How would you describe the Pixies?

Come on Grungers, you know you love us

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, KristinNirvana, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon

PunkingtonGrunge
Grunge God

Re: How would you describe the Pixies?

Post by PunkingtonGrunge » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:40 am

ah, but now we're talking about ripping off in particular, sorta my fault with that one. there is a difference between ripping off and being influenced by, if influence = ripping off, we all ripped off Mozart and Beethoven :P and they ripped off their predecessors!
Now I think it's alright, to feel inhuman...
Comin' at ya quiet and underwhelming from the unremarkable soundscapes of Farmer Jan!!!11!1!1one!!1
https://soundcloud.com/blueblueblur

Sorlag
Grunge God

Post by Sorlag » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:12 am

Buzzo talks a lot of shit by the way, Melvins made a whole album dedicated to the bands they're influenced by!
when the whole thing comes crashing down, don't ask me why, don't ask me why

TheHardPart
Grunge maniac

Post by TheHardPart » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:38 am

there is a difference between ripping off and being influenced by, if influence = ripping off, we all ripped off Mozart and Beethoven :P and they ripped off their predecessors!
I would say the difference is that if you're influenced by someone, you take lessons from them and try to do your own thing that's different. Ripping off is taking someone else's sound, tweaking one or two aspects of it just enough so you're not technically covering their music, and then calling the new stuff your own. This can also include combining the sound of two or three bands into one but without trying to change it much beyond that.
Buzzo talks a lot of shit by the way, Melvins made a whole album dedicated to the bands they're influenced by!
Right, the Kiss album. But that was a cover album anyway, wasn't it? And I get that Buzzo talks a lot of shit--that's obvious by his personality--but I sense he was sincere in his advice wrt hiding who you're stealing from.

Sorlag
Grunge God

Post by Sorlag » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:21 am

Everybody Loves Sausages!!!
They made it to tribute their influences and show their audience some artist which one might not have thought was an important influence.

TheHardPart
Grunge maniac

Post by TheHardPart » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:48 am

That's also a covers album. So, Buzzo isn't disregarding his own advice. He says hide who you steal from--but that applies to when you're writing your own music!

Sorlag
Grunge God

Post by Sorlag » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:05 am

Meh

Jack_Armstrong
Grunge guru

Post by Jack_Armstrong » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:27 am

Describe them? Not grunge, but they’re pretty grungy!