Favorite Hole album and Why

Hole lotta Love! Discuss all things Courtney related here.

Moderators: sadie, Y2K-kyle, evee103, boxcar, j-bug, incessantmace, Curmudgeon, KristinNirvana

infinitegrunge
Grunge zealot

Favorite Hole album and Why

Post by infinitegrunge » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:36 pm

What is your favorite Hole album? I will say that even though I don't especially care for much of their later music, they consistently proved that they could excel in whatever musical genre they aimed for, which is really impressive. I'm not just talking about official albums either, maybe you like Awful or My Body, the Hand Grenade.

I think most people know that my favorite Hole album is Pretty on the Inside. I think it's weird that so few people like that album, but I understand it's hard to listen to at first. I actually listened to Live Through This first, but Pretty on the Inside is my favorite Hole album because it's brutal and yet beautiful. It's not easy to discover the beauty, but once I did it was really surprising and affected me a lot more than the immediate pop hooks of Live Through This (which I almost never listen to anymore). I also think I like that version of the band the best. I really like Caroline's style of drumming, really like the experimentation, weird noises and funny songs, and think Courtney was more involved musically and lyrically.

Anyway, that's me. What about you?

Mithaearon
Grunge God

Re: Favorite Hole album and Why

Post by Mithaearon » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:24 am

I am with you on Celebrity Skin . I love it. It takes me back to happier and simpler times in my life

Raven
Grunge guru

Post by Raven » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:24 pm

I can't pick a favorite. XD I love every album, and different moods call for different sounds. I also like how Hole's sound went from dirty to rough to polished, there's lots of variety with them.
If you've got nothing nice to say, say it!

infinitegrunge
Grunge zealot

Post by infinitegrunge » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:26 pm

I wish they would've done one more experimental-ish album in between POTI and LTT though. They had way too much time in between albums.. they could've put out at least two more than they did.

Raven
Grunge guru

Post by Raven » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:37 am

Oh, for sure. But then they got a heap of b-sides and 7"s with unreleased songs, so there's that. I really wanna get the Beautiful Son single for 20 Years in the Dakota, Courtney has it on her MySpace and it's one of my favorites.

infinitegrunge
Grunge zealot

Post by infinitegrunge » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:24 pm

Don't you have My Body The Hand Grenade? It's on there, and I agree it's a really good song. I think I was talking about it the other day on here somewhere..

Mithaearon
Grunge God

Post by Mithaearon » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:31 am

Its a womens right to change her mind. I am not a women but I am claiming that right as mine :P

I listen to pretty on the Inside yesterday and now that is my favourite Hole album.

Stay tuned when Mithy listens to live Through This tomorrow and that becomes his favourite.

I love being really decisive in life :P

infinitegrunge
Grunge zealot

Post by infinitegrunge » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:52 am

Mithaearon wrote:Its a womens right to change her mind. I am not a women but I am claiming that right as mine :P

I listen to pretty on the Inside yesterday and now that is my favourite Hole album.

Stay tuned when Mithy listens to live Through This tomorrow and that becomes his favourite.

Hahaha. Even if it's only for a day, it's nice to have someone to agree with on that subject :).

Raven
Grunge guru

Post by Raven » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:59 am

infinitegrunge wrote:Don't you have My Body The Hand Grenade? It's on there, and I agree it's a really good song. I think I was talking about it the other day on here somewhere..
Well, I'm starting a vinyl collection, so every seperate single counts. :D It's a bit silly, but it's a fun way of finding the songs off that album.

infinitegrunge
Grunge zealot

Post by infinitegrunge » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:01 am

Hey, that's not silly, it's a good idea. Hole vinyls are getting extremely hard to find.

Raven
Grunge guru

Post by Raven » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:08 am

Well, for the stuff I want, I usually can only find them online, so they're not hard to come by. And some come along quite cheap, but to look in actual stores... Yeah. And what sucks is, I dunno any record stores around here that sell music from the 90's, because the places I find only have 60's, 70's, and 80's stuff. Hardly any of it is rock music, unless we're talking about classic rock.

infinitegrunge
Grunge zealot

Post by infinitegrunge » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:52 pm

Mithaearon wrote:Its a womens right to change her mind. I am not a women but I am claiming that right as mine :P

What's your favorite song off it? I really like "Garbadge Man" and "Mrs. Jones" and I actually hate "Teenage Whore" which most people seem to think is the only good song on it.

Mithaearon
Grunge God

Post by Mithaearon » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:39 am

Teenage Whore is an alright tune, nothign amazing though.

Favourites are Garbadge Man and Good Sister/Bad Sister.

and told you I was a fickle bastard as I have been listening to Live Through This and yep now I am digging that again lol

Raven
Grunge guru

Post by Raven » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:35 am

My favorites off POTI are the title track and Clouds (basically the same tune), and Star Belly.

infinitegrunge
Grunge zealot

Post by infinitegrunge » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:41 am

Mithaearon wrote:Teenage Whore is an alright tune, nothign amazing though.

Favourites are Garbadge Man and Good Sister/Bad Sister.

and told you I was a fickle bastard as I have been listening to Live Through This and yep now I am digging that again lol
Hahah I knew you would've changed by now! Live Through This does have a lot of good songs on it. It's not really my thing but I listen to it occasionally. And I like "Good Sister/Bad Sister" too. Actually, it seems like all the songs sort of grow on you after you listen to them. I don't really like the album version of "Garbadge Man" as much as I like the video version though.