Favorite Hole album and Why

Hole lotta Love! Discuss all things Courtney related here.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, KristinNirvana, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon

sadie

Re: Favorite Hole album and Why

Post by sadie » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:08 am

Haven't been Hole fan very long time, though I've been Courntey fan since I was a kid. I've been listening Live Through This and Celebrity Skin ALOT, and lately I've tried to listen My Body, the Hand Grenade. Pretty on the Inside is opening to me, slowly, but anyway.

I will say that Live Through This is my favourite, I really like most of the lyrics and the whole feeling I get. It's helped me through alot past year, and makes me feel good about myself.
I come from a country of northern lights, lightless days and nightless nights.
I'm not gonna sit around and waste my precious divine energy trying to explain and be ashamed of things you think are wrong with me.

infinitegrunge
Grunge zealot

Post by infinitegrunge » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:33 pm

All I can say about Pretty on the Inside is that it's probably the best album I've ever heard, and that the more I listen to it, the more I like it. At first I didn't like it much at all, but it grew on me. I guess I had to make a few changes to it though, because I hate "Teenage Whore" so I got rid of it and forgot about it, and replaced the album version of "Garbadge Man" with the video version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luliNnzwk5s) because it's a million times better.

Nathan
Grunge maniac

Post by Nathan » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:01 am

Pretty on the Inside, I got hated on it for that being my favorite hole album a few times.
Of course what they said is "Live through this is better !!:@!"

Beeswax
Grunge God

Post by Beeswax » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:19 am

I can't choose. I love the rawness of POTI, the edgy LTT, and poppy, girly CS. They're all equal to me, really. :)
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/rissa333/andycolorbar.png[/img]

sodajerk93
Grunge guru

Post by sodajerk93 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:58 pm

Live through This is my favorite, but I have to love Pretty on the Inside too for being so raw. The songs are about as catchy and creative as the ones on Live through This, but they're played in such an abstract way that they're almost completely inaccessible. I have never heard an album that comes close to being that intense -- especially "Good Sister Bad Sister" and "Mrs. Jones". Fucking scary, and once you get into them, more emotionally powerful than anything else they recorded later.

Live through This has a huge amount of emotional power too, but it seems more positive to me. Pretty on the Inside is pure negativity and bitter rage, and then Live through This is all summed up by the awesome "FUCK...YOU!" at the end of "I Think that I Would Die". Like Courtney and the band were forced to stand up over their own negativity and rage, and do something about it. That's just what I hear in it... Pretty powerful album.
I took a journey to the pyramids, there was nothing there but sand, and the ghost of a child who had never been born. In a thousand years, no one planted trees there, so all that grew from the sand was stone.

infinitegrunge
Grunge zealot

Post by infinitegrunge » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:38 am

That's a really good explanation of the differences between the two

Luciditypro
Grunge God

Post by Luciditypro » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:10 pm

My head is going to be bitten off for this.... I'm not a Hole fan....
Shake it like a Polaroid picture.

Follow your dreams, no one can stop you.
Except a person in a tank.
A person in a tank could probably stop you.

sadie

Post by sadie » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:06 am

Luciditypro wrote:My head is going to be bitten off for this.... I'm not a Hole fan....
nope, that would be stopid :) Thank god we don't all like the same things, it would be totally boring.

And what comes to Hole, I can't anymore say what's my fave album. Lets say that there is a perfect Hole song for every mood swing :mrgreen:
I come from a country of northern lights, lightless days and nightless nights.
I'm not gonna sit around and waste my precious divine energy trying to explain and be ashamed of things you think are wrong with me.

Luciditypro
Grunge God

Post by Luciditypro » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:19 am

Well that makes me feel alot better! :lol:
Shake it like a Polaroid picture.

Follow your dreams, no one can stop you.
Except a person in a tank.
A person in a tank could probably stop you.

boxcar
Site Admin

Post by boxcar » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:17 am

Live Through This... The songs, the feel, the lyrics... There is just something special about the album.

Thurston_Whore
Grunge zealot

Post by Thurston_Whore » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:18 am

Pretty On The Inside for me that album for me is miles in front of the other work they did,I think courtneys lyrics and writing skills here are second to none and besides billy didnt have to contrubute to this one like live thru this and celebrity skin,Other than that its raw its passionate and i think its a sound that sums up that period of time in music,Also courtney didnt have some stupid celebrity star status at this point she was just a crazy junkie writing great music and not giving a fuck about her nails comming off while attempting to play guitar.Also Kim Gordon & Don Flemming produced the record and Erics guitar playing throught the whole album is godly personally for me this was the highlight of hole they only got more popier/mainstream and pretty boring after this album. :D
[b]''If I'm the guy you're lookin' for
Just look down under some rock''[/b]

sodajerk93
Grunge guru

Post by sodajerk93 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:45 pm

Thurston_Whore wrote:Pretty On The Inside for me that album for me is miles in front of the other work they did,I think courtneys lyrics and writing skills here are second to none and besides billy didnt have to contrubute to this one like live thru this and celebrity skin,Other than that its raw its passionate and i think its a sound that sums up that period of time in music,Also courtney didnt have some stupid celebrity star status at this point she was just a crazy junkie writing great music and not giving a fuck about her nails comming off while attempting to play guitar.Also Kim Gordon & Don Flemming produced the record and Erics guitar playing throught the whole album is godly personally for me this was the highlight of hole they only got more popier/mainstream and pretty boring after this album. :D
Yeah Eric was a pretty unique guitarist... I've never heard another album with guitars like Pretty on the Inside. Anyone know what he's doing nowadays music-wise?
I took a journey to the pyramids, there was nothing there but sand, and the ghost of a child who had never been born. In a thousand years, no one planted trees there, so all that grew from the sand was stone.

Thurston_Whore
Grunge zealot

Post by Thurston_Whore » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:20 pm

Im pretty sure he did a solo record after hole and last i heard he was a guitar teacher or something along the lines of that.
[b]''If I'm the guy you're lookin' for
Just look down under some rock''[/b]

sodajerk93
Grunge guru

Post by sodajerk93 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:37 pm

Oh cool - I just looked him up, said he was in a band called Rodney & the Tube Tops, for whom there are no videos on Youtube. It would be cool to have the guy who created the sound on Pretty on the Inside teach you guitar... I've learned a lot just by listening to that record.

infinitegrunge
Grunge zealot

Post by infinitegrunge » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:14 pm

Hell yeah