Officially in my 20s

For every grungers special day

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana, evee103

KristinNirvana
Site Admin
Location: The Mecca, the Holyland, the one and only....SEATTLE!

Re: Officially in my 20s

Post by KristinNirvana » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:21 pm

Zodiac_n_Black wrote:It looks as though a lot of the users on here would actually fall into the Generation Z category, the key characteristic being that you grew up with the internet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Z
That's funny because Generation Y says born from 1980-1999 which makes sense since it would be right after generation X which is basically people born in the 60s and 70s, so Generation Z should be born from 2000-2019.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_y
Life isn't nearly as sacred as the appreciation of passion
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud

Grunge_Chick
Grunge God

Post by Grunge_Chick » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:23 pm

Zodiac_n_Black wrote:It looks as though a lot of the users on here would actually fall into the Generation Z category, the key characteristic being that you grew up with the internet. Whilst it was around in the 90's it was by no means widespread. I knew a couple of people who had email accounts in 1999 but that was about it. I didn't know the difference between email address and a website until I went to university in 2001. :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Z
I can sympathize with that haha! I actually didn't have internet at home until I was 15 or so and I still have my very first email address from 2001. I also think I am part of the last generation who can say that they went to a school without a computer lab or having instant access to the internet.

Zodiac_n_Black
Grunge prophet

Post by Zodiac_n_Black » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:34 pm

I guess because there has been such a massive change in society thanks mainly to the widespread use of the internet it probably is worth making the distinction. Someone who was a teenager in the late 1990's would have had quite a considerably different experience growing up than someone in the early 2000's because there was a lot of stuff that just wasn't available.

Imagine trying to find out about bands when the only way is to buy magazines, speak to people in record shops or if you were lucky enough to have MTV, then that obviously would help a lot. Radio used to be so much more important than it is today.

Now if someone mentions a band in passing on here I can most likely find most of their back catalogue online either through Spotify or YouTube within minutes. It would have taken months to track down the obscure stuff back then because you would have to order it from your local record store and then you had to find a way of paying for it.

In a way peoples music tastes were dictated by what they had access to, such as your parents record collection, what you and your friends had and what you could record off the radio. I think there is a certain charm to that, and I listened the heck out of my dads records. Fortunately he did and still does have amazing taste in music. Now everyone has access to everything and don't get me wrong that is such a great thing for young people to have but it will be interesting to see what they do with it over the coming decades.

Sorry... YET AGAIN I have taken a thread off on a tangent.
Debut album out now, listen to the whole thing on Soundcloud here ...

Add us on Facebook and watch our video for Bad Pills here.

Stargazer
Grunge guru

Post by Stargazer » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:23 pm

The internet and modern technology will be the doom of the human race. Step by step, you'll see it, obviously it's not an overnight thing.
Generation Z or whatever are "Internet Natives". They were born and grew up using the internet. I'd consider myself to be an "Internet immigrant" I grew up without but have also passed a good part of my life with it, unlike my folks who are well into their 60s. They don't give a fuck about using the internet, why should they? All they have known is living in the real world, not behind a screen connected to a heap of wires.
I do recognise the internet's great uses, but hell I wouldn't mind not having it all in all honesty. I miss the days calling my friends and getting straight answers about things. Now it's so easy to hide behind a screen which promotes falseness to some extent.

Everything is so easy. You can find anything you want, be it good or bad. It makes people lazy. You are safe as long as you live in your bubble. But real life, out there, that will challenge you and if you are hungry for it, it can be the most beautiful thing.

When I wanted to buy my first music album, my parents wouldn't simply give me the money to buy it. Instead I had to bargain with them, do extra jobs/chores around the farm. I had to use my melon to get what wanted. Not simply download it... any meathead can do that, it requires no rational thinking or even guile.
[size=150]If it doesn't say Gary Busey on the tin, it ain't Gary Busey in the tin[/size]

KristinNirvana
Site Admin

Post by KristinNirvana » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:37 pm

Yeah I'm always thinking stuff like that. The internet makes it so easy to look stuff up that people become jaded with that and then never really learn what to do without the internet, so it sort of makes people helpless without it. My family didn't get our first computer until I was either 6 or 9 (between those ages is a little blurry) and even then we didn't use the internet all that much. Basically it was 2005 on up we really stated using it, though still not nearly as much as now, and that's also when I first started watching music videos, I think my brother showed me some on Yahoo music, I would later remember watching Nirvana videos that year as I found them on youtube when we started doing that.
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud

evee103
Site Admin

Post by evee103 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:22 am

Happy birthday to the internet's grunge guruiss!!
The Jeevies. It's a feeling you get.
Sorlag wrote:You're releasing on Mini CD? I thought that format was as dead as this forum

KristinNirvana
Site Admin

Post by KristinNirvana » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:02 am

Thank you! I'm officially 25/quarter life now! My how time flies.
Lesser Known Grunge
Good Newer Grunge
Underground Older Grunge
Grunge Blog
My Soundcloud