Soundgarden Members want to Finish Unfinished Album

The Knights of the Soundtable ride again! Talk about Soundgarden, their side projects as well as Chris Cornell stuff here.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

Y2K-kyle

Soundgarden Members want to Finish Unfinished Album

Post by Y2K-kyle » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:50 pm

From Music Radar, when asked about any potential unreleased material, Kim Thayil said:

Speaking of unheard material, what state was the unfinished Soundgarden album in, and will it see the light of day?

“It was demos, but the demo quality was pretty good, because both Chris and Matt had become very interested in their home recording technique, so they might demo a song, and then Ben and I would add our guitars or bass. Maybe Matt might play drums to a riff that Chris had recorded. And that would be recorded by one of our engineers or techs.

“This is an interesting thing: our entire backline, our guitar techs, and bass techs, are all also record producers and recording engineers, so we love that they want to go on the road with us, and we love the guys in the studio with us, but the only people who do both are Nate Yaccino, Josh Evans and Dave French. Those guys have worked with us in the studio and onstage, and that’s a great family to have, to be involved in all aspects of a band’s career. So that will help us.

“So they come and record parts that we overdub on the demos. Right now, that’s all kind of stalled. We tried to get this going two years ago, but we’re not in possession of any of the demos that Chris was working on with them. We have copies of them, but what we need are the files, so that we’d be able to overdub and finish the record. We are not in possession of those.”

And what will it take to get hold of those?

“We don’t know. We’ve asked nicely, we’ve suggested that this will benefit all parties, if the band could just have these files, and we could finish the songs we were working on.

“But there seems to be some confusion amongst various parties as to what that would entail and how that works, and who that would benefit. And it’s been tiring, you know. And we can’t move on until some future date when someone realizes the value of allowing the creative partners to have access to the material.”

I actually would be okay if they did one last release with the demos Chris had before he passed away. I can see it being like Alice in Chains' "Died" and "Get Born Again".
otherimprov wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:17 am
Pinch yourself Kyle and wake up from your sleep
incessantmace wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:56 am
I tried to seduce my wife by singing Big Dumb Sex to her once. Didn't work out though, I dunno why

evee103
Site Admin

Re: Soundgarden Members want to Finish Unfinished Album

Post by evee103 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:43 am

What a shame, kinda shows the ugly side of the music industry...yeah it might be your music, but who actually owns it?
The Jeevies. It's a feeling you get.
Sorlag wrote:You're releasing on Mini CD? I thought that format was as dead as this forum

Fuzz Face
Grunge prophet

Post by Fuzz Face » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:29 pm

I kinda dont get why the label is doing that. I mean they are essentially saying no to profit by doing that. And last I checked all the music industry really cared about was profit.

Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:39 pm

It's crazy really. I'm curious what they can do with his demos but it all depends what you sign on the contract. I hate it for them but maybe someday.
otherimprov wrote:
incessantmace wrote:
I tried to seduce my wife by singing Big Dumb Sex to her once. Didn't work out though, I dunno why

Fuzz Face
Grunge prophet

Post by Fuzz Face » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:39 pm

Y2K-kyle wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:39 pm
It's crazy really. I'm curious what they can do with his demos but it all depends what you sign on the contract. I hate it for them but maybe someday.
At least we all have something to dream about now :mrgreen:

XsInMyEyes
Grunge maniac

Post by XsInMyEyes » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:09 pm

Fuzz Face wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:39 pm

There is unreleased Nirvana material that we've had, and still have, only to dream about for years!
I miss the comfort in being sad.

Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:18 pm

Fuzz Face wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:39 pm
True that :lol:
XsInMyEyes wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:09 pm
There is unreleased Nirvana material that we've had, and still have, only to dream about for years!
Pardon me for asking, but what's even left? I believe that well has all been used up at this rate. The only thing that's left to remaster is MTV Unplugged and/or Incesticide. Other than those two, I can't really think of anything.
otherimprov wrote:
incessantmace wrote:

Fuzz Face
Grunge prophet

Post by Fuzz Face » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:11 pm

I agree, everything Nirvana has already been released, there is nothing of note that has not been exploited by some record company or other.

XsInMyEyes
Grunge maniac

Post by XsInMyEyes » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:09 am

Y2K-kyle wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:18 pm
Pardon me for asking, but what's even left? I believe that well has all been used up at this rate. The only thing that's left to remaster is MTV Unplugged and/or Incesticide. Other than those two, I can't really think of anything.
Not Nirvana...maybe that was misleading. But there were some demos I believe recorded by Kurt Cobain, Pat Smear and some member of Hole...this was not long before Cobain died. No idea what the songs were but they aint available to the public and Id be interested to hear them
Likewise, I am keen to hear what Kim Thayil and co can do with the Chris Cornell demos...and thats the relevant thing!
I miss the comfort in being sad.

Y2K-kyle

Post by Y2K-kyle » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:32 pm

XsInMyEyes wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:09 am
Not Nirvana...maybe that was misleading. But there were some demos I believe recorded by Kurt Cobain, Pat Smear and some member of Hole...this was not long before Cobain died. No idea what the songs were but they aint available to the public and Id be interested to hear them
Likewise, I am keen to hear what Kim Thayil and co can do with the Chris Cornell demos...and thats the relevant thing!
[/quote]

You mean Eric Erlandson, the guitarist. I remember hearing some rumblings a LONG time ago but it looks like it may not be the case. I did some quick digging and found this on Loudwire:

While out promoting his new book ‘Letters to Kurt,’ ex-Hole guitarist Eric Erlandson reportedly spoke out about a potential solo album Kurt Cobain may have been working on prior to his death in April of 1994. Erlandson talked about hearing some of the material and how excited he was about it.

Not so fast though, now Erlandson is going on record to say that he never actually said that there was a solo album. Responding to fans on Twitter Erlandson said, “I never said there was a solo album. I was misquoted.”

Producer Butch Vig spoke out about the alleged demos after the news as well, saying that the new songs were probably “just in his [Kurt’s] head,” further corroborating that the lost disc probably doesn’t really exist. Vig told NME, “He was working on songs, but they were just in his head. He might have just played some songs to Eric... Around that time period he only wanted to talk about Courtney's album. I never heard any of his new songs."

So yeah, looks like there's nothing, other than Do Re Mi. Montage of Heck is most likely the last of Kurt's recordings, and to be honest some of those should have stayed buried as they weren't worth much but money's money.
otherimprov wrote:
incessantmace wrote: