Soundgarden News Thread

The Knights of the Soundtable ride again! Talk about Soundgarden, their side projects as well as Chris Cornell stuff here.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

incessantmace
Site Admin

Re: Soundgarden News Thread

Post by incessantmace »

New interview with Kim: He talks about how the reunion evolved and how the songs for King Animal cam to be. Kinda bad news: The B-Sides collection has been put on hold for now, although when it comes out it will be two or even three discs.

http://www.hailsandhorns.com/featuresan ... ng-animal/
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
otherimprov wrote:And who made you president of grunge town?

sadie

Post by sadie »

SOUNDGARDEN GUITARIST KIM THAYIL SAYS SMASHING PUMPKINS IS ‘A BILLY CORGAN SOLO PROJECT’
Soundgarden guitarist Kim Thayil responded to Billy Corgan’s accusations of Soundgarden’s reunion being a cash grab in a new interview with The Phoenix:

“There’s a lot of other bands; Alice in Chains came back a few years before us, Smashing Pumpkins -– I guess that’s not really Smashing Pumpkins, it’s just a Billy Corgan solo project with a bunch of new guys, right? But there were a lot of bands that became active again, Pavement became active again,” Thayil says. “I don’t know what it is; maybe when we were broke up we were all younger and everyone grew up and realized there’s sort of a lull as far as interesting popular music -– in my opinion.”

“When we started touring and we put out [compilation album] Telephantasm, there were some reviews that said, ‘Oh, well Soundgarden is obviously doing a cash grab.’ I thought, ‘Cash grab? How is it a cash grab? Since when is there money in making records anymore [laughs]?’ I mean, playing Lollapalooza was a one-day payday but… and by the way, since when do we need the money? We’re not like the Afghan Whigs or Pavement, we had a fairly successful career,” Thayil says before getting further heated. “Matt Cameron played in Pearl Jam for god’s sake! What the hell does he need to spend another, you know, 20 hours a week dedicated to writing and rehearsing Soundgarden songs and tending to Soundgarden business? He’s doing just fine thank you.

“I think for Matt it’s really just a labor of love and it’s a great creative outlet for him. He wanted to see [bassist] Ben [Shepherd] and I playing again and Chris and writing new Soundgarden songs. I don’t think Chris needs the money, it seems like he did pretty well with Audioslave and his solo career. When people said ‘cash grab’ I said, ‘Huh?’ I’ve been semi-retired. I didn’t need the money; I guess if I needed to I could’ve started a band and toured a whole bunch.”
http://grungereport.net/?p=20597

I thought that was effing hilarious cause Billy keeps talking and talking.
I come from a country of northern lights, lightless days and nightless nights.
I'm not gonna sit around and waste my precious divine energy trying to explain and be ashamed of things you think are wrong with me.

KristinNirvana
Site Admin
Location: The Mecca, the Holyland, the one and only....SEATTLE!

Post by KristinNirvana »

8D I love his answer.
Life isn't nearly as sacred as the appreciation of passion
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud
Post abortive? Go to https://passboards.org/ for support

sadie

Post by sadie »

Yeah, I think it was awesome too :mrgreen:
I'm not gonna sit around and waste my precious divine energy trying to explain and be ashamed of things you think are wrong with me.

KristinNirvana
Site Admin

Post by KristinNirvana »

'SOUNDGARDEN’S CHRIS CORNELL TEAMS WITH GIBSON FOR TWO LIMITED EDITION GUITARS"
http://loudwire.com/soundgarden-chris-c ... f21cf81574
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace »

Ben Shepherd trashes grunge label
http://grungereport.net/?p=25233
“That’s just a marketing, that’s like saying ‘oh this is detergent.’ Grunge was a fucking word used in TV commercials about scum on your shower curtains you know. It’s called rock and roll, or it’s called punk rock or whatever all those genres that everyone’s just like- we never were Grunge, we were just a band from Seattle. I see people misreading quotes about that all the time about that too, each band is their own band it doesn’t matter where they’re from or what scene they’re from, unless they’re trying to emulate bands from their town. Soundgarden didn’t emulate anybody, I remember before I joined the band they were their own thing, they were the first heavy band around playing the punk rock shows, opening for like Husker Du and Battalion of Saints and stuff like that.”
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)

KristinNirvana
Site Admin

Post by KristinNirvana »

"SOUNDGARDEN TO TAKE BREAK AFTER EUROPEAN TOUR, PLANNING B-SIDES BOX SET"
http://www.alternativenation.net/?p=29752
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud

Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle »

I hope Kim does finish up that B-Sides Box Set. We've been waiting for some time now.
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep

S0undGardener
Grunge fanatic

Post by S0undGardener »

"[...] Chris is going to be working on a solo acoustic record [...] "

At first I was like "fuck no!"
but then I thought: "King Animal came after few terrible years of hurting my hearing with fagotty Cornell's solo shit... so maby
if he's gonna disappoint his fans again and gets some critical punch maby he will come back to making music with SG in order to get some positive response from audiance"
So yeah, go and play your crapp Chris but let me know when the next SG album will be realesed.
Y2K-kyle wrote:I hope Kim does finish up that B-Sides Box Set. We've been waiting for some time now.
Well... the rule is simple: B-sides songs are usually worse than the worst of the A-sides... since the worst of the KA are already
far from good I think I don't want to listen to the B-s ;O
Last edited by S0undGardener on Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

sadie

Post by sadie »

Someone said that Matt won't be playing on Europe dates cause of Pearl Jam and I was like But Wait NO. I'm so happy I've been lied to cause

MATT FUCKING CAMERON THAT'S WHY.

Zodiac_n_Black
Grunge prophet

Post by Zodiac_n_Black »

Debut album out now, listen to the whole thing on Soundcloud here ...

Add us on Facebook and watch our video for Bad Pills here.

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace »

sadie wrote:MATT FUCKING CAMERON THAT'S WHY.
Amen sister.

sadie

Post by sadie »

SANTERIIIIIIIIIIIII

I’ve seen Soundgarden fifty, sixty times, and there are those nights where it’s not just a show – it’s a biblical experience. When you come out and your whole body is buzzing. I thought “Oh dear God, how do these four guys make this sound?

Jeff Gilbert

Grunge is Dead - Greg Prato
SOON :mrgreen:

shanze
Grunge God

Post by shanze »

:mrgreen: I still don't understand I'm going to see them! It's gonna be awesome.
A master of blöjäri.

Sorlag
Grunge God

Post by Sorlag »

shanze wrote::mrgreen: I still don't understand I'm going to see them! It's gonna be awesome.
Welcome to the club! :P
when the whole thing comes crashing down, don't ask me why, don't ask me why