Vicky Cornell Sues Soundgarden Over Allegedly Unpaid Royalties, Unreleased Recordings

The Knights of the Soundtable ride again! Talk about Soundgarden, their side projects as well as Chris Cornell stuff here.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

Y2K-kyle

Vicky Cornell Sues Soundgarden Over Allegedly Unpaid Royalties, Unreleased Recordings

Post by Y2K-kyle »

Via Spin.com https://www.spin.com/2019/12/vicky-corn ... V8aD-1LjuQ

The relationship between Vicky Cornell and the surviving members of Soundgarden has taken an acrimonious legal turn. In a new lawsuit, first reported by TMZ, Chris Cornell’s widow is seeking “hundreds of thousands of dollars” in allegedly unpaid royalties from the rest of the band, which she claims are “indisputably owed” to the late frontman’s estate. She is also contesting the rights to seven unreleased Chris Cornell recordings, which were among the last he made before his death in 2017.

According to Vicky Cornell, the members of Soundgarden are withholding royalties in an attempt “strong-arm Chris’ Estate into turning over” the recordings in question. These are likely the demo recordings that have also been referenced by Soundgarden guitarist Kim Thayil in multiple interviews about the possibility of releasing a Soundgarden album that was apparently in progress when the singer died. “We tried to get this going two years ago, but we’re not in possession of any of the demos that Chris was working on with them,” Thayil said in an interview in July. “We have copies of them, but what we need are the files, so that we’d be able to overdub and finish the record. We are not in possession of those.”

In her lawsuit, Vicky Cornell claims that the recordings in question were “solely authored by Chris; contain Chris’ own vocal tracks; and were bequeathed to Chris’ Estate,” despite the band’s claims that the recordings were made as part of a collaborative Soundgarden project.

Vicky Cornell also accused Soundgarden of engaging in “pressure tactics, harassment, unlawful conversion of royalties, and extortion” in addition riling the band’s “rabid fanbase” by suggesting that she is blocking the release of a final Soundgarden album. The full complaint can be read here.

Vicky Cornell shared a statement on Instagram.

“This was not the way I would have chosen to move forward. But I will not be pushed aside for someone else’s convenience or gain. I will not sacrifice our children’s futures for someone else’s greed. And I will not let someone else make me feel shame because the man I loved was taken from all of us too soon,” she wrote. “I will do justice by my husband’s work and memory; for our children and for everything we stood for.”

Soundgarden did not immediately respond to our request for comment.

I saw a post on the Chris Cornell Facebook page and was confused of a second then saw this. Talk about a real disappoint that it came down to this.
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep

incessantmace
Site Admin

Re: Vicky Cornell Sues Soundgarden Over Allegedly Unpaid Royalties, Unreleased Recordings

Post by incessantmace »

It's literally both the saddest and the most clichéd thing that could happen after a rockstar's death. I really wish that Soundgarden and Chris would not be among those ranks.
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
otherimprov wrote:And who made you president of grunge town?

Y2K-kyle

Re: Vicky Cornell Sues Soundgarden Over Allegedly Unpaid Royalties, Unreleased Recordings

Post by Y2K-kyle »

I feel the same way. It makes me sad seeing that and everyone knows Chris wouldn't want it to end like this.
otherimprov wrote:

sadie

Post by sadie »

Thank you for Vicky for making Courtney the second hated woman in grunge circles :lol: (stolen idea, also, I'm annoyed about the whole thing but kind of could have guessed it so..)
I come from a country of northern lights, lightless days and nightless nights.
I'm not gonna sit around and waste my precious divine energy trying to explain and be ashamed of things you think are wrong with me.

Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle »

sadie wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:53 am
Thank you for Vicky for making Courtney the second hated woman in grunge circles :lol: (stolen idea, also, I'm annoyed about the whole thing but kind of could have guessed it so..)
Pretty sure Vicky's mother went after Eddie Vedder HARD for not being able to attend Chris' funeral due to him touring and Chris' own brother. Not sure on that last part though.
otherimprov wrote:

PJAICfan
Grunge God

Post by PJAICfan »

This just all seems very unnecesary. Let the man Rest In Peace, it’s not like the band are releasing new records with Chris’ vocals on here and fucking her over. Seems strange.
Easy come, easy go
Easy left me a long time ago..

Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle »

PJAICfan wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:56 pm
This just all seems very unnecesary. Let the man Rest In Peace, it’s not like the band are releasing new records with Chris’ vocals on here and fucking her over. Seems strange.
This all comes from over some demos Chris and the group was working on and I think she wants Chris to get all the credit to get the royalties. Now not being paid royalties is whole other ball game but man I wish they could just compromise.
otherimprov wrote:

evee103
Site Admin

Post by evee103 »

I'm glad decentralization of music is the future. Less mess.

This whole situation is sad.
The Jeevies. It's a feeling you get.
Sorlag wrote:You're releasing on Mini CD? I thought that format was as dead as this forum

incessantmace
Site Admin

Post by incessantmace »

This whole thing is getting uglier each day.

Pearl Jam and Soundgarden drummer Matt Cameron has claimed that the official Chris Cornell Instagram account is run by his widow Vicky Cornell, and that it has now blocked him. Vicky Cornell sued Soundgarden earlier this week over royalty payments and disagreements over the band’s unreleased final album.

A fan wrote to Cameron, “I was unfairly blocked from the CC IG account just for pointing out that comments were being deleted. Including VC own answers to fans who were questioning her. They’re censoring people, and it’s looking really bad…” Cameron responded, “I’m blocked from it too. VC controls that account.” Cameron also said that Soundgarden do not have control of their Instagram account.

Vicky received strong support from Audioslave members Tom Morello and Brad Wilk when she made a social media post discussing her state of mind with the lawsuit, with the pair liking her post, where she said about attacks, “I am shocked at how often this occurs. It’s not just me, or the rock-star widow, or the political widow; it is the case for the vast majority of women after their partners have passed. It transcends socio-economic class, race, and religion. It is an unpleasant and unfortunately all too common theme. Hard-hearted family members, friends, and business associates; who will exploit a widow’s vulnerability when she’s broken and alone. These other people who have decided that her time is up as well.” System of a Down frontman Serj Tankian also voiced his support in a comment.

Shinedown guitarist Zach Myers reacted to Vicky using Chris’ account to post a response to the lawsuit news, writing on Facebook, “Massive f**king eyeroll.” He also commented, “Oh the misleading ‘pat on the back’ comments here are so misplaced.”

He later said she is not well informed on how royalties in the music business work, “She is a wench and always has been. She doesn’t know how royalties work. You can’t receive royalties on unreleased music.”

“She’s trying to cash in on something that can’t be cashed in on!!! She’s taking on Chris’ name without really having a clue who he really was. I’m not saying that I know him by any means whatsoever! I’m just speaking from experience with women of this ‘caliber’ if you know what I mean…” Chris Cornell’s daughter ripped Eddie Vedder’s wife in a comment earlier this week.

https://www.alternativenation.net/pearl ... isrespect/

Seriously, I would never ever have suspected my favorite band getting caught in such a maelstrom of pettiness and dirty laundry. Chris must be rotating in his grave.
"Buy a car, buy estates. Buy a baseball club, or something elite." ("Car Buying Time", Little Bears from Bangkok)
otherimprov wrote:And who made you president of grunge town?

KristinNirvana
Site Admin
Location: The Mecca, the Holyland, the one and only....SEATTLE!

Post by KristinNirvana »

I get the feeling of being broken and alone after someone close to you dies but it doesn't make any sense for someone who wasn't in the band to try to control it if there are still band members alive. The other people in a band should have more say in what happens to the band, the remaining music, and the social media accounts than the significant other of someone in the band, and that goes for males and females alike. Not your band, not your choice.
Life isn't nearly as sacred as the appreciation of passion
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud
Post abortive? Go to https://passboards.org/ for support

Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle »

Kim, Ben, and Matt are counter suing Vicky now and also anyone interested can look at the documents as well. Via Consequence of Sound https://consequenceofsound.net/2020/02/ ... uzjmDemXYc

Back in December, Chris Cornell’s widow, Vicky Cornell, filed a lawsuit against the surviving members of Soundgarden over royalty payments and ownership rights to seven unreleased songs. Now, the band is counter-suing Cornell in a bid to regain control of the unreleased songs.

In a motion filed in a Florida court on Tuesday, Soundgarden members Kim Thayil, Matt Cameron and Ben Shepherd argue that Vicky Cornell has no claim over the seven songs in question. Whereas Vicky maintains the tracks were solely authored by her late husband in 2017 at his personal recording studio, Soundgarden say that, in reality, the material stems from collaborative writing and recording sessions that date back nearly a decade.
Five of the seven songs were co-written by members of Soundgarden other than Cornell and have been in the works as far back as 2011, the band contends. They also claim that much of Cornell’s writing and recording took place in Seattle and on the road during tour, disputing Vicky’s claim that they were made at Chris’ personal studio in Florida. (Vicky has sought jurisdiction in Florida, whereas Soundgarden want the case moved to their native Washington.)

Soundgarden also cite numerous emails and text messages with Vicky Cornell in which she specifically refers to the recordings as the “SG files.” Their motion also includes press statements and interviews in which Chis Cornell specifically mentions working on new Soundgarden music.

The surviving members of Soundgarden are seeking access to these seven unreleased songs. “In part, they wanted to confirm the belief that there is sufficent recorded material… for a last Soundgarden studio album — a project that the surviving band members believe they owe to Cornell, the band’s legacy, and fans.” However, Vicky is currently in possession of the “only existing multi-track versions” of these songs as they were stored on Chris’ laptop at the time of his death.

Soundgarden is also attempting to regain control of their website and social media profiles, which they claim Vicky “seized” through “improper means.”

In a statement responding to Soundgarden’s countersuit, Vicky’s attorney Marty Singer, said, “We obviously disagree with the band’s blatant mischaracterization of events, and stand by the truthful facts set forth in our complaint. It is disappointing that Chris’ former band members have now sought to taint his legacy by making numerous false allegations, and that they continue to withhold substantial monies from his widow and minor children (despite using those same funds to pay for their own legal fees). The issue in this case is not who wrote the songs but rather who owns the specific recordings made solely by Chris while he resided in Florida. We are very confident that the Court will vindicate the rights of Chris’ Estate, and that the case will properly remain in Florida, where Chris resided and recorded the songs that are now the lawful property of his Estate.”

Elsewhere in the motion, Soundgarden’s members reveal that they first learned of Cornell’s death on social media. “As their buses were headed to Columbus in the early morning of May 18th, the surviving band members learned that Cornell had been found dead in his hotel room in Detroit after midnight (tragically, Cameron first saw a ‘RIP: Chris Cornell’ item on his Facebook page, called Thayil who was on the other bus, who then woke Shepherd, and they and their crew frantically searched news, social media and called friends and family, until they received the awful confirmation from their tour manager.).”

“Thayil, Cameron and Shepherd were utterly devastated to lose their beloved friend, brother, and comrade, and were in a state of shock. As they pulled their busses to the roadside, embraced each other, and struggled with what to do next, their tour manager advised them not to go back to Detroit as it would be swimming with police, press, and other media, and there was nothing positive they could achieve. They also had a throng of highly-distraught crew and tour team members already in or headed to Columbus who needed support. So they organized a vigil in a conference room at their Columbus hotel, where they were accompanied by crew, assistants, and friends who hugged, wept, and attempted to console each other for many hours.”
otherimprov wrote:

evee103
Site Admin

Post by evee103 »

Holy shit, she actually stole control of their website and social media??? It's sad how ugly this has gotten, and I hate to say it but it really makes me question a lot about her.
The Jeevies. It's a feeling you get.
Sorlag wrote:You're releasing on Mini CD? I thought that format was as dead as this forum

XsInMyEyes
Grunge guru

Post by XsInMyEyes »

KristinNirvana wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:57 pm
... The other people in a band should have more say in what happens to the band, the remaining music, and the social media accounts than the significant other of someone in the band, and that goes for males and females alike. Not your band, not your choice.
Right, but ... out of interest ... if the significant other is in the same group as was the deceased band member... as with, for instance, Sandy Denny and Trevor Lucas in Fotheringay (both were in Fairport Convention, but never simultaneously), with Denny dying in 1978 (Trevor is now deceased, too)... should the spouse of the departed member have more voice over what happens to the band than the others, or should they be treated just as any other member would be...?
I miss the comfort in being sad. Drive away and its the same, everywhere death row everyone’s a victim. It's hard to start things over, You can feel the fire around us, All the time

Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle »

XsInMyEyes wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:27 am
Right, but ... out of interest ... if the significant other is in the same group as was the deceased band member... as with, for instance, Sandy Denny and Trevor Lucas in Fotheringay (both were in Fairport Convention, but never simultaneously), with Denny dying in 1978 (Trevor is now deceased, too)... should the spouse of the departed member have more voice over what happens to the band than the others, or should they be treated just as any other member would be...?
To play with this, all of the band should have equal saying so if a spouse passes while the other is in the band, then they shouldn't have more say than the other members. Then again it would depend on the dynamic of the band. The widow would have a better understanding if they were in the middle of making an album but nothing else beyond that when comes to continuing as a band.
otherimprov wrote: