I listened to that stuff, then I plunged deep into the grunge, and now I'm realizing how significant it all was to my growth.

Without it, I'd probably have gotten into metal or something and became even more of a social outcast.
otherimprov wrote:

Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle » Sat May 27, 2017 8:15 am

Jan's love for Down on the Upside made me listen to it in my later years in high school and it became my favorite album. Right now I am relistening to King Animal and it is so underrated. There are many great gems on it. Will definitely give Down on the Upside & Badmotorfinger a spin.

I started with Nirvana, but I'm sure now that I've listened to Soundgarden more overall and on a frequent basis.
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep

P A I V
Grunge God

Post by P A I V » Sat May 27, 2017 10:24 am

I'm pretty sure the band I've listened to most in Grunge is Pearl Jam, followed by the Melvins, and then SG. Like that Corey Taylor paraphrasing, I kinda took Chris' songwriting for granted even though I always considered him in my top 10. I was actually waiting for a bad SG album to come out kinda like The Devil Put The Dinosaurs There or Pearl Jam's self titled with the avocado on the cover. I thought they had so many years that I'd get a handful more before Cornell or ANYONE in SG died. I can't imagine how fucked up the rest of the band are about it. I've looked all around for statements by them and I've seen nothing.
otherimprov wrote:

j-bug
Site Admin

Post by j-bug » Sat May 27, 2017 10:27 am

Avocado is a fucking great albun
:twisted:

Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle » Sat May 27, 2017 12:25 pm

P A I V wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 10:24 am
I kinda took Chris' songwriting for granted even though I always considered him in my top 10.
I think many have, including myself, and now going back and relistening to the songs and HEARING the words now is like a punch in the heart.
otherimprov wrote:

P A I V
Grunge God

Post by P A I V » Sat May 27, 2017 3:11 pm

j-bug wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 10:27 am
Avocado is a fucking great albun
Life Wasted & World Wide Suicide rule, the rest of the album is eh and Parachutes is not good at all
otherimprov wrote:

Lifeless Dead
Grunge fan

Post by Lifeless Dead » Sat May 27, 2017 5:01 pm

Weiland, Bowie, Cornell.

My world is crumbling.

Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle » Sat May 27, 2017 6:31 pm

Saw this and thought it was appropriate for this thread. From Alternative Nation about Eddie Vedder's first show since Cornell's death.

Pearl Jam frontman Eddie Vedder performed for the first time since Chris Cornell’s death in Amsterdam last night, and while he didn’t mention Cornell by name, fans in attendance said it was clear Cornell was on Vedder’s mind during the emotional set.

According to dimitrispearljam on the Pearl Jam.com forums, a fan screamed, “I love you!”

Vedder then responded, “Thank you. I need it – we all need it. I’m thinking of a lot of people tonight. And some in particular and their families. And I just know that healing takes time, if it ever happens. It takes time, and that means you have to start somewhere. So let it be music. Let it be love and togetherness. And let it be Amsterdam.”

Electro_UK wrote on the PearlJam.com forums, “The show was pretty much entirely about Chris without directly mentioning him. It was clear Eddie couldn’t bring himself to talk about it head on. He spoke a little how the healing process can start with music and made numerous references to how sad he was and how much he and his friends were struggling.

Frankly it is the bravest performance I have ever seen. At times it seemed like he was a word or two away from breaking into tears. He mumbled more than usual, he violently stamped into the floor on Immortality and others and after The End I thought he was ready to just walk off and not play anymore.

There were funny moments and he picked up in the second half. You could hear the crowd emotionally gasp when Light Years started.

On the outro to Sometimes he cried out ‘Where were you, dear God?’ It was heart breaking.”

Reading this made me think about Cornell's mother-in-law attacking Eddie for not attending the funeral arrangements. Maybe this will show that he's hurting and cares.
otherimprov wrote:

KristinNirvana
Site Admin
Location: The Mecca, the Holyland, the one and only....SEATTLE!

Post by KristinNirvana » Sun May 28, 2017 12:53 am

I think some people mourn in different ways. It's possible he was afraid to have to face it head on, or it's possible he just felt like he had a duty to play the shows he was already committed to paying and not let his fans down. I seriously doubt he didn't care like she suggested.
Life isn't nearly as sacred as the appreciation of passion
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud
Post abortive? Go to https://passboards.org/ for support

sadie

Post by sadie » Sun May 28, 2017 1:36 am

For me, Cornells mother in law just lost lots of points. She seems just desperate and attention seeking after those tweets. It might be that she was drunk or medicated, who knows. That was just uncalled for. Not to mention that Eddie has always been very private person. Anyway, I don't believe in dragging things like that out in the public. Those are things that are handled behind the closed doors.

I think Matt Cameron was the only one who gave a statement. It wasn't "public", he made it in his fb, and that's really private. So yeah, I guess no one in SG has officially said anything. I can't blame them. It's a huge shock and their whole lives have changed.

Also, no love for Devil Put Dinosaurs Here?

edit// A post from Peter Cornell, there were two photos with it, first one was a baby photo of them, another one taken apparently not so long ago.
FRIENDS;
It's been difficult to put words together. My heart is broken. Chris was always just my brother. We just "were". No pretense. No dog and pony show. We didn't have to get deep all the time. Sometimes we only needed to just be in the same room and just be present. That was enough.
It wasn't until this week, it really hit me how he belonged to the world. That he is an icon and a legend. That being said, I am so sorry to YOU for your loss. Artists, actors, musicians. We rely on these people to lift us up. To inspire us and distract us in times of trouble. Chris protected us when we needed him to. His one of a kind-ness surrounded us like a suit of armor. He was a warrior and a wizard. A howling wolf and a trusted mentor.
My brother gave freely of his gifts and it was never a struggle. He kept himself from the saturation of celebrity in such a humble way. The power and anger and passion of my brother's music was always genuine, original and legitimate. He was the powerful, sensitive, fragile, angry, mystical creature that will exist forever in his body of work. And he did it for ALL of us. Giving it away. Leaving all on the stage or in the recordings that will keep him immortal.
I will never wrap my head around his passing. I've been in shock since I heard the news. I can't and won't let him go.
Please know, with all the humility I can muster from the depths of a pulverized heart, I THANK EACH OF YOU for your kindness and condolences. THANK YOU for finding me through YOUR tears.
Hold your brothers close.
Much Love!
PC
The first time and the last time we were together.
I come from a country of northern lights, lightless days and nightless nights.
I'm not gonna sit around and waste my precious divine energy trying to explain and be ashamed of things you think are wrong with me.

Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle » Sun May 28, 2017 1:05 pm

sadie wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 1:36 am
Also, no love for Devil Put Dinosaurs Here?
I love Devil Put Dinosaurs Here. Then again that shouldn't be a surprise from me since I generally have the tendency to liking albums that most people dislike. :lol:

Also, how does everyone feel about media outlets releasing pictures of the funeral services? I feel conflicted about it because it is a private affair, yet it is almost amazing to see all of them come together to pay their final respects and goodbyes to Chris.
otherimprov wrote:

jarofchains
Grunge fan

Post by jarofchains » Sun May 28, 2017 7:21 pm

Y2K-kyle wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 8:15 am
Jan's love for Down on the Upside made me listen to it in my later years in high school and it became my favorite album. Right now I am relistening to King Animal and it is so underrated. There are many great gems on it. Will definitely give Down on the Upside & Badmotorfinger a spin.

I started with Nirvana, but I'm sure now that I've listened to Soundgarden more overall and on a frequent basis.
For me as a kid in the 90s Nirvana was the band that caught my attention. I must of been 9 or 10 when I first saw Smells like Teen Spirit on MTV. I think for alot of people Nirvana was the band to pull them into the whole grunge scene just because of their overall cultural impact and the music they played. They did knock the doors down and let the Seattle flood out. I still like Nirvana a ton, I don't listen to them like I used to though. With the passing of Chris it kind of jostles memories in my head and I can remember pretty coherently 1996 when Down on the Upside was released and me being 14 so just really getting into my teen years and connecting with their music on a much different level - KWHL up in Anchorage, AK where I was living at the time played so much good music - 96 going into 97 was the end of the Alt movement but I always look back at that time and all the great music. I eventually became totally immersed in AIC, they helped me through alot of my tough times in high school and I am still a huge fan of all their stuff (TDPDH was a damn good album!)

Like I said in my other post - Soundgarden was a band I wanted to really wanted to explore the summer of 2002 when I was 19 but Layne passed away and I just remember listening to Boggy Depot and the Deg Trip single CD (I don't think the epic double disc came out until November) so my Soundgarden exploration had to wait. Over the years I have become more and more into them though - just a ton of great songs and music. I regret not being able to ever see them in concert. King Animal is a record I only listened to a couple times when it came out, I will need to give it another spin.

Long story short though is that I listen to alot more Soundgarden, AIC and Pearl Jam than I do Nirvana these days as well.