Chris Cornell Died

The Knights of the Soundtable ride again! Talk about Soundgarden, their side projects as well as Chris Cornell stuff here.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

Y2K-kyle

Re: Chris Cornell Died

Post by Y2K-kyle »

I nearly cried this morning when I read the news this morning. The only other time I had this reaction was when Robin Williams died. I can't believe it, and refuse to believe that it could be suicide until there is an OFFICIAL report.

Jan and I bonded over Cornell and he showed me the greatness that is Soundgarden. Just...damn it! :(
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep

Sorlag
Grunge God

Post by Sorlag »

sadie wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 3:45 am
Sorlag wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 3:26 am
Seems weird to me that most sites cite AP and no statement has been made on any of his pages including Soundgarden? Although I guess they would be quick to say it was a hoax if it were so :( :( :(

Brian Bumbery, Cornell's representative, told The Associated Press that his death was “sudden and unexpected."
//edit. I'm starting to think that what if it really was a suicide? Both Soundgarden and Pearl Jam are awfully quiet and that makes me feel like it could have been. Idk, just speculation. But still, it's quite weird that both bands are silent.
Fuck, what if it was :(((((
when the whole thing comes crashing down, don't ask me why, don't ask me why

Checks
Grunge God

Post by Checks »

It makes sense everybody is quiet, theyve just lost family/friend. Itll take time to process, but statements will come.
evee103 wrote:Welcome to the United States of Fuckery, where shit is fucked.

evee103
Site Admin

Post by evee103 »

I still have that picture I drew if him in 2004,I need to find that now.

I can't see this being suicide, it just doesn't make sense :cry:
The Jeevies. It's a feeling you get.
Sorlag wrote:You're releasing on Mini CD? I thought that format was as dead as this forum

FeedMyEyes
Grunge prophet

Post by FeedMyEyes »

I still can't process this. I haven't cried since I lost one of my closest friends two years ago but I'm crying again today. I just always thought he would be around, that I'd have the chance to see him live again, to hear the wonderful music he'd make over the next decades. Part of me almost hopes it is suicide, because it seems too cruel that he would die so suddenly so young of natural causes, after getting clean for so long and having so much more he probably wanted to do. I've never been so devastated at the death of somebody I've never met but I've also never had my life so affected by somebody I've never met. I think I was 13 the first time I heard his music, and it's been part of my daily existence ever since. He was the person I wished I could be like, and until this day I still sometimes dream of having a voice like his.
How can I begin anything new with all of yesterday in me?

Sorlag
Grunge God

Post by Sorlag »

guys it's actually being investigated as a possible suicide now :L
when the whole thing comes crashing down, don't ask me why, don't ask me why

sadie

Post by sadie »

Apparently ruled as suicide by hanging.

I'm actually nauseous :cry:
I come from a country of northern lights, lightless days and nightless nights.
I'm not gonna sit around and waste my precious divine energy trying to explain and be ashamed of things you think are wrong with me.

buckwheat
Grunge maniac

Post by buckwheat »

I feel so bummed out right now. Listening to Soundgarden got me interested in grunge style of music. And really my first love for a band to be honest. Such a talented man, gone way too soon. Going home to listen to soundgarden and loath. RIP Chris
Spite all my rage.....i am still making minimum wage.

Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle »

It being ruled as a suicide just hurts. At the end it may cause awareness for depression, due to his history with it.

Blow Up the Outside World was my way of dealing with my own issues and anger with the world. Just....I don't know guys.
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep

Daffy
Grunge God

Post by Daffy »

I dont know what to say about this, its...really fucked up.
NEW SINGLE FROM TRIPOD!! SAFE PLACE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMD2YBJ ... e=youtu.be

painkiller182
Grunge fanatic

Post by painkiller182 »

Would just like to drop by and say RIP to an wonderful man and wonderful musician.

I remember fondly listening to Soundgarden and Audioslave quite frequently during my youth, and it's very alarming that out of the 5 prominent groups I listened to from that era (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, AIC, Soundgarden, STP), that Eddie Vedder is the only remaining original lead singer left from these great bands.

I believe that by now, his death has been ruled a suicide. I'm sure this is quite shocking to many as Cornell seemed to be in great spirits. Nothing from his personal life or activity from social media would have forsaw this. He did previously address drugs and depression, but so did many musicians from Eddie Vedder to Pete Townshend to Kanye West. Nevertheless, this news is very sad and unexpected.

Today, I, like many other fans of his will probably be spending the whole day going through his catalog (infact I'm doing it as I'm typing this).

RIP Chris, you will be missed!

KristinNirvana
Site Admin
Location: The Mecca, the Holyland, the one and only....SEATTLE!

Post by KristinNirvana »

On the one hand I think being skeptical and not too quick to assume what the cause was is a good thing, after all the big mistake with the Kurt case is that it was ruled as a suicide right away, and if I remember correctly Chris did have a stalker, but on the other hand we do need more awareness of how anyone, at any time, could be suicidal. I posted this as a facebook status 17 days ago and think I should write it here,

"One of the biggest and most dangerous misconceptions of those with suicidal tendencies is that they aren't of sound mind. Literally anyone around you, even those you consider to be the most calm and rational and intelligent and reasonable and "of sound mind", can be suicidal.
It's just not about being super crazy out of your mind and erratic. You *can* have mental disorders like that that also have a coupling of being suicidal, but in general it's often a different way of viewing what you want out of your life vs. what someone else wants out of theirs (sometimes even coming from facing your own mortality better than others) based on experiences and differences of humans. It can come from trauma within someone with a sound mind and continue after trauma as well. In fact, it's often a life-long thing."
Life isn't nearly as sacred as the appreciation of passion
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud
Post abortive? Go to https://passboards.org/ for support

Lifeless Dead
Grunge fan

Post by Lifeless Dead »

This is the first famous death that really hit close to home for me. I've been bummed out since I read the news this morning. I was absolutely blindsided by this.

I discovered Soundgarden back in '04 as a young, budding musician. I have clear memories of hearing "Holy Water" for the first time and feeling compelled to pen something. Vocally, lyrically.. Chris became my hero that summer. This one cuts so fucking deep because it really feels like I've lost somebody who's been there with me from adolescence to manhood.

I enjoyed watching his interviews on youtube. The dry humor, the soft-spoken and down-to-earth demeanor. There was no pretension to him. He didn't carry himself like a rock star. As a fellow introvert, I saw a kindred spirit.

Fuck..

Why, Chris?

P A I V
Grunge God

Post by P A I V »

Lifeless Dead wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 1:00 pm
Fuck..

Why, Chris?
There's no such thing as a sure thing. Of this, I'm sure.
twitter, tumblr, soundcloud, instagram
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:38 am
I don know who invented beer but I gotta salute that person

sadie

Post by sadie »

Very true Kristin. And the depressed (and often suicidal) and rational being in me knows that, but the human in me is sad and confused and surprised anyway.

I have hard time accepting it. I've been thinking about all kinds of things. What if it was accidental? Like autoerotic asphyxiation? Idk. This is just so hard to accept.
I come from a country of northern lights, lightless days and nightless nights.
I'm not gonna sit around and waste my precious divine energy trying to explain and be ashamed of things you think are wrong with me.