Favorite Hole album and Why

Hole lotta Love! Discuss all things Courtney related here.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, KristinNirvana, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon

Alex_in_Toyland
Grunge fan

Re: Favorite Hole album and Why

Post by Alex_in_Toyland » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:27 am

(2 facts: i'm german and new in here...the entired english-thing's not workin so well^^)

first of all i got to say that i really dislike CELEBRITY SKIN!it's way too pop for me.
and honestly,i never occupied with Pretty on the Inside this much.but i love the song "pretty on the inside" as my alarmclock... :D

anyway,my fav album is called "My Body,the Handgrenade"!just because there's turpentine,drown soda,beautiful son,retard girl and miss world on it,which I freakin love.
I finally got my signature workin...

Alex_in_Toyland
Grunge fan

Post by Alex_in_Toyland » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:53 am

what's your favourite song of it?=)

infinitegrunge
Grunge zealot

Post by infinitegrunge » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:01 am

My favorite song on My Body is "Turpentine" ... totally one of my favorite songs of all time, but I like all the early ones on there.

Raven
Grunge guru

Post by Raven » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:56 pm

I fucking love 20 Years in the Dakota to death
If you've got nothing nice to say, say it!

Alex_in_Toyland
Grunge fan

Post by Alex_in_Toyland » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:10 am

Turpentine,Drown Soda,Retard Girl

:)

Fopp
Grunge maniac

Post by Fopp » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:24 pm

The First Session EP or Pretty on the Inside

The First Session -Mainly because it has Retard Girl and Phone Bill Song . But mainly because they were the first Hole songs to be put out.
Pretty on the Inside- Mainly because of Teenage Whore and Pretty on the Inside/Clouds

Favorite songs: Phone Bill Song, Dicknail, Turpentine, Old Age, Malibu

infinitegrunge
Grunge zealot

Post by infinitegrunge » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:50 pm

Fopp wrote:The First Session EP or Pretty on the Inside

The First Session -Mainly because it has Retard Girl and Phone Bill Song . But mainly because they were the first Hole songs to be put out.
Pretty on the Inside- Mainly because of Teenage Whore and Pretty on the Inside/Clouds

Favorite songs: Phone Bill Song, Dicknail, Turpentine, Old Age, Malibu
Hey me too. :) Those are actually the only Hole things I really like, but I like them so much I force everyone to listen to them.

SayHello2Heaven

Post by SayHello2Heaven » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:45 pm

Dicknail/Burn Black was their best album I think. Great songs, just love the sound.

Bleach
Grunge master

Post by Bleach » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:53 am

It has to be "Pretty on the Inside". I love "Live Through This" dearly, it's still my favourite album of all-time to this day, but listening to "Pretty on the Inside", that's my favourite Hole record.

"Celebrity Skin" was, to say the least, a horrible attempt at "keeping with the times". It was all Courtney, trying to make "her" sound coincide with her new image. It has a few decent numbers: "Awful", "Reasons to Be Beautiful", "Dying", "Northern Star", "Petals", but other than that it's just a complete shamble. I mean, "Celebrity Skin" has to be one of the worst songs ever written...

"Pretty on the Inside", however, is just beyond brilliant. It's got that actual raw no-wave power, that usually bands just put on to fit in with the scene, but you really get the vibes from it. I mean, "Teenage Whore" is annoying, but listening to the likes of "Garbadge Man", "Mrs. Jones" and "Clouds" is just inexplicable. It's just no-shit, straight-to-the-noise-and-dodgy-amps punk rock. There is an amazing rough mix of "Garbadge Man" which, if all songs were mixed like it, the album would of been better than it ever was. A very, very underrated album.

infinitegrunge
Grunge zealot

Post by infinitegrunge » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:44 pm

Bleach wrote:It has to be "Pretty on the Inside". I love "Live Through This" dearly, it's still my favourite album of all-time to this day, but listening to "Pretty on the Inside", that's my favourite Hole record.

"Celebrity Skin" was, to say the least, a horrible attempt at "keeping with the times". It was all Courtney, trying to make "her" sound coincide with her new image. It has a few decent numbers: "Awful", "Reasons to Be Beautiful", "Dying", "Northern Star", "Petals", but other than that it's just a complete shamble. I mean, "Celebrity Skin" has to be one of the worst songs ever written...

"Pretty on the Inside", however, is just beyond brilliant. It's got that actual raw no-wave power, that usually bands just put on to fit in with the scene, but you really get the vibes from it. I mean, "Teenage Whore" is annoying, but listening to the likes of "Garbadge Man", "Mrs. Jones" and "Clouds" is just inexplicable. It's just no-shit, straight-to-the-noise-and-dodgy-amps punk rock. There is an amazing rough mix of "Garbadge Man" which, if all songs were mixed like it, the album would of been better than it ever was. A very, very underrated album.
I couldn't agree with you more on everything you said, right down to "Teenage Whore" being annoying. The rough mix of "Garbadge Man" (you're talking about the same one as the video version, right? Because if not I really wanna hear it) is so good it changed my mind from hating the album to it being basically my favorite album of all time. I can't say I really love their later work, but I do agree that everything but CS had a lot of talent behind it.

This talk of the rough mix makes me wonder.. because there have to be rough mixes of all the songs and demos also. I wish they would be released. For example, the version of "Drown Soda" on the "Teenage Whore" single was from the album's first session, which was discarded for some reason. And it's really good too.

Fopp
Grunge maniac

Post by Fopp » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:55 pm

infinitegrunge wrote:
Bleach wrote:It has to be "Pretty on the Inside". I love "Live Through This" dearly, it's still my favourite album of all-time to this day, but listening to "Pretty on the Inside", that's my favourite Hole record.

I couldn't agree with you more on everything you said, right down to "Teenage Whore" being annoying. The rough mix of "Garbadge Man" (you're talking about the same one as the video version, right? Because if not I really wanna hear it) is so good it changed my mind from hating the album to it being basically my favorite album of all time. I can't say I really love their later work, but I do agree that everything but CS had a lot of talent behind it.

This talk of the rough mix makes me wonder.. because there have to be rough mixes of all the songs and demos also. I wish they would be released. For example, the version of "Drown Soda" on the "Teenage Whore" single was from the album's first session, which was discarded for some reason. And it's really good too.
I also agree with Celebrity Skin being an Ok album but Teenage Whore is a great song. The lyrics, the guitar, everything. Especially the first album session version.

infinitegrunge
Grunge zealot

Post by infinitegrunge » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:18 pm

Fopp wrote:
infinitegrunge wrote:

I also agree with Celebrity Skin being an Ok album but Teenage Whore is a great song. The lyrics, the guitar, everything. Especially the first album session version.
What do you mean?

Fopp
Grunge maniac

Post by Fopp » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:21 am

What do you mean?[/quote]

Teenage Whore is an amazing song.
Celebrity Skin is an Ok album.

About the Teenage Whore first session version, that was my mistake. :lol:

SunnyJim

Post by SunnyJim » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:14 am

i guess Live Through THis is my favorite. Because the songs are damn catchy but still not as poppy as Celebrity Skin. though i think Celebrity Skin is pretty good.
Holding back the fool again.

grungebeautiful
Grunge fanatic

Post by grungebeautiful » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:05 pm

definitely celebrity skin. its way too poppy for my taste, which makes it a guilty pleasure in a lot of respects. but its something that i can listen to and blast down the highway that i can sing to and fall in love with. live through this is alright, and pretty on the inside is wonderful but very hard to become accostomed to.
"they made a big mistake - they didn't go further&find more of the bands that were already here. thats what makes me feel guilty about the success of our band" - EDDiE VEDDER

OVERCAST HYPE GRUNGE RADIO