Is Jesus Christ Pose REALLY controversial?

The Knights of the Soundtable ride again! Talk about Soundgarden, their side projects as well as Chris Cornell stuff here.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

Y2K-kyle

Is Jesus Christ Pose REALLY controversial?

Post by Y2K-kyle »

Jesus Christ Pose is more likely one of my favorite Soundgarden songs and I find it funny that MTV didn't want to air the video for it because many thought it was anti-Christian and refers to Jesus. I am a Christian and I am not offended because the song talked about how corporations use religion for there personal wealth gain.

Your thoughts
Last edited by Y2K-kyle on Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep
SunnyJim

Re: Is Jesus Christ Pose REALLY controversial?

Post by SunnyJim »

I didn't even know anyone considered it controversial. No, I wouldn't say it is meant to be offensive to christians. If you look at the lyrics, it's not like they're anti-christian or anything.
Holding back the fool again.
SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven »

I didn't knwo MTV didn't want to air it....Ironically, I saw this video on MTV a few times. Strange.
P A I V
Grunge God

Post by P A I V »

I had no idea that it was considered controversial. The media is too fucking sensitive, though, if they refused to air it.
There's no such thing as a sure thing. Of this, I'm sure.
twitter, tumblr, soundcloud, instagram
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:38 am
I don know who invented beer but I gotta salute that person
ImBored
Grunge God

Post by ImBored »

Slugg wrote:I had no idea that it was considered controversial. The media is too fucking sensitive, though, if they refused to air it.
check at the wikipedia the religious people said that the song was anti christian and im christian too(sorta) and i wasnt offended
gs asgjgfzsdf nz
Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle »

One reference to Jesus and everyone gets offended! oh and check this out Chris Cornell explains it too.

otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep
Beeswax
Grunge God

Post by Beeswax »

Every fucking song about religion is controversial... Look at Madonna's clip for Like a Virgin or Like a Prayer, I don't know which one is was, but there was a lot of fuzz about that vid too... Kinda stupid, but what can you do?
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/rissa333/andycolorbar.png[/img]
bluearmageddon
Grunge guru

Post by bluearmageddon »

y2kcage wrote:Jesus Christ Pose is more likely one of my favorite Soundgarden songs and I find it funny that MTV didn't want to air the video for it because many thought it was anti-Christian and refers to Jesus. I am a Christian and I am not offended because the song talked about how corporations use religion for there personal wealth gain.

Your thoughts
Fuck that, MTV. They played that one EXTREMELY blasphemous madonna video with jesus in it, and they're not airing jesus christ pose? fucking a.
sodajerk93
Grunge guru

Post by sodajerk93 »

Yeah, I'm not offended by the song either - it's one of their best musically and if anything it's defending Christianity and religion in general from people like Madonna who use their symbols to be controversial. Ironically the video had a lot of seemingly controversial stuff that made people think they were doing it to be edgy and anti-Christian. I can see why MTV would be uneasy about playing it just because of how intense it is, with Chris driving the nails into the screen and all, and I see why a lot of people would assume it's anti-religious if they didn't really analyze the lyrics and hear what the band had to say about it.

Plus it's over six minutes long and the main guitar part is just screeching feedback for a good portion of the song - sheer lack of accessibility could have added to the controversy of whether or not to play it.
I took a journey to the pyramids, there was nothing there but sand, and the ghost of a child who had never been born. In a thousand years, no one planted trees there, so all that grew from the sand was stone.
sodajerk93
Grunge guru

Post by sodajerk93 »

Beeswax wrote:Every fucking song about religion is controversial... Look at Madonna's clip for Like a Virgin or Like a Prayer, I don't know which one is was, but there was a lot of fuzz about that vid too... Kinda stupid, but what can you do?
Kinda stupid, especially when you consider "Jesus Christ Pose" is most likely an attack on Madonna and similar celebrities for using the Jesus Christ symbol in their "art".
I took a journey to the pyramids, there was nothing there but sand, and the ghost of a child who had never been born. In a thousand years, no one planted trees there, so all that grew from the sand was stone.
sadie

Post by sadie »

Origin and recording:
“Jesus Christ Pose” features lyrics written by frontman Chris Cornell and music co-written by Cornell, drummer Matt Cameron, bassist Ben Shepherd, and guitarist Kim Thayil. Some see the song as defining the “essence” of Soundgarden, as it is credited to all four band members. Drummer Matt Cameron said, “As soon as I played this pattern everyone dove right in, and within an hour we had the guts of the song. The approach we took on this one was pure assault of the senses. Canadians dance to this song.”

Composition:
“Jesus Christ Pose” was performed in drop D tuning and is in 4/4 time. Regarding the song, Thayil said, “The song’s groove reminds me of helicopter blades. I bent the strings at the beginning and end of the song.”

About The Lyrics:
The band explained that the lyrics for “Jesus Christ Pose” concern the exploitation of religion for personal benefit. The song is a criticism of how public figures use religion (particularly the image of Jesus Christ) to portray themselves as being ‘better’ than others, or as ‘martyrs’. Cornell specifically mentioned Jane’s Addiction frontman Perry Farrell as an influence on the song, explaining, “It became fashionable to be the sort of persecuted-deity guy.” In an interview, Cornell explained the term “Jesus Christ Pose”:
Found this from last.fm.
I come from a country of northern lights, lightless days and nightless nights.
I'm not gonna sit around and waste my precious divine energy trying to explain and be ashamed of things you think are wrong with me.
GrungeAddiction
Grunge prophet

Post by GrungeAddiction »

It's just like the "what if god was one of us" thing.

anything religious, and we gotta stay on our toes. Sadly, unlike Kyle,
some religious folk make a big deal of their gods names being used in a negative manner.

In other words: "Haters gunna hate"
:|
shanze
Grunge God

Post by shanze »

Layne Staley wrote:God's name is smack for some
A master of blöjäri.
Scarabola
Grunge God

Post by Scarabola »

The very existence of the phrase "Jesus Christ" in the title is what makes it controversial.

Imagine if it were called Buddha Pose.
Beyond Jaded
Grunge maniac

Post by Beyond Jaded »

In a pre-Marilyn Manson music era, sure.